2,602 results
All reviews upper west side museum of natural history central park amsterdam avenue nice martin new york columbia university attached restaurant great neighborhood subway line two blocks coffee maker wonderful hotel times square queen room hudson river business center
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We just came back from our third stay at the Lucerne Hotel in the past three years. I'm pretty confident that we will go back there a 4th time!

The hotel is in a fantastic location, a short walk from Central Park, the AMNH, the dozens of restaurants on Amsterdam Ave., the shopping on Broadway, and just one block from the subway station to get downtown. The room was clean and relatively spacious, overnight parking just a couple of blocks away and at a very reasonable price.

I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room tip: Top floors are shielded away from the street noise. Our friends (two adults, three children) got a deal for one of the luxury suites, and it was quite crammed. Our regular two-queen bedroom was just fine.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MDP03
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I visited this hotel during an intensive country-wide business trip in August, and had a good experience staying there. This was my first overnight stay in New York city.

Pros: Friendly and helpful staff; the doorman went to great lengths to find me some transport to New Jersey (the traditional cabs did not want to leave Manhattan since they would lose money being away from the action for a while!); the black car that was arranged, cost a lot though (USD 240 to take me about 30 miles to New Jersey, and back two hours later); the hotel location was very convenient - I could easily walk to Central Park, and the rail station was perhaps 100m away from the hotel (for links to Times Square and the rest of New York city); the room was very clean, well-appointed and comfortable; complimentary high-speed internet access in the room; same-day laundry service also worked well.

Cons: Nothing much; slight niggle was the interleading door to adjacent restaurant that was locked, so one had to leave the hotel to access it (out the entrance, and around the corner); the business centre on the 2nd floor could be spruced up a little as well.

I am revisiting this hotel again in a few days' time!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The hotel has very nice service. The room was small but very clean. If is an Excellent Location. You don't need to look any farther for a NYC hotel. It is right by several subways lines so you can get anywhere. There are lots of places to eat nearby and the hotel rooms are quiet despite the busy streets below. One caveat: if you are expecting a room that offers a sitting area, this is not the right hotel for you. This is the right hotel if you want to be in a choice location that is safe and convenient to public transportation. We went there without kids but we saw lots of travelers with families. You do not need a car but if you drive, try to park on one of the side streets before you pay to park. Make sure to go to Zabars for a bagel and a good walk in central park.

Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The Lucerne is a wonderful hotel in a prime location on the UWS. Getting around the city couldn't be easier! The subway is a right on the corner, with the 1 train running directly north and south (Times Square, etc), and there are also two bus stops at either end of the block to catch the M79 across Central Park. I was traveling with two small children, and the walk to the subway was easy even for them.

Amazing restaurants and cafes in every direction and within only a few blocks of the hotel. We were big fans of the coffeehouse across the street (Irving Farm), and we also would recommend the cream puff bakery 5 blocks away, Momofuku Milk Bar 6 or 7 blocks away, Luke's Lobster Rolls, and of course Barney Greengrass. There is a splendid used bookstore called the Westsider that is on the next block. Walk to the Met is pleasant and easy, and the western edge of Central Park (Shakespeare Garden, west side playground) is right there.

Everyone working in the hotel was very pleasant. The only complaint I would have is that the wireless was spotty, which posed a problem for me as I was working, and the night shift hotel desk just referred me to their IT company -- I would rather someone else did the IT troubleshooting in the middle of the night, thank you.

We stayed in a two-bed suite. It was roomy enough, for a NYC hotel room, and there were air conditioners in both rooms that kept us nicely refrigerated even during a very hot August week. We were on the 11th floor, and we got very little street noise.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank styron
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed at the Lucerne for two nights. It was a business trip. Location is terrific and the room was clean, roomy and the AC was high-powered and satisfying since NYC was experiencing a record heatwave. However, one of the elevators was out of order and when I asked when it would be back in service, I got non-answers from the staff. Luckily, my room was on the third floor. But for those who were higher up, well, it was a long wait in the lobby for the one functioning elevator. I did get to meet and see many people in the stairwell. The steps are quite steep but that's because the building is quite old. Overall, my stay was satisfactory. I wouldn't mind staying there again if I had to make another business trip. But for leisure I would probably choose another hotel that's closer to Columbus Circle.

Date of stay: June 2012