“Do not recommend”
Review of Lake Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ventura
Lake Casitas
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Wasp city. We tried to fish and had so many wasps swarming around our boat, that the fishing experience was a nightmare. We tried just about every spot on the lake and continually had the same experience, even in the middle of the lake. When we docked our boat and mentioned it to the person on duty, he said, "yeah, there are alot wasps out there." Thanks for the heads up! Warning signs would have been nice.

Some of the restrooms were moderately clean, but most were filthy.

The prices for everything was more expensive than was on their website.

We will not be going back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Cugli64
There are newer reviews for Lake Casitas

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We have an anual family camping trip that we do over Labor Day and includes around 30 people ranging in age from late 70s to 2 years old. This year we tried Lake Casitas and were overwhelmingly unimpressed and will not be back. When I made the reservation, I explained what I needed and was given 6 ajoining sites in the Grebe campground. When we first arrived, I was pretty hopeful. The grounds are nice and the lake is really pretty. However, once the campground began to fill we noticed that Grebe is also where they put "overflow" camping. By Saturday morning the campground and the entire hillside were full of campers and the one bathroom/toilet per sex was not even close to able to handle the humanity. I would echo prior comments, the bathrooms did not have lights and were beyond filthy 99% of the time. The showers are in the next campground over and you really have to drive over to get there. I like marichi music as much as the next gal, but it was played very loudly very late. Apparently there is an assumption that everyone wants to hear your music and it was really so loud that I can not imagine how anyone on those sites could hear each other speak. I did not see anything in the way of Park Ranger patrol which I thought was odd since when we stay in State campgrounds they are everywhere and in some cases a little militant about quiet hours etc.
We did get tickets to the water park for Saturday and the park was nice although it really is only able to hold the kids attention for a few hours so $12.00 per kid is sort of expensive. They were offering star gazing one nite and a movie showing another which we did not attend.
I am sure that the hook up sites probably had better bathroom facilities but my family indicated that they would rather have the pit toilets we had in Big Bear a few years ago to the 3rd world filth we saw at Casitas.
I went into this knowing Labor Day weekend is busy everywhere and ready to cut them a little slack. However, overall I was very disapointed because given the size of my crowd, I usually need a State group campground and they are not easy to come by. Reservations at Casitas were so easy and there seemed to be little competition when I made them. I was really hoping this would be a place we could come back to-NOT.

Room Tip: The hookup sites are probably better than those that take mostly tents given the self contained issu...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank tourguideshanenee
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The water park sold out. No more movie night for kids.

Park attendants are teenagers with no type of knowledge about the park or just common sense. The personnel are rude and on a power trip.

Rangers are doing minimal patrolling, which allows for rowdy people with loud music until 3 am. And stupid little dogs barking at 6am

Facilities are poorly managed. No lights some bathrooms. The toilets are disgusting with vomit, blood and human excrement. It feels worst than 3rd world country. Showers, the water pressure seems to be near to nothing.

Some camping grounds poorly maintained with holes on the ground big enough to twist your uncle.

I understand that it is camping, but you are paying $35 a night for some something and getting basically nothing. My family went to Casitas at least 4 times a year. Not, no more. We are so very sad that Lake Casitas camping is gone bad. We actually had a reservation for 4 nights and we home after the 2nd night.

8  Thank memo91355
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Have been here many times. This is one of the nicer camp grounds in Ventura. We stayed in Area B with water and electric hookup, which for this stay was nice because we made use of the water park. If you tow a dingy this a a great place because of the wine tasting in the area and also just to get around the park. Restrooms could of been a little cleaner but all in all they were ok.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

This was our first time at this lake. We had a great spot in the G section with lots of shade and a nice view of the lake. We arrived Sunday night and I guess it must have been a busy weekend as the bathrooms were horrendous. My son could not even use the men's room as there were flies and feces on the toilet. I had to have him go into the women's room, which was littered with trash. When I called to report this, I was told they would be cleaned at 8:00 the next morning. Also, the two large trash bins were overflowing and stayed that way for the two days we were there. It's very unfortunate, because otherwise, it would have been a nice place stay.

One note: Section G is for tent camping and there is no tap water, no electrical outlets and no showers in walking distance. I've been at other camp sites that had all these amenities, so it never occured to me that we wouldn't have at least a tap. So if you'll need to wash dishes, bring in your own water and bucket.

We stopped at a restroom in the RV section on the way out and they had very nice restrooms, with actual flushing toilets (as opposed to the type that you step on a pedal and it dumps into an underground tank), as well as toilet seat covers and sinks and soap. Our restroom had no paper seat covers, no sink, no soap. Just hand sanitizer on the wall. But I guess I should be thankful they gave us toilet paper. It really made me feel like we stayed in the low budget area.

There was a previous comment about paying more and staying in a better section, but this was a site recommended to us by the person in Reservations since we were new to the lake. If not for having to hold our bladders as long as possible before enduring the nasty restrooms, we may have been able to enjoy our stay more.

5  Thank marichan4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
12.1 km away
2.5 km away
Oakridge Inn
Oakridge Inn
#1 of 1 in Oak View

Been to Lake Casitas? Share your experiences!