1,740 results
All reviews ramada inn bagels the empire state building new york murray hill memory foam boiled eggs free breakfast breakfast room lexington avenue good size budget hotel few blocks small bathroom two queen beds times square front desk staff
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

While a family member had surgery at NYU Langone, I sought a hotel that was convenient so I would not have to commute to NYC from central NJ. The Hotel@New York City was a convenient taxi ride away from the hospital, the room was spotlessly clean, the AC worked efficiently, nice fluffy towels, and had a Continental breakfast. Also, there were several restaurants nearby serving dinner. It fit my needs perfectly. The only drawback was one slow elevator working for a 12-story hotel, but It did not prove to be much of a problem for me. The Hotel was reasonably priced, even considering high NY taxes, so I felt it was a good value.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2017

One of the worst experiences that I have ever had in NYC! The front desk staff was beyond rude, answering the phone nonchalantly as if it were her private line.
Waited for 15 minutes for an elevator that came packed with other guests and hotel staff.
I understand the rate is reasonable compared to other hotels, but I would much rather spend my time in a more comfortable welcoming environment.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank M S
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Honestly, if it hadn't been for the incredibly unwelcoming check-in process my overall outlook of the property might have been different. I live an hour outside of Manhattan and host events in the city. When I know I'm going to have a very late night, I often stay in a hotel rather than drive/take the train home late at night. I got an email from Booking.com offering a vastly discounted rate for this hotel, one of those "this is too good to be true" rates, so I grabbed it. It was my first time booking through the budget website, and my first time staying at this property. I figured if I loved the hotel I'd book through them directly in the future, as I usually do with properties I find through other websites. That will NOT be the case with this property; I'm thankful I did not dish out a lot of money for the room!

It's a pretty decent location, I got off at Grand Central and chose to walk the 12 block to the hotel because it was a beautiful day out. I got to the hotel around 5 pm. There were two couples ahead of me waiting to check-in, one man working the check-in desk. It took around 10 minutes of waiting before it was finally my time to check in, not bad for a wait time. When it was my turn, I cheerfully gave my name and offered my credit card and ID for the reservation. The man was approachable enough, until he pulled up my reservation and saw I booked through Booking at a very discounted rate. He mumbled something in-audible, then asked for my credit card. I requested a non-smoking room on a lower level and asked to confirm this. He answered, "thrfloor". I asked him to repeat his answer, this time I got a louder "third floor". That was fine, still easy to take the stairs (I wanted the exercise) so I thanked him and proceeded with checking in. He made a copy of my card, never took my ID, then handed me a key. I asked for a receipt he mumbled, "when you check out" and pointed me in the direction of the stairs.

When I got up to my room the first thing I noticed was that the room number clearly had the words "smoking room" underneath the numbers. The check-in process took longer than anticipated, so I opted to walk into the room and see if it reeked of cigarettes, luckily it did not, so rather than take the time to go down and switch rooms and risk being late for work, I put my suitcase away, changed my outfit, and left for my event.

My room was a simple, 1 person, 1 queen bed room. Upon opening the door there is a Queen bed directly in the center of the room, two small nightstands on either side of the bed with lights (and a reading light), a TV stand and flat screen tv directly next to the door, and a small desk with a coffee maker next to the TV on the window side. There is a small closet with a safe, extra blankets, an iron and ironing board on the opposite side of the window. Beneath the window is a radiator. Next to the closet is a small but functional bathroom, shower (with broken drain), single sink, towels under the sink, hairdryer and a toilet. Small but functional room.

There were also massive stains on the carpeting, the mirror on the wall had a thick grime on the surface, the mirror in the bathroom was peeling and the drain in the tub was broken. See photos.

Supposedly there was free wifi but I was unable to connect to it.

I was in bed by 2am, and up by 9am for breakfast. The man in charge of breakfast was equally as unresponsive as the man who checked me into the hotel. Breakfast consisted of Toast, Bagels, Muffins, Donuts, Coffee, Milk, Juice and Yogurt. I returned to my room with a cup of coffee and a muffin, took a quick shower, then checked out.

The man who checked me out of the hotel was lovely, he thanked me for staying at the hotel and I finally received a receipt!

Bottom line, it's a cheap, budget hotel and not worth more than $100 a night. I paid $76, $94 with tax. Unless they put their staff through customer service training, I have no interest in ever staying at this property again. I get that they might not have made a ton of money on me, this visit, but that doesn't mean they needed to treat me like I was some sort of cheap jerk. Customer service 101, treat everyone equally.

Room Tip: Supposedly the elevator is slow, so I requested a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank LaurenR87
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Me and my friend booked a package holiday through a local travel agents, we started our 3 part holiday (NY, San Francisco and Vegas) in New York. We got a taxi from Newark airport which cost about $70/80. We gave the taxi driver the hotel address, upon arriving at the destination we saw only one hotel 'The Hotel @ New York City', the hotel name provided by our travel agents was 'Ramada Eastside', this was ok but we were a little bit puzzled as to why we weren't notified about the name change. The hotel was pretty central, it was a street or two away from the empire state building. We checked in ok, and staff were friendly. Our travel agents didn't tell us about the city tax fee which was required to be paid upon arrival (i think this was about $10/20 per person in total, we stayed for 3 nights).
The room we stayed in was on the 7th floor, the room had two double beds which were extremely comfy, the room was clean and nice. The room had air conditioning which was great as it was about 34 degrees celsius outside so it was nice to get back in and the room was cold. The wi-fi was free with pretty good connection.
When we booked the holiday, we booked for bed and breakfast, the breakfast was buffet style options included were cereal, toast, bagels, cakes, teas/coffees, fruit juices. The food was really nice.
The hotel had two iMacs and a printer which were handy as we had to check in for our flight to san francisco, this was free of charge to use.
On our last day we asked the hotel receptionist to book us a taxi to the airport, the only downside was that only one of the two lifts appeared to be in operation, as the hotel had many floors and we were leaving around the time people were heading to breakfast it took a good 20 minutes to get in the lift (we left the room 10 minutes before the taxi was due to arrive), which resulted in the taxi having to wait for us, luckily the taxi driver didn't charge us for the wait. The hotel receptionist apologised for the inconvenience when i'd finally managed to get to the ground floor, i'd thought about using the stairs but lugging a 23kg suitcase and hand luggage down 7 flights of stairs would have been pretty difficult.
Overall i'd highly recommend this hotel if you're planning on taking a trip to New York, considerations though would be to leave your room 20 minutes before the taxi is due if you plan to take a suitcase with you in the lift, especially around breakfast time. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank h102015
Reviewed 27 June 2017

The hotel is in a nice location and near to many restaurants. I had read the reviews about the elevator and was aware of this, but hopefully this gets fixed soon, as it does take quite a while for it to come and is not that large.

Great that there was a business center area in the the lobby area, as I had problems with my Wi-Fi connection and couldn't get onto my emails.

Room was small, but this is too be expected for New York, I would however ask for a room on the highest floor to get away from the constant traffic noise. I was on the 6th floor.

Room Tip: Highest floor possible to get away from traffic noise
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo