1,485 results
All reviews columbus circle lincoln center great gym key card times square three blocks location is excellent rooms are small bunkbeds sauna broadway starbucks ave
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I stayed here back in April 2015 (my first visit to the big apple). The room was very small only had a bunk bed and a desk with a fan on that didnt work. The air con was outdated and occasionally worked, but had to keep the window open due to there being a heat wave.
There was limited floor space to put our suitcases and to get our things out of them.
We didnt spend much time in the room due to exploring the city but it did it's job for what we paid for (around £600 for 7 nights).
The staff were helpful and friendly and it was in a good location in the city.

The big downside to this place was the massive shared bathrooms for all the rooms.

Overall a good place to stay on a budget.

Room tip: Small rooms
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Feirny312
nkellerwatson, reservations agent at West Side YMCA, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for your review! We have made many improvements since 2015 and we welcome you back to try us again!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Worst mattress I have ever tried to sleep on!!!
I was taking a nap for 10 minutes and woke up with a sore lower back. In response to that problem the receptionist sent people to replace it, but they got an even worse one.
Afterwards, another receptionist tried to give a lame excuse that since it's a hostel there's nothing to be done, and even quiet me down when I tried to give my opinion.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

We are sorry there was an issue during your stay and we thank you for sharing this information with us. We will work to be sure this does not happen again

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I stayed there beginning of Christmas.
I think I got very lucky. Did not have to wait to checkin. Got a good quiet room. Clean. BO BED BUGS. Good view.

However, bathroom were pretty dirty. Shower door are pretty transparent :s

Some rooms are next to the toilet and pomp which are very noisy. Must be horrible room to stay at. Probably ask when booking for a quiet one as I did.

Location was absolutely perfect amazing !

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
nkellerwatson, Reservations Agent at West Side YMCA, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are sorry there were some issues with the bathrooms and we thank you for letting us know

Reviewed 24 March 2018

I stayed here back in December with my 7 year old for a weekend. I have stayed at the Vanderbilt prior to this stay and would say I prefer the Westside location. It is directly across from Central Park and a couple hundred feet from Lincoln Center. Easy walk to see the Nutcrakcer and some nice restaurants. This is a great location in the winter as it also only steps to the Christmas Shops and ice skating at Central Park. However, this location is far less inviting and the bathrooms were awful. One toilet on the whole floor was working at this time. The showers had less privacy then the Vanderbilt and there was no minifrdge in the room either. For a hostel and the price I would stay here again but I would likely chose the Vanderbilt for its cleanliness.

Room tip: Some rooms were being remodeled, I would ask for those when you book.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah B
nkellerwatson, Reservations Agent at West Side YMCA, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your detailed feedback and we use this feedback to make improvements. Thank you for sharing!

Reviewed 28 February 2018

We stayed in the hostel/hotel whilst on a school trip from the UK. Whilst we didn't expect anything amazing before we went, i was frankly shocked with the disgrace we were given to stay in. Our door had to be forced locked, our radiator was broken, our room was so small we could hardly fit both me and my friends case in the room. The beds were highly uncomfortable and to top it off the ladder would not connect to the top bunk. We also found a small rusty pin in our bunk on the second night! The bathrooms were small, and very uncomfortable to use. The showers were see through and when sharing with strangers made for an awkward experience. Only 2 of the 3 toilets worked which made for long queues. It became very crowded at a night time and early mornings.

Overall, i believe that if you are staying in a beautiful place like New York, you should spend a bit more money on a nicer experience in a nicer hotel. Will not be returning!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank jess_maroney
nkellerwatson, Reservations Agent at West Side YMCA, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

We are very sorry this was your experience at West Side and we appreciate you sharing this information so that we can make the proper improvements