“Awesome Pan Asian Food!”
Review of Sampan

Sampan
Reserve with OpenTable
Sampan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed 5 March 2018

This was one of the best Pan Asian restaurants I have ever eaten at! I had the green papaya salad as a starter, which is large enough for two people. What was really amazing was my Glazed Chilean Sea Bass in a coconut curry wild mushroom sauce. My daughter loved her Pad Thai entree. I give this restaurant 5 stars.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I made reservations originally for Sat. 3/3 through Open Table. I cancelled due to illness via Open Table's website. Samoan reported me to Open Table for failure to cancel. I resolved this confusion today w/ Open Table.
I rescheduled last night for tonight @ 7:15pm. My date & I arrived promptly @ 7:15pm. The hostess informed me that the current occupiers of our table were dilly-rallying. @ 7:30pm I asked the Hostess for a status update & she made more excuses. I won't be back due to her unprofessionalism. For those of you considering Sampan, be careful!

Reviewed 21 February 2018

One of my favorite restaurants in the city. The food is delicious, especially their kimchee fried rice... YUM! The service is always great, as is the ambiance.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

We know Sampan is going for cool, moody lighting but unless you’re sitting at specific tables, it’s simply too dark in there. Like, can’t see your food dark. The food itself was all good. The standout was the swordfish satay. The crispy rock shrimp was highly anticipated but average. The tasting menu was a good option for our group of five but way too rushed. The kitchen sends things out as they are ready which makes it feel like they arrive out of order and eating felt like a sprint as the table filled up with plates. It all felt uncomfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the mini cones for dessert - they change the flavors daily so we had vanilla malt and chocolate orange. We also very much enjoyed the Ming Mule cocktails. Our server Patrick was also awesome. Very friendly and knowledgeable about the food. He was also patient with our repeated questions about the tasting menu. He actually earned one of these 4 stars himself.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

It was cold and dark and we didn't want to go far. Sampan popped on a Google search. Thinking we'd slide into a plastic booth for ordinary food, we were blown away (and luckily not by the wind!). The place was hopping on a Monday night with loads of young people clearly enjoying the company and food. We were seated immediately at the bar to watch the action in the open kitchen, promptly tended to and never forgotten during the evening. There were so many items on the menu we chose the chef's choice where every item was better than the last; dumplings, spring rolls, chicken, shrimp, duck AND lobster. Served like tapas and when ready, the meal was extraordinary. Add the excellent wine and a light touch of ice cream to finish, Sampan was a real find for strangers to the city and a gem. Thank you Sampan!