“A day out for sushi”
Review of Fusian

Fusian
Ranked #52 of 809 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: Sushi
Description: FUSIAN is an independently owned fast-casual sushi restaurant serving fresh, local, and natural ingredients. FUSIAN seeks to make sushi accessible to everyone, starting with rice and letting guests make determinations with options ranging from raw, wild-caught tuna, to cold smoked salmon. With respect for tradition and commitment to accessibility, FUSIAN encourages guests to rethink sushi by offering unique ingredients like tofu, brown rice, and roasted chicken. FUSIAN aims to break down sushi stereotypes while keeping traditional Japanese traditions of quality, freshness, and hospitality at the forefront of the experience.
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

My family and I came here for lunch and the service and the staff was excellent and the food was delicious. The manager on duty Josh was awesome he spoke with us and took pictures with us and I like that he was very attentive in the care and the appearance of the and repairing and cleaning equipment when my family comes back to Ohio we will stop in again to visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

I took a roadtrip back to visit my alma mater with some friends at the University of Dayton. Our favorite place to eat and hang out was Fusian on Brown Street. It was cheap, quick, and good for the soul back then in 2011-2013. They apparently have new directors or managers that have added their own style to the restaurant. Although it is still good sushi, it is not as good as it used to be and now you have to pay literally double the price. The new menus above are not as easy to follow. Before, it helped you step by step on what to do. You also cannot read them until you get underneath the light that hangs directly in front of one of the menu boards. Now they have a few by name options of sushi and a create your own. (Plus a strange sushi bowl.. not sure how you would eat that). The drinks are disgusting now and taste like rotten spoiled lemonades mixed with different flavors. You’d be better with something from the fridge or just water. I hope the three young men that started this business see this message and go back to their beginnings, before it tried to be more like Chipotle by adding a Sushi bowl or before they had their focus on expansion.

My friends started working there during their time at UD and they were extremely happy and gave a chill relaxed vibe to the atmosphere, like Artstreet does. The employees I experienced today were not. One was rude and tried arguing with me about how the prices have always been the same, I gladly corrected him and shared how I was there when it opened. He took back what he said, but was definitely not happy about me reminiscing about the good old days. The other was quick to correct me when I asked for a California roll because they call it “Left Coast”. And the third was friendly. There was hardly anyone there at 5pm on a Sunday. If you never knew the greatness it used to be, you wouldn’t be upset as I am, so my apologies if you think it is the best. It used to be for me.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Trying to find sushi in the Dayton area that compares with some of the New York places I've been, I took my wife here, rated #2 sushi by Tripadvisor. It's quite good but I have some more searching to do.

Fusian is trying to grow into a chain, with three locations around Dayton so far. This one, near University of Dayton, probably fills up with hungry students around lunch hour during regular semesters. It's sushi and bowls as fast food--walk up to thecounter and place your order, watch as they assembly-line your rolls and bowls, pick up and pay at the other end of the counter where you get a drink cup to fill for yourself. So you will not enjoy the experience of sitting at a bar watching a highly skilled eastern chef wielding a sushi knife--even the process of cutting up the roll is done with a hand-cranked machine.

The menu is quite limited--five types of sushi roll, five types of bowl, with the option of creating something original from their list of ingredients--which itself is short. I opted for the Soho salmon roll, my wife for the west coast. You have the option of white or brown rice, and they're ready to do additions or substitutions on request.

Our food in hand, we made our way to a table, where I discovered that the wall-side seating is hard wood--fortunately I didn't sit too hard. The food is tasty, and they have a great concern for healthful ingredients. Note that their standard sushi rolls come with chopped green onions (did they call them scallioins?) sprinkled over top, and then drenched with spicy mayo or some other condiment--so chopsticks were my choice even tho' I normally eat sushi in the Japanese fashion, with fingers. The provide soy sauce but I did not notice wasabi (I don't add it anyway) or pickled ginger (which I like as a palate cleanser).

All told, I thought that $10 was a little high when I pay a similar price at other restaurants where the menu is more extensive and there's table service.

1  Thank TR26
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Need I say more?! Love this place. I have never been disappointed. Last time I went I got a salmon and tuna roll with as many veggies as sounded good at the time, which was nearly all of them. As the guy said jokingly when I asked about if there was an extra charge depending on what veggies you get or how many, "if you wanted the whole pan of carrots, we'd probably give it to you". Unlimited veggies. Great staff members. Great sushi. Great price...my rolls are always stuffed full and taste great. I love the wasabi mayo...just the right kick. Gosh I love this chain!

Reviewed 7 December 2017

I love this place but so do a lot of other people so it is often very busy. The quality of the fish is good but they have plenty of other protein to choose from. The veggies are always fresh and the service is excellent. I love the cucumber salad but is does have a bit of a kick to it.