“Perfectly located, great rooms and excellent facilities”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Westin Monache is all that you're looking for in a great hotel. It's perfect position overlooks the mountains and is on the doorstep of the village and gondola...it cannot be beaten for position in Mammoth.

Rooms are spacious with VERY comfy beds. The fireplace is very nice and the sun lounge is perfect place to relax with a book and chill out when the sun shines through your window.

Any criticisms? I don't know if it's a US thing, but watch out for the outrageous 15% 'minibar restock' surcharge (on top of tax and already inflated minibar price)...WTF?!?!? The hotel's bar/restaurant is a great spot to have their very good breakfast..but for me; the hotel lacks a decent arpres ski lounge...you know the one; cozy fireplace, stuffed chairs etc...Westin doesn't have it..so you're only options for a place to chill after the slopes is in the village.

The gym is light on for equipment but ok..I didn't use the heated pool but it looked great and saw many people enjoying the spa/pool area. Staff are friendly and the concierge was fantastic with his (thanks Buck) advice on restaurants and itinerary for a great side-trip to Yosemite. A real convenience is the shuttle bus...fantastic service.

The stay closed my honeymoon (in Cabo, LA and Mammoth) and was highlight. A great place. Get up here!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view...lovely outlook from an excellent sun-bed...a real treat
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StevenBSydney
There are newer reviews for Westin Monache Resort Mammoth

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We were very happy in Westin due to it's superb location and easy access to the village. The heavenly bed was too soft for us, but that is a matter of taste. The water in jacuzzi was a bit cold, but hopefully they fixed it already. Restaurant and food there is nice and a safe choice. Watch out for the noisy fridges, in case you have one in the room, as the housekeeping to switch if of the night and on again in the morning :)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin Z
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I travel for business every week, but I was able to go to this hotel for vacation in Aug 2011.

I highly suggest that when you book, you thoroughly look at how and when you are charged. I booked a pre-paid room through Westin's website and was surprised to see a bill presented to me at the end of my stay. To make a long story short, this property does NOT bill according to the practices stated on the website when you book- this Westin just makes up how they'll take the funds and they won't tell you that it's different than what you expected. This caused a damper on my vacation because when I should have been relaxing, I was looking at my billing statements- very inconvenient!!!!

The hotel is located in a great location and offers amenities that you'd like. You can walk to multiple places to eat and to the shuttle to the adventure center.

The guest room was spacious and clean. The staff was not very helpful when it appeared that I was double charged and had to go through this huge inconvenience emailing them several times and I didn't receive any apologies or credits due to the error. All I heard was "it's our policy"- but to me, it's bad policy to no agree to the terms that the customer booked on the corporate website!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ring0rosie
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My wife and I spent a night here using SPG points booked last minute for a stay during New Years holiday.

We arrived very early new years day to check in. We knew it was far earlier than check in time, but tried. We were given mixed answers and a very cold shoulder by some at the front desk. It was clear many folks had already checked outand so clean rooms should have come up. We just wanted an answer - do we wait and get our room or should we start out on our day and enjoy it and come back in the afternoon. Nobody gave a real clear answer. It kept being 15-30 minutes. In the end, we went out and enjoyed our day, which was fine. Just wanted an ansewr yes or no, but sorta got neither.

We were told to leave our cell phone andwhen teh room comes open they would call us. Well, that never happened.

We returned 4-5 hours later and got into our room right away. The room was great setup for cooking a light meal, having food for snacks, meals, etc... and great comfy bed, sofas, TV, etc... a great studio deluxe room . The view - not so much. Bunch of gravel, PVC pipes, and ladders outside as if a construction site. No matter.

We enjoyed the fitness center while there, plus had a drink at the Whitebark bar. All good.

Got our bill in the morning with errors on it. Called to correct it and got a VM while we were out it was all taken care of. Went to check out and confirm it and apparently it wasn't. We had to wait 15 minutes until they figured it out.

All in all, the resort has great amenities and is great place to stay. But my sense of staff was a bit cold and worn at times, plus easily frazzled and overwhelmed, particularly by the holiday stays of so many families, etc. They quite simply, appeared undermanned and a bit too easily taxed given it is their peak period. This is a time they should be at their best and not most easiyl frazzled or slow in respondign to requests.

One other thing - whoever designed the garbage dump and delivery bay in the same space as the valet arrival was not thinking. My first, immediate impression upon my arrival was of nothign other than an overflowing dumpster and a trash truck picking it up. It made teh whole arrival less than aesthetically pleasing, but also made the valet noisier, crowded, and more stressful than it should have been too.

That said, I would go back to Mammoth and stay here again. The amenities, etc are too enjoyable overall for me to care enough about the rest. Still, I would hope for some improvement - particularly on staffing both in number and attitude.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sambieni
Reviewed 31 December 2011

“Good hotel w/ some exceptions.....get rid of the dogs!” Service was good and friendly. Front desk was responsive. Concierge had great tip for free sledding. Room services did a great job. Rental was quick and courteous. My 6 and 3 year old kids loved the Kids Club. But shuttle service did not pickup my wife and 3 little kids as promised. They were freezing and too tired to walk up the double diamond steep stairs in front of the gondola. And after a day of boarding, even I was too winded to climb those stairs. (Bad design. And I'm an engineer.) As for my real complaint, you dog owners are truly dirty people. Dogs are animals...not people. I saw dogs peeing all over the place, barking at me and my kids, and trailing dog hair all over the hallways (and we trailed it into our rooms). Gross! Plus I don't know you and your pets, so I have to assume the possibility of bringing home ticks. All our gear was left in my garage for a week while clothes were washed the same night we got home. I found out too late that this hotel was pet friendly. And the hotel policy strictly said "NO REFUNDS". My bad for booking too soon at the recommendation of a close friend. Also my wife is allergic to dogs, so I definitely would have booked elsewhere if I knew sooner.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family