“Pork pad Thai and pot stickers ”
Review of Sweet Basil Thai

Sweet Basil Thai
Ranked #29 of 129 Restaurants in Cedar City
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Description: Near Wal-Mart in Cedar City
Description: Near Wal-Mart in Cedar City
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

The pot stickers here are perfect. The pork pad Thai was a little too sweet for my taste. The place is owned and run by a married couple and I’d come here again.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

This place was nice and the food was tasty. The service was fine and the food was served in a reasonable time. You can choose your hotness level from 1 to 10 with 10 being the hottest. I like hot food so I ordered the 10. It was not very hot. Their sodas are served in a can so no refills.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

The waitress was nice. The dining room is not very inviting. The rug is stained. My entree I would say was sort of "gloppy" and not fresh like most Thai food. The spiciness came from red pepper flakes, which I don't believe is normally used in Thai food. The chicken tasted funny - like it was the cheapest possible. I wanted to like it - but won't be going back.

1  Thank Sylvia G
Reviewed 7 September 2017

My husband is vegetarian and I am vegan. During our travels we often look for Thai restaurants to be able to serve our needs. Sweet Basil Thai was the only Thai restaurant in Cedar City, so we decided to try it after an 8-hour road trip. It was somewhat of a disappointment since others had rated it so highly.

The restaurant is located in a mall, and is more cafeteria than nice dining. The decor is minimal, and it feels more like a take-out place where you sit and wait for your order. We arrived at least an hour before closing time, but it seemed that the two waiters were bored or tired and couldn't wait to leave. One was very new because he did not know much about ingredients in the dishes. He tried to be helpful and was very apologetic, but had to keep going into the kitchen to get the answers to our questions. In between serving food the waiters were loudly discussing books with each other (which I found refreshing in a strange sort of way, since at least they were interested in reading), but it was inappropriate for a restaurant.

We had been looking forward to a nice summer roll with fresh vegetables and herbs, but to our disappointment they only had fried spring rolls. We don't eat anything fried. So we skipped the appetizers and went to the main course.

My husband had massaman curry with tofu. He asked for fresh tofu but got fried tofu. The curry was passable. He asked for some chili sauce because he likes his curries spicier, thinking that they would have a homemade chili sauce as many Thai restaurants do, but got bottled Sriracha ("rooster sauce").

The waiter notified me that every curry was precooked and had fish sauce, which I don't eat as a vegan. I told him I was a vegan and I requested steamed mixed vegetables with rice. All was well --how wrong can you go with plain steamed vegetables?-- until I bit in a piece of fatty chicken. I didn't send the plate back, but let the waiter know that it was a big no-no for a vegan, and to notify the cook of this problem. I'm not sure if he ever did.

We split a sticky rice with mango dessert. Although the mango itself was good, the sauce that was poured over the rice was far too sweet.

I believe this restaurant could be so much better. Every town needs a Thai restaurant, but it should be a good if not great Thai restaurant, where people want to come back to. I gave this restaurant a 3 because I know that it is a mom-and-pop place and I want them to succeed, but I really hope that they up their game.

One last thing: since it is Cedar City, they don't serve alcohol.

1  Thank ElleLaJolla
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Great little place with a wonderful menu! Very popular, busy with take-outs and restaurant diners. Generous portions. Took some home for next day lunch.