“Will not recommend it! Terrible night sleep, pathetic breakfast!”

Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Will not recommend it! Terrible night sleep, pathetic breakfast!”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed in this B&B with my family last October. We chose to stay in a B&B instead of a hotel thinking of having a welcoming place and a nice breakfast! The prices we paid for each of the rooms was about $200 so I do not consider this a bargain considering you can stay at nicer place (hotels) for less. The owners did not offer much advice on recommendations on what to do on a Sunday afternoon. We all had a terrible night sleep thanks to a combination of: (i) sleeping in an old building where you can hear every noise possible made by other guests, and (ii) the location of the hotel. I was at the point of laughing when having breakfast... Other than a miniscule portion of fruit served in a cordial glass, there were old cereal bars and regular cereal.
Finally, we left my daughter's tiny pillow in the B&B and requested the owners to mail it to us. This was a month ago, no news yet...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank moniwash
Chris S, Owner at Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
We appreciate the observations and opinions expressed by this guest concerning the Cornerstone and will keep them in mind as we continue to work to improve the experience of future guests.
Our continental style breakfast is available weekdays because the majority of our guests have indicated that this style best suits their requirements. Our offering includes; fresh brewed coffee and a selection of teas; fresh fruit; yogurts, orange and cran-raspberry juices; a fresh baked good or pastry (scone, muffin, etc.); and a selection of cold cereals. In addition, several varieties of breakfast bars as well as biscotti are available. These are restocked on a regular basis.
Both our website and in room concierge booklet contain a listing of a number of attractions near the Cornerstone. The Philadelphia Art Museum, the Philadelphia Zoo, the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, Center City Philadelphia, Boat House Row, are simply a sampling of the offerings in close proximity of the Cornerstone.
We do apologize for the delay in sending back the small pillow. We had misplaced the name of the party that had left this item behind. Once we identified the family, we sent it back to them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Summit Station, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My now fiance and I had a very romantic stay at Cornerstone Bed and Breakfast. Not only was the family who owned the B&B warm and welcoming, but the entire mansion was beautiful. Everything was so clean and well kept. We stayed on a Sunday night, so we had a lovely continental breakfast of fruit with egg custard served in long stemmed wine goblets, homemade muffins that were out of this world, and a mix of cereals and breakfast bars, juice, tea, milk and coffee. Our room had it's own bathroom and shower, and was beautifully decorated. We also received two fee passes to visit the Eastern State Pennitentiary for a daytime tour, which is an interesting part of Philadelphia history. Close to major universities, the Franklin Institute and so much more, it was an experience that neither of us will soon forget... besides the fact that we became engaged that night. We will most definitelly recommend this B&B to everyone we know, and will be back hopefully more than once.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Leamington Spa
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We chose Cornerstone because we have stayed in B&B's in the US before and found them to be very good standard and very welcoming. We were not disappointed at the Cornerstone B&B - Dennis and Liz were wonderful hosts and did everything possible to make our stay as comfortable and easy as possible, even driving us to the station for an early start one morning. We have had difficulties finding B&B's in the US that have twin bedded rooms and the Cornerstone had a lovely twin bedded room with all the facilities that you could wish for. We would recommend this property to anyone considering staying in Philadelphia and it is close to the station and other ameneties.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed in Philadelphian at Cornerstone with my husband last November. We were lucky, since if the city were not full-booked because of two conferences at that time, we would stay somewhere downtown and missed the opportunity to stay here.
The building was like a fairy tale house. The interior and exterior was very tastefully decorated. The room and the common areas were very clean and tidy. Chris was a wonderful host. The continental breakfast was wonderful with fresh fruit salad and homemade muffins.
Our room was very comfortable and quiet altough it was on the first floor just opposite the main entrance and everything we needed was available.
Very close to the Philadelphia train station, Drexel University and UPenn. Easy access to downtown by subway. Nice neighborhood. Not cheap but worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I picked Cornerstone because it was the closest and cheapest option for my USMLE Step 2 CS exam. However, I didn't notice how much I lucked out when I managed to get a reservation because I was in for quite a treat! The propery is very well maintained and the rooms exactly like the pictures posted on the website. Also, since so many students for CS pass through they are pretty knowledgeable about the exam. I was provided a very clear map with directions on how to get to the exam center which is lierally a 10 minute walk down the street. The "Continental Breakfast" was the best continental breakfast I've ever seen (homemade scones, homemade muffins, fresh strawberries, blueberries and kiwis!) and I'm interested in what their "Full Breakfast" on the weekend is like. I stayed in Franklin which has a separate private bathroom down the hall. It wasn't too inconvenient to walk there to use the bathroom. If I had to reach for a complaint - it would be that there isn't very much lighting in the room. I like my room bright for studying and I had to move one of the lamps closer for me to sit at the desk and read. But seriously, this is very minor and overall my experience was great. I will try to stay there again if I interview in Philly - even if it's not the cheapest or closest because Cornerstone was that great!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo