“Don't believe the HYPE”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 5,098 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed 24 March 2018

My wife and I had dinner with another couple on a Friday night. Wait wasn't bad for center city restaurant and our server Amber was great. We tried several of the small dishes and a few main entrees. For the most part the small dishes were tasty and had a good presentation. The crab tacos were very good. The vegetable dumplings had a nice presentation but fell apart when you tried to pick them up and the flavor was just ok. That was theme of most of the food - it presented well but fell way short on flavor. In addition, we had the wok charred lobster and it was nothing but shells. No meat at all. Very poor for. $22 dish. Drinks were the same. Poor selection of wines and others were expensive and weak. We were looking forward to Sampan but they really fell way short of the expectations and on line HYPE.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Found this gem during a snow storm..and returned the next night for a fantastic meal.
Very busy vibrant resturant that didn't disappoint.
Food was outstanding.dumplings and spring rolls delish. I would recommend the small plates ..get 3 and sample some fantastic pan asian street food.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

I can describe this restaurant in one just word. It is amazing, superb, delicious, mind blowing. For starters, make a reservation, we found this walking around and the wait was really long ( but worth it). Second, a place to just sit and enjoy the food. I totally recommend to go for the chef picks. You have up to seven items to choose from, but believe me, everything is just as good. We ordered (group of 4), crab Rangoon, Korean BBQ beef, kimchi fried rice, hamachi ceviche, filet mignon, Wok-Charred Lobster and for dessert crispy rice sushi and orange-chococolate ice cream. I think it was $45 per person w/o alcohol, but really delicious and great portions for everybody. Drinks are good too. The staff was really courteous. In general our whole experience was fantastic. If passing by Philadelphia or planning a trip, forget about the Philly cheesesteak for a minute and give this restaurant a try.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This was one of the best Pan Asian restaurants I have ever eaten at! I had the green papaya salad as a starter, which is large enough for two people. What was really amazing was my Glazed Chilean Sea Bass in a coconut curry wild mushroom sauce. My daughter loved her Pad Thai entree. I give this restaurant 5 stars.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I made reservations originally for Sat. 3/3 through Open Table. I cancelled due to illness via Open Table's website. Samoan reported me to Open Table for failure to cancel. I resolved this confusion today w/ Open Table.
I rescheduled last night for tonight @ 7:15pm. My date & I arrived promptly @ 7:15pm. The hostess informed me that the current occupiers of our table were dilly-rallying. @ 7:30pm I asked the Hostess for a status update & she made more excuses. I won't be back due to her unprofessionalism. For those of you considering Sampan, be careful!