“Not Fogos, but damn good!”

Picanha Brazilian Grill
Ranked #575 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 20 - USD 25
Cuisines: Brazilian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2018

I actually pretty blown away with Picanha. I'm not totally sure what I was expecting before going in, as I (whether fairly or not) judge EVERY Brazilian steakhouse to the holy grail of Brazilian steakhouses, Fogo De Chao. So, before entering, I couldn't entirely wrap my head around how they were going to provide me with all I can eat meat at this small, corner eatery. We entered into this small, but clean and inviting dining room, where I quickly learned that your plate is weighed. (ahhhhh...makes sense! $8.99/lb weekdays, $9.99/lb weekends) You line up to go to the "meat window," where the meat is sliced from the skewer directly onto your plate. How they get you is, they make you walk past the salad bar/buffet on your way, to try and get you to use up your precious ounces. (Pro tip, stick to the meat. Pick ONE side, plus some fried plantains, and put your steak blinders on. Although everything I had from the salad bar was tasty, this is a Brazilian STEAK house, so get your moneys worth). The meat was EXCELLENT! Although it didn't quite reach Fogo levels, I would totally put in on par with say, Na brasa. I would DEFINITELY come here before I went to Rodizio Grill, for example. (if you can't tell, I've been to every friggin Brazilian steak establishment east of the Mississippi.) Lunch prices are reasonible, so if you're smart with your real estate, you can get a belly full of meat for an excellent price. I fell victim to the salad bar trap while waiting in our long line for the meats, but I will be better prepared for my next trip. Fool me twice....

The knocks on Picanha are, 1) the weighing/payment system. You get your plate and put it on the scale, and you are then given a card with a number. You have to hold on to that number and turn it in at the end to find out how much you owe. I had no idea how much my meal was while eating it, and they ask you for drinks AFTER you get your number, and when everyone ordered a drink, they didn't ask for anyones number to know whom to charge what to. It was all very clandestine. 2) This knock may be just personal, and also strangely hypocritical, seeing as how I'm here to eat copious amounts of meat, but the decor is a little jarring. Over the salad bar, mounted on the wall, are 4 HUMONGOUS bull/cow/whatever other animals they serve there, heads, just silently admonishing you for feasting on their flesh. I'm one of those people that doesn't really like to see my food in its pre-my-food conditions, and seeing the heads actually made me feel bad about eating there. I know, I know.....get over it, its a steak house, but I know they don't hug the animals to death before serving them, so its a bit off putting.

Still, I'll definitely be back, and will avert my eyes. Totally recommend it if you want some good Brazilian but don't have the time or the scratch to make it to Center City to bang with Fogos.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

This place provides the best selection of meats for a fraction of the price of other Brazilian style grills. The staff is very professional and provides superior service. I can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed 3 July 2017

Had a group of 5 of us, and because I like the Brazilian Rodizio cooking, I wanted to try this place since it had some very good reviews. The issue we had is that we had 2 members of our group who were not interested in the Rodizio at all (one is a vegetarian, the other just not a big meat eater), so we wanted to accommodate them by just getting the buffet for them. Explained to our server that we wanted to get the buffet & rodizio for 3 of us, but only the buffet (no rodizio) for 2 of our group. Our server told us that the buffet & rodizio are all combined, and it was $29.99/person. We kept trying to explain that 2 members of our group would not have any of the Rodizio, but our server could not offer anything other than the full buffet & rodizio at $29.99/person. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out a solution (other than paying $29.99/person for everyone, even those who would not have the rodizio), we ended up walking out and going to another Brazilian restaruant nearby (Taste of Brazil), where we could get the just the buffet, or the buffet w/ the rodizio. And it turns out that we paid $20/person at the Taste of Brazil for those who wanted the rodizio. After this experience at Picanha, I'm not a fan, and I would not recommend this place.

2  Thank John S
Reviewed 19 June 2017

We used the Groupon for two dinners. This included two meals, two desserts, and two drinks (non refillable). Drinks are canned. The price was around $60 for two. The seating is open and upon entering you can view everyone in the location. The staff was very attentive almost to a fault. Five minutes could not go by without someone asking was everything ok or someone bringing food to the table. The food was flavorful and no complaints. My rating is based upon the fact that I have eaten at quite a few Brazilian grills and used those experiences to compare. The location of the restaurant is not the best and the decorum needs lots of work but the food and service is worth a return trip.

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

The closest thing you'll taste of authentic Brasilian Food! This is the best Brasilian steakhouse I have been to this far aside from Majorica in Rio de Janiero! My family have been coming here for years and for me it'll be 10 years now. Food is always consistent and never had a bad meal! I'm glad that they are expanding And renovating! If you want quality for reasonable pricing this is the place to be! Staff is very attentive and very welcoming! Love supporting the small businesses. If you bring cacaha they will make caprinihas for you! Bring limes in case they run out! You can choose pay per lb or have them serve you as they have done in the chain restaurants.