“Good location, quiet hotel, shabby”

Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 August 2017

On the plus side the hotel is very quiet and somewhat "off the beaten path" yet just around the corner from one of the nicest areas in Philadelphia. I do business in Philadelphia and appreciated that fact that this hotel is not overrun with loud tourists. While there is no valet, there are three garages within walking distance and parking is less expensive ($23 per 24 hours) than at the other hotels in town. And, no wait for the valet to get your car! Now for a few negatives. The rooms and the hotel itself need updating and renovating. The rooms are dark. Inadequate lighting. The furniture is worn. The walls are chipped. The area rug on the second floor has a huge stain that I found very unpleasant to look at each day. The carpeting in the hallways and on the stairs needs a good cleaning. Breakfast is served in a basement "café." The offerings were just adequate. The baked goods were stale and tasteless. I will consider staying at this hotel again mostly for the location and the quiet atmosphere. It has the potential to become a really great boutique hotel but it isn't one right now.

Room Tip: I suspect that all of the rooms are quiet in this hotel. Hotel photos of rooms are misleading.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank RosebudNyc
1715, Manager at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear RosebudNyc,

Thank you for providing such a thorough review of our hotel. We greatly appreciate both the positive and the negative feedback that you have shared with us. The hotel is currently in the process of creating a renovation plan that includes updating and replacing the lighting, furniture, and carpets in all of our guest rooms and common areas. In the meantime, we have already scheduled a carpet cleaning.

We are so sorry to hear that you found the breakfast to be stale and tasteless. We source our breakfast items from local bakeries and retailers that deliver to us daily. I have spoken to my cafe staff to ensure that we are maintaining the highest quality of breakfast for our guests.

The next time that you are planning to stay in Philadelphia, please reach out to me personally.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Only stayed one night when in town for a birthday celebration. Choose the Boutique Hotel for its central location, good reviews and fair price. We had a very pleasing visit and the staff was extremely friendly.

Would definitely stay there again. Our room was spacious, cosy, clean and quiet.

Breakfast had a nice selection of homemade cakes and breakfast was available from 7am all the way to 11am (we visited on a Sunday)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1715, Manager at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Dear Soren L, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and the hotel. Celebrations are fun, and we are grateful that you were able to stay here and enjoy our breakfast.

We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

From the moment our taxi arrived at '1715' I knew this haven would be perfect. Really cannot fault this place. Check in staff, most courteous and welcoming along with breakfast staff, so lovely. Bedroom was totally perfect, from quirky furniture to outstanding bed linen, towels and toiletries. This hotel oozes 5stars. Although it is a small boutique hotel this is a bonus with wine and cheese served free of charge at 5:30pm. Perfection at it's best.

Stayed: July 2017
1715, Manager at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear McIlwaine, Thank you for your fabulous review and stating we ooze 5stars! We appreciate your taking the time to point out all the special details about our hotel. Our complimentary wine and cheese served in our drawing room is a perfect way to converse with others, or to just sit in the garden and enjoy.

We hope you are able to visit with us again!

Hotle Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2017

I REALLY liked this hotel. I stayed with a friend on a trip to Philadelphia to visit my daughter. I love the Rittenhouse Square location. Our room was really a very nice size, the bathroom is large, although not brand new, well kept and very clean. The rugs are a bit old or maybe I didn't like the green, but what a really charming place. The breakfast cafe in the basement was so unexpectedly adorable that I was disappointed that we had plans for breakfast both days. I snuck down there for a cup of coffee and a piece of toast and I believe it was Lydia introduced herself to me and chatted for a couple of minutes. It was just so enjoyable and as always in Philadelphia - friendly. It was a continental breakfast, but there was also oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs. Very nice.

For a boutique hotel in Philadelphia, I would give it 5*s. The one thing I didn't like in our room location was a bit of early morning noise becuase of the cafe setting up. My room was on the first floor. It may have been because the door separating the two rooms from the foyer had been left open; not sure, but if that was the case, I think it would have been quieter.

We visited with my daughter in the lobby in the evening and it is very comfortable. The employees are all very helpful and polite. I will definitely stay here again. They are doing everythng right.

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank cathycnh

Dear cathycnh, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your honesty and kind words about our staff and the hotel. We are awaiting renovations which will replace our bathtubs and carpets. With that said, we are sorry to hear that the lobby noise disturbed your stay. We will work on doing a better job by keeping the door closed between the guestrooms and the lobby. We are grateful to read that you were able to visit the cafe and give it 5*s.

Please let me know when you are ready to come back so that I can help you with a room choice.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

For our first trip to Philadelphia, we booked this hotel over the internet, relying on Trip advisor recommendations. It was a lucky find.
We had well equipped rooms, although quite small as expected in a city boutique hotel. They have a charming practice of offering free wine & cheese in a lovely living room for an hour in the early evening. This was a good opportunity to meet and chat with other guests from near & far, who were all very friendly.
Breakfast is served as a self service buffet. There is plenty to choose from. And you can access the free tea & coffee 24/7.
Staff were friendly and professional, offering excellent service at all times.
We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank BrendaMaidenhead
1715, Manager at Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear BrendaMaidenhead, Thank you for taking the time to write a five star review. We appreciate your kind words about our service and the hotel. Our Drawing room is a great place to meet and chat with others during our wine reception, and we are glad to know that this was your experience.

We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.