“A must visit in Philly ”

Philadelphia's Magic Gardens
Ranked #39 of 488 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Philadelphia's Magic Gardens (PMG)is a mosaicked visionary art environment, gallery, and community arts center that preserves, interprets and provides access to Isaiah Zagar's unique mosaic art environment and his public murals. The Magic Gardens site, Zagar's largest artwork, includes a fully tiled indoor space and large outdoor mosaic sculpture garden that spans half a block on Philadelphia's famous South Street. Inside, view PMG's ever changing exhibitions in two indoor galleries.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Philly is full of art. Every turn you’ll find murals, or statues. I love the street art the city offers. This garden is part of the beauty. Nothing like I’ve seen before either. The wall is made of entirely mortar and glass. There’s a story in the wall and it’s colorful, and interactive with the mirrors. Great for interesting selfies.

I wouldnt pay though to go in. Just admire from outside. There’s enough going on outside.

All reviews
"labyrinth"
"objects"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Sure, you must appreciate how much work the guy invested in doing mosaics in a house with tiles, bottles, and a lot of other stuff. Having said that, the arrangements were sometimes reminiscent of art, but not what would really cal "art".

Add to that the fact that they ask 10 USD per person and the whole experience is max 20 mins...well...no, no need to come back.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I stumbled across this artistic paradise eight years ago at night. I was overwhelmed by the intricate beauty of Isaiah Zagar’s work. AND he just happened to be there!!!
I’d always wished I could go back, and it took me eight years. I now went with my teenagers during the day, and they were just as impressed as I was that first time. Please go, you’ll never regret it.
Ps: look around for his other murals, he is a GENIOUS!!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

This place came highly recommended, so on an early day off from a work assignment, I decided to pop in. I'm not an art person so perhaps this was just not my cup of tea. I came on a Thursday around noon and there was no wait. I easily toured the entire exhibit in 10-15 minutes. For others, this is probably photo-heaven slash Instagram heaven and I'm sure you can easily spend about an hour, two max, taking your time.

It's a small mosaic space, so expect them to filter the amount of people coming and going.

*$10/adult
*Not recommended for little ones
*Restrooms available
*Street parking
*If you're coming during the weekend, booking ahead is recommended

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2018

My husband and drove from DC to specifically to see the magic gardens. We both dabble in mosaics and fell in love with this place. Isaiah Zagar is the mosaic artist and he lives around the corner and has about 9 mosaic rentals close by. You will be transformed once you happen upon this special place. Oh and by the way a great place for a wonderful overview photo is the parking garage across the street. I would recommend purchasing tickets in advance and booking a tour. I believe they have two tours, one of the actual gardens and the other is touring the street. The tours are seasonal so I think they are switching to the street tour now that it is warming up. This is a selfie/photographer's paradise. Zagar recognizes many other artists, in style and name throughout. We had a fantastic guide Zoe, but everyone there seems passionate about the place that was almost knocked down. If time allows pick up a map and wonder the streets to find more street side mosaics. Depending on whether you have a tour (1 hour) and how into this you are, leave at least 1 hour to tour the site and the gallery that showcases revolving art and 1 hour for a tour.

1  Thank esopus35