“Decent value for price”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Santa Rosa, California
“Decent value for price”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Spent weekend for Channel Island daytrip. Hotel is right across, and connected by a pedestrian bridge with Holiday Inn. About a mile (with nice walk/bike/run path via harbor) from harbor village. Lobby staff friendly, checkin in speedy. Room on 3rd floor. 2 rooms from elevator - no problem because we left the heater on "heat low" all night. The room has the oldfashioned heater box and control next to the sliding glass door. Beds were very comfy. Had a refrigerator in the room - handy to have milk for our little one. Nice big screen tv. desk area. full length mirror. Bathroom with separate sink area so that one can use the shower/bath/toilet while other uses sink. Nice full size closet with 10 hangers. Our room had a balcony overlooking the parking lot, and then the harbor and Holiday Inn. Nothing fancy, but nice and comfortable at a reasonable price. Too bad that parking is charged separately rather than bundled in to the price. I don't like to be “nickle and dimed”. Breakfast hotel is ok, same level as Denny’s but pricier. Smell in the city - agriculural and oil drilling along with low tide - not the best smell combination.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear KP3,
Thank you for your review. Each area you reviewed, helps us in our planning toward being the best local destination. We are and will continue to upgrade our property. We did begin to charge for parking this year as an addtion to Guest Services. Please come and stay again and stop by and share any suggestions you may have. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Great harbor location, room was spacious, bed was comfy and bathroom was clean and updated (LCD flatscreen TV, small fridge for your own food/drinks). All rooms have a large enclosed balcony (high concrete walls), perfect for our dog to run around in. Room had great view of harbor and very close to shops and restaurants in Village Harbor. Lobby was updated but hallways and other common area was dated. Staff was helpful and friendly. Lots of parking. Would come back again.

Only complaint was the fan in the room, when we turned it on, room smelled like human urine! No problem when using AC, think maybe homeless person peed next to the fan intake outside. Very odd.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Luvtosafari,
Thank you for staying with us at Four Points and for writing a review. We appreciate knowing what you liked about our property. We are pet friendly. Most of us are pet owners and enjoy meeting our "pet " guests. I have talked to Staff about your evaluations to make us a better place to stay. It was very helpful to see through your eyes. We apologize about the fan. Come to see us again and don't forget to stop by and say hello. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hotel is located just off the beach in Ventura, CA. It is also across the street from major agricultural farming -- read that smelly fertilizer and pesticides. I have stayed at this hotel twice for convention events and both times the odor that assails you when you come into the lobby is like dead fish. It is also in the hallways and can be smelled in the rooms. For this reason alone, anyone with allergies or sensitive nose should stay at another location. If it weren't for the need to be at the hotel where the conference is held every year, I would do just that myself.

I should note that I have been there in April and November. I can't speak to the air quality or odor issue at other times of the year as it depends on when they are preparing the fields and when they are spraying. However, I do believe that the hotel personnel would be honest about that if you asked before you booked, especially if you have allergies.

Second annoyance is that they charge their paying guests $12.00 per day to park their car! There is no other place you can park a car in the area, so they've got you. This is a real irritation to me about hotels these days.

That being said, the room that I stayed in was spacious, well appointed, and comfortable. The bed, pillows, and linens were very nice. They give you several different styles of pillows on each bed. Bathroom and closet area is very spacious. Flat screen TV. Free WiFi, and there are computers for guests in the main lobby. Nice view, varied from room to room, with individual patio/balconies.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the food in the restaurant is very good (we had buffet lunch daily, and the Sunday brunch). The grounds are lovely, with a very pleasant lawn and garden area with water cascade and stream running through. There are also tennis courts, spa, weight room, bicycles to peddle to the beach, and beautiful outdoor heated pool.

There are a number of restaurants near by and Main Street in renovated Old Ventura is only 15 minutes away, as is a very large mall with a Trader Joe's.

If it weren't for the odor/air quality problem and the parking fee, I would give this hotel four stars.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank HereAndNowAlways
VDollar, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. We do have agriculture adjacent to our location. We are part of the Ventura Harbor area that includes beaches, restaurants, shopping and residential properties.
It is unfortunate that in two visits you experienced unsatisfactory conditions. Thank you for the comments you made. We always appreciate evaluation. I hope you will try a stay with us again.

Catherine Stevens
Guest Services Manager
Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Mistakes happen, right? But rarely ones so obvious or, well, gross.

I arrived very late in the evening and the night staff was exceptional. I went to sleep without going into the bathroom, since the sink is located outside. But when I woke up to shower the next morning, there were false eyelashes on the wall of the shower, with a mascara trail running down the wall. When I went to make coffee, the paper cup had yellow stains in it (I can only guess what they were--clearly the cups had been "recycled"). Makes you wonder what else they may have not cleaned, right?

I spoke to the housing supervisor and then to the front desk, who told me there was "nothing" she could do. When I asked for a manager, I was handed a card of someone who "would be back on Monday."

I wound up calling the Starwoods Preferred Guest membership number and was told that refunds had to come from the property, so I had to write to the hotel manager. Eventually half of the points I used to book got refunded, after a lot of time spent on my part.

I've never been at a Starwoods property that didn't have a manager on-site or one where I was told there was "nothing" that could be done. Housekeeping mistakes are one thing, but complete lack of service? I won't be back, and no one I know will, either.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TVC1515
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. All comments help us to evaluate our actions and standards. I apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.. Comfort and quality of cleanliness are a priority all Guests expect. We have reviewed your stay with our staff. Should you stay with us in the future, please contact me personally. Sincerely, Catherine Stevens Guest Services Manager (805) 658-1212

Travellers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel while attending a wedding in the hotel. What a nice venue for a wedding. Food and service was excellent. Their sunday brunch seafood buffet was also excellent. The hotel is nice and clean. The staff is friendly. The heated pool, jacuzzi and tennis court make it an nice place for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Catherine S, Public Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Cioub,'
Thank you for reviewing a great stay with us. Our Staff wants each guest to feel they are special and are pleased when someone has a good experience. We know what it is like to travel for a Wedding or conference. It is so nice when we can enjoy our distination. Please visit us again and say hello. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager