Hotel Metro
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Executive Hotel LeSoleil(New York City)
  • Room Service
The Gregory Hotel New York(New York City)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness centre
  • Pool
  • Fitness centre
4,383 results
All reviewsroof terracemetro grillbagelsthe empire state buildingtea and coffeepremier queen roomnew yorkgreat hoteltimes squarecontinental breakfastfamily suiteset you up for the dayherald squarepenn stationthe penthousefresh fruitperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This was our third stay at the Hotel Metro. We were celebrating a milestone anniversary and going to the opera. We got a superior queen room - we were very happy with the room size and amenities, at a reasonable price for midtown Manhattan (everything's relative, of course). It's close to several different subway lines, so as previous posters have said, close to theaters, shopping, restaurants in newly hip locations, etc. Staff were helpful and polite. Will definitely return.

The hotel validates and gives a discount for parking at the garage on 35th St, just west of the hotel (i.e., before the hotel going east on 35th, which is one-way).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 36th Street (the "back") - there is some construction going on, but only in the daytime, and it's quieter than listening to the trash being picked up on the 35th St side.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda D
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I booked this hotel for 3 nights for my fiancés 30th birthday through ba.com 1 week before departure and got a great deal - especially as the hotel is central and the price included breakfast. I emailed ahead of our trip to inform them that we would be celebrating a big birthday requesting a room upgrade if possible, nice quiet room and one with a view. I received a quick response telling me that an upgrade would not be possible however they would ensure that there was something in the room for us to celebrate! Having done lots of research, we decided to get public transport from JFK rather than a cab which was super easy - just get on the Airtrain at JFK to Jamaica station and then catch the LIRR to Penn station...the hotel is 5 minutes walk and costs half the price (approx $20 one way for 2 people) of a cab and only takes 45 mins (cab ride can be anything up to 1hr 30). If I went again and there was more than 2 of us then I would get a cab as it would then work out as fairly similar in price.
We arrived to the hotel at 1pm and were allowed to check in early, it turned out we were given an upgrade to a premier room, had a view of the Empire State Building and there was a box of chocs. We were on floor 12 which was one of the refurbished floors - bathroom was very modern and it was kept extremely clean - there were tea and coffee facilities in the room. We basically got everything I asked for in my email although it was rather noisy as the room was on the street - take some ear plugs just in case! You have to expect noise in NYC so this didn't bother us but request a back room if you think this will be a problem. Make sure you take advantage of the free tea/coffee and take a cup up to the rooftop to get an amazing view of the Empire State Building at night. Breakfast was brilliant - something for everyone - tea/coffee, juices, bagels, cream cheese, toast, jams, pastries, yoghurts, fruit, cereal - not sure what people are referring to when they say that there isn't very much to choose from. Hotel is in perfect location with Macy's at one end of the street, 5th Avenue at the other and the Empire State Building just across the road.
We packed a lot in over 3 1/2 days and literally walked everywhere! It is so simple and only on 3 occasions did we get a cab and that was just because our feet hurt so much. Our itinerary looked a bit like this: day 1 afternoon - World Trade Centre, Staten Island ferry to get a view of Statue of liberty, and then halfway across Brooklyn Bridge to look at Manhatten skyline in the dark. Day 2 - walk to UN building, Grand Central Station, Times Square & Top of the Rock. Day 3 - 5th & Madison Avenue, Central Park. Day 4: Greenwich Village and then enough time to go back to Times Square/5th & Madison Avenue.
It was so tiring and I do feel that I need another holiday to recover but I am so glad that we got to see everything that we wanted to. A trip to NYC can be as cheap/expensive as you want it to be, especially when it comes to food. I would strongly advise that you think twice about eating out as it was extremely expensive and we were not at all impressed with the quality of food - if you want a good pizza then Lombardi's in Little Italy was lovely. Drinks are very expensive - $8 for a small bottle of beer/glass of wine. Also when it comes to sight seeing, you don't have to spend a lot of money either - we only paid $50 for the 2 of us for Top of the Rock and I would definitely recommend this over the Empire State Building as you actually get to see the Empire State Building and also Central Park. Make sure you book a time slot so that you are up there when the sun sets as you then get the best of both worlds! Visitor passes to the World Trade Centre were free and so is the Staten Island Ferry - I think when (!) we go back, I would pay the money to do the Liberty/Ellis island tour.
One final tip - if you are getting a cab then make sure the traffic is flowing in the direction that you want to travel otherwise you can spend $5-10 just sat in a cab whilst it goes round the block and turns round. Walk if you can though - it's the best way to see the City.

