“Seafood Delights”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Description: Formerly known as the Sansom Street Oyster House. Re-opened recently as The Oyster House. Would like to write a review.
Reviewed 19 September 2017

No kidding this place is great. Went during restaurant week. A+ from start to finish. It was crowded but we were not rushed. Asked for a quiet table NO Problem. Oyster appetizer was delightful. I had flounder excellent my wife had the crab cake also excellent.
Dessert was also very good. Poppy our server was extraordinary.
Can't say enough nice things about this place. Go if you like seafood.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Awesome selection of seafood and great atmosphere. Service was fast, and we got a table right away. Sampled oysters from all over the country. Cool to compare. Beer selection could be better but certainly good. Grilled octopus was fantastic

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch on a Friday. It was busy but we could get a table almost immediately. We did call ahead to say we have a large group coming.

Took the recommended oyster sampler of a dozen to share as some in the group were not so keen on raw oysters. However they were soon converted as these were some of the best tasting oysters we have ever tasted. Quickly another dozen was added. It could have been more if we didn't order the Scallop cerviche, fried calamari and crab cakes to share as well. The latter were great as well. Fresh as any seafood can be and well prepared and seasoned. A warning here about the crab cakes as they were on the spicy side (didn't bother us though).

Had the lobster roll and it was good. Soft, fluffy bread toasted slightly on the outside and slathered with butter on the inside. Overflowing with fresh, juicy and sweet lobster meat.

Finished the meal by sharing a key lime pie and the bread pudding. Both competent renditions but the seafood was the main star here.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

On our last night in Philly and I wanted something “simple” but fun and Oyster House looked like a good option – a couple of the small plate and entrée options had caught my eye.

Taking a seat at the bar, we each started with a cocktail: mine a Pimms Cup and hers a Hemingway. With so many folks putting “their take” on classic cocktails, it’s nice to see them made as they were originally meant.

Appetizer’s came in the form of a bowl Turtle Soup ($6.50; very spiced – nutmeg I think) – very nice. They also came in 1 each of 4 oysters offering ($3 ea; see receipt image). We shared the soup, but not the (her!) oysters. Finally, the Grilled Octopus ($14) – this was probably my favorite, cooked just right and went well with the grilled corn and zucchini salad it came with.

Dinner for me was a bowl of the Fish Stew ($24) – good spice and a perfect portion – while she had the Peach & Arugula Salad ($11). We each shared some of these as well, although I held off of the salad but tried the burratta!

With Dinner we switched two wines: the Grüner Veltliner ($10/glass) and the rosado Vinho Verde ($9/glass)

Service was great from the couple of different folks that waited on us (our bartenders and servers).

Total bill was $168, not exactly cheap (or simple) but this is one of the spots I know I would come back to on a regular basis if I was in Philly regularly.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I bought my to go orders. We got lobster rolls. I was not disappointed. It was an amazing roll! The bread was warm and buttery. The lobster was fresh and succulent. It was so good I probably could have eaten 2 was not because the roll is overstuffed with lobster, which is great thing!

I didn't care much for the fries. They were hard, somewhat burnt and tasted kind of stale. Other than that, the lobster roll was absolutely amazing!