“Greek Done Right”
Review of Kanella Grill

Kanella Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Kanella Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 5,104 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: 10th Street
Description: Kanella is a Greek restaurant located in the Washington Square neighborhood of Philadelphia.
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Not a place you would pass and go, "Oh, I wnat to eat there. But definitely a place you would want to go to. The waiter was a very nice man with a great English accent. He was very pleasant and willing to make suggestions. Three of us each had something different and all the meals were great. We shared Dolmades and they were really good. Finished off the meal with one of their desserts and they were great. I normally do not like hummus but the platter came with it so I figured I could just leave it, WRONG it was fantastic.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Found this place walking by while apartment hunting. It was a nice affordable lunch considering being in a city, the hummus was really good with fresh out of the grill pita. The pita sandwich, gyro, was tasty and a big portion. You could taste fresh ingredients. Definitely will go back.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

Great food in the city- best gyro ( beef and pork) I have ever had! The pita is hot and fresh - don’t pass on the dips of the day, they are delicious! We also had the lamb kofta platter - very good. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. It’s BYO, so bring your own Retsina!!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 30 June 2018

Kanella's Grill is generally excellent. Warm, friendly, and fantastic food. But the tzatziki!!! Made with a creamy Bulgarian yogurt and just the right amount of mint - it is in a class by itself (we ordered a second after we demolished the first) and we have eaten a lot of tzatziki at a lot of Greek restaurants. This is not, of course, to downplay the other small plates - the hummus is very good (a bit stronger on the chickpeas than the tahini but very tasty); and the ktipiti was outstanding. On our recent visit, Kanella was offering a 3-dip tasting dish consisting of ktipiti, a white bean dip, and a wonderful green concoction made from pistachios, feta, and cilantro - if you are lucky enough to be there on a night when that is on offer, by all means order it. Because we prefer to like to eat lots of small plates we didn't try the kebabs or the special entrées but judging from the expressions of the other diners they are likely to be very good as well. Be sure to get a reservation, especially on a weekend night,.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I came here as it was close to my hotel and the menu looked good! It was pretty busy for a Sunday night! The place isn’t very big but can accommodate large groups. It doesn’t look like they serve alcohol but seems like you can BYO. The menu looks to be very simple. I love kabobs and there was a pretty good selection. They had a flat iron steak special that came with pita, hummus rice and a tomato salad. There are just no words! The steak was tender and flavorful! The rice had a delicious array of spices! The tomato salad seemed like they picked them out of the garden in the back or something! The hummus was unbelievable, homemade and fresh! I wish I had more pita to sop it up! I did find room for dessert. They had my favorite, baklava which was so good! Don’t miss this gem of a place if you are in center city! In a cute neighborhood and reasonably priced! Pictured is the baklava

Date of visit: June 2018