Room Tip: Inform hotel ahead of time if you will be celebrating a special occasion Do top of the Rock over ESB and book a slot so you are up there when the sun sets Walk if you can Don't bother with formal sit down meals - very expensive and food not good quality Make sure traffic is flowing in direction you want to travel if getting a cab
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank NinaAllard
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed at the hotel metro for one week at the end of jan. it was a break my husband bought me for my wedding present and my birthday and we had a fantastic week!!
The hotel is in a brilliant location to get to pretty much any part of manhattan. Ideal for theatre goers and shoppers! Macy's is right at the end of the street, theatre district a 10 min walk and the great 5th ave shops 20mins from your doorstep. We spent the first 2 days walking absolutely everywhere and then, when exhausted, we discovered the subway - so easy, cheap and reliable we were glad we took the plunge!
Our room was on the fourth floor at the back of the hotel and I have to say was much quieter than I'd anticipated. There was very little, if any noise from other guests and we heard very little traffic noise too it certainly didn't disturb us- brilliant given that you're between 5th and 6th ave!
The room was reasonably sized (good by NYC standards I believe) with a lovely comfy big bed, built in wardrobe and a tv cabinet with drawers. There's a Handy fridge if you want to store drinks/food and a safety deposit box that was easy to work out!
The bathroom was small, clean and functional, we didn't want for anything extra.
The breakfasts have been mentioned elsewhere, but essentially you can have as little or much as you like. My husband loved the bagels , i thought it was nice to have the option of Fresh fruit too - its too easy to overeat in NYC. Nice also that the coffee and tea is available at all times although my only suggestion would be to offer juice too. We found ourselves buying cold drinks to take back to the room a lot, and as hot drinks facilities aren't in the room it can be a little annoying having to go downstairs but really no big deal.
Overall our stay at the metro was lovely. Staff are very helpful, polite and friendly and rooms give everything you need after a long day sightseeing (or shopping!!). If we were to return to NYC id definitely consider another stay in the metro.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank debzter
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This is the 5th occasion I have stayed at the Metro. The fact that I keep returning indicates that I am happy with it.

As a solo traveller I always have a Superior Queen Room. Sounds a lot grander than it actually is as they can be rather small. This is not, however, a problem for me as I spend very little time in my room. Who does in NYC! Since my previous trip the old CRT TV’s have been replaced with LCD models and this makes the rooms seem a bit bigger. The rooms I have used have not had much room for hanging clothes and I have had to put my case under the table. Plenty of drawer space though.

No problem at all regarding cleanliness of rooms. The chamber maids do a great job. Beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. My only problem with the pillows is, however, that they are all the same thickness and a bit too thick for me. Housekeeping were, however, able to supply me with a thinner one so all was ok.

The complimentary Wi Fi seems to slowed down considerably. The last time I stayed it was fast but on this occasion I could not get online a couple of times. I found that it was better to take my tablet down to the lounge where the signal was stronger. In any event, there is a complimentary business centre with two desktop PC’s and printer.

The complimentary continental breakfast is fine and gets the day off to a good start. The usual cereals, juices, toast etc. I like to eat as soon as I have gotten up and don’t like having to hunt around for a diner. Although rooms don’t have tea/coffee making facilities, there is complimentary tea and coffee all day in the lounge. Great for when you want to relax after a long day out. Rooms have fridges so it is possible to keep food and drink cool during the hot weather.

The location is excellent. Some great bars on 35th St and it is only a stones throw from 5th and 6th Avenues. 34th St subway is right at the end on the block and very convenient. I have stayed at several hotels in NYC and this is the one I return to most often. I will certainly use it again. The staff are mostly very helpful and friendly. Matthew on the door deserves special mention as does Tyler at the desk. Both were really helpful.

Overall I can highly recommend this hotel. I am a very satisfied returning customer and look forward to my next stay there.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one that does not overlook the street. It can be noisy. Rooms in the centre of the hotel are best. They have absolutely no view and are dark but very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank ST1951
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I brought my boyfreind to newyork for his 30th birthday and we stayed here at the hotel metro, before i say anymore i am the hardest person to please in the world as far as quality goes! the hotel was beautifully decorated, clean & suprisingly quiet considering nyc is so busy & loud, the staff were helpful esspeically 'Matthew' who got us some great deals on tickets for the empire state building, tips on the cheapest & fastest way to get around nyc, places to go etc etc he was really really helpfull our room was small cold and noisey situated at the frount of the hotel so i upgraded our room for a small fee to have a big spacious warm quiet room at the side of building which was wonderful, staff were really helpfull, the breakfast was great free tea coffee all day and night. All of the major sites were in walkng distance of the hotel i couldnt belive how close everything was it made life there easy to see everything and staff would happily arrange travel or help in anyway they could i loved coming back to hotel after a long day on your feet to relax in a lovely hotel i would definatly stay there again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite on side of building as it is bigger warmer and has no noise definalty recommend this as our first room ther was small cold and noisey at the front of the building we stayed in a lovely upgraded room leel 3 room 311
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple