“I expected more from a Ritz Carlton” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #27 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York, USA
“I expected more from a Ritz Carlton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Building and location are spectacular. Right next to City Hall, public transportation and most sites are within easy walking distance. Front desk was what I'd expect from a Ritz Carlton property, cordial, welcoming, lots of smiles, and professional. I was put on a high floor in a corner room with very nice views. But the room was rather small, which was echoed in several other reviews about the rooms. The bathroom was nice with a separate deep tub and shower.

Upon arriving in my room I received a call from the front desk clerk who asked if I liked the room and was there anything I needed. I asked for a pair of slippers. They never came. When I think of the Ritz Carlton brand, I think of top notch service. I think of staff going above and beyond and I never got that during my stay at this property. The bed shams were stained roughly arranged. The corners of the beds were sloppily made and even the chocolates (milk, tasted a bit stale) placed on the night table were not neatly arranged but appeared to be strewn.

When I called for room service or someone to help me with the bath tap, the people who answered were nice enough, but they always said "bye" a little too quickly and hung up rather loudly. No one was outwardly rude but these are the small details that I would have expected a Ritz Carlton property to handle with more finesse.

The room came with a bathrobe for each person. On one morning, I was in a rush to leave and I threw the bathrobe on the bathroom floor, with one sleeve turned inside out. When I returned later that night, I noticed the bathrobe was hung up on a hook still with the sleeve inside out. Other luxury hotels will hang the robes up for you but arrange it in a tidy way. It's as if the maid just picked it up and threw it on the hook. Furthermore, there was this weird dried up soap foam that had dribbled down the front of the sink. It was gross and I noticed it right away. I touched it to see if it was a permanent mark, and it wasn't. The next day after the room had been serviced, it still wasn't wiped off.

At the restaurant, we arrived at 7:30 for dinner. The room wasn't empty but it wasn't packed either. The waitress was friendly and smiled a lot. We reviewed the drinks menu and no bread arrived. Our drink order was taken and during the time we were deciding on our meal, still no bread. After the waitress took our dinner order, she mentioned she'll send someone with bread. When the food runner arrived with our first course, I asked him if we get any bread. He simply said, "No bread?" and walked away. The waitress later rushed over with bread and butter and commented that she didn't expect the first course to come out so quickly. That's not the point. Service standard should dictate that the bread should be served at some point between seating and ordering. And wasn't it obvious our table had no bread? Again, I expect a lot more from the Ritz Carlton. I expect staff to quietly and keenly observe guest needs and carry out high service standards. This incident, while not egregious or horrible, could have happened at any busy restaurant. But the Ritz Carlton should be better than that.

On ordering room service, the server wheeled in the trolley and uncovered all the plates, pointing out what was what. That was OK, but in all my room service experience, the server always props up the side leaves of the table. She didn't do this and just walked out after I signed the check. Again, little things matter. And when I stay at a Ritz Carlton, I expect these little things.

On my final day, I dropped off 3 bags after checkout to pick up hours later. When I gave the bellman my ticket, he could only find 1. After some searching he found the second. When I gave him the description of the last bag a third time, he asked me to come into the room and look for it myself. I found it in a corner, upside down (the bag was a tote, with no closure).

Had this been a mid level Marriot or Hilton, I would give this hotel 4 stars. But I expected more from a Ritz Carlton. My suggestion to the GM is that all staff receive more specific training on what gold/platinum/diamond service standards are and what they always need to perform to execute.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator because you can hear people laughing as they wait in the hallway. A corner r...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dgfvsxz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The lobby is the former Girard Bank building and is an impressive piece of architecture with wide open dome. The lobby holds the bar and Eric Ripert's bistro. During the evening, loud music is played and destroys the experience. Annoying acoustics, sports projected on the marbled wall and nightclub atmosphere made me almost run though this area do not to be subjected to this aural & visual assault. Because of this, we did not dine here.
The rooms are small but bed is fantastic. The plumbing is horrible as the pipes rattle and shake when the proper mixture if hot & cold is adjusted in the shower. This noise was not Jist a phenomena in my room as I could always tell when other guest were showering as the turned the knobs between too hot or too cold to stop the pipe rattle. Should have stated at the Marriott.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheMulv
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I've probably stayed at this hotel more than any other even though I live relatively locally near Philadelphia. So you may be asking, why? Well I've used the facilities to hold Board Meetings, I use the suites (including the Presidential) for weekend 'escapes' from our many wonderful but demanding kids and my wife and I used the hotel to get married in 2008!!

What I love about this hotel is its classy elegance and second to none service. From the check in (usually with a complimentary glass of champagne) to the outstanding bar - good to meet friends in or just people watch, to the restaurant and the great views of Broad Street and City Hall from the accommodations. I also like the location which is a quick walk to great restaurants - The Capital Grille is basically opposite.

What more could you ask for?? I (we - that's my wife too) fully recommend it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor with a City Hall view. You may go to sleep with Ben Franklin looking...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

This hotel has high price rates and excellent service but is hardly a good value. The rooms are nice but not spectacular. Serive is great from the moment you approach the front door you are reeeted tim and time again. A welcome drink is offered at check in. NO extra fee for in room bottled water.

Food quality is average at best. The eggs at the brunch were tasteless and seemed like they were powdered. Breads were decent but nothing special. Service was adequate. Perhaps one had greater expectations from such a hotel but this one provided medicore food.

A note to management about meal service was never acknowledged.

In shrt stay here for great hotle service but eat somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We recently stayed for 3 nights for our daughter's graduation. The overall service was amazing - from the personalized check in, to the excellent bell boy service from Jimmy - who was cheerful and helpful always and most surprisingly a hotel painter/ handyman who we met in the lift - who asked us how our stay was going. When we said that it was going well - he actually said " what can we do to make it better !" It really was the best start to our day....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family