“Would not stay again beccause of uncomfortable bed and communal bathroom.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of West Side YMCA

West Side YMCA
“Would not stay again beccause of uncomfortable bed and communal bathroom.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

1.) Twin mattress creaked (loudly) whenever I adjusted myself. Mattress thin enough to feel frame beneath.
2.) Maid disregarded Do Not Disturb sign - twice. Took my personal towels.
3.) Communal showers dirty. Reserve room with private bathroom if possible.
4.) Location is awesome.
5.) Staff friendly, helpful.
6.) Great exercise facilities.

I so appreciate my own bed and bathroom after my 5 day stay. Next visit, I would gladly pay a little more for better accomodations, even if a distance away.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I just returned from staying at the Y and have just read my review of it from 2008. Very little has changed. The plain and simple dorm-style rooms have not changed at all except for the small flatscreen TVs in the rooms. Bathroom doors still slam shut; cleanliness was better than last visit. Lots of school groups here - I definitely felt like I was in a hostel, not a hotel. You can get free wireless access from the ground floor, not from rooms on upper levels.

There is so much within walking distance - tons of shopping, 2 movie theatres, Central Park, Lincoln Centre, plenty of restaurants and grocery stores. Great bakeries nearby - Epicerie Boulud, Bouchon Bakery and Magnolia Cupcakes are all within a couple of blocks. Plus a subway stop a block away. An amazing neighbourhood and still a great choice for anyone who wants to avoid typical NYC hotel rates.

Room Tip: Try to get a quieter room far away from the bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Snurful
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here for two nights before my friend got into town and though we were planning to spend the rest of the week here we checked into somewhere else.

The room was clean but tiny with a massive and unnecessarily large TV. At night it was pretty noisy and very very hot.The bathrooms were pretty grim.

I wouldn't go back as there are better places to stay on a budget.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
East Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I travel quite a bit. I've stayed in places with marble floors to the walk-in closets (The Seoul Plaza - a quite splendid hotel) and places of such horror and terror that closing your eyes at night seemed like an impossible dare (some flea pit near Kings Cross station in London, whose name I have thankfully blanked from my memory).
Although it is true to say say that the West Side Y is closer to flea pit than palace that's a simplistic and unfair comparison to make: let me tell you why.
1. The decor – to be fair the material make-up of the rooms is Spartan, and sometimes looks like it got into a street fight (and lost). But the rooms are always clean.
2. Yes, you share a bathroom. So for me that meant my students might walk in while I'm in the shower: if I can live with that thought you can live with the thought of a stranger seeing your derrière. Get over it, everyone is an adult and should be the same gender as you (unless you are doing something you shouldn't be). Unless you're very lucky you won't have anything they've not seen (and visa versa).
3. The other guests. My students told me they had read tales online of freakshows wandering the corridors – not so. Everyone I saw was decently clothed (except for a pair of my towel-clad students, which I apologize for), sober and well behaved. If strange things happened while you were there I'd look to your travelling companions not the hotel.
4. The staff – the staff are at least professional and best rather lovely. There is a scary lady at the lobby entrance, but this is NYC, it's in her job description. If you get poor service my advice is to run a check on your own manners: these guys are on lower wages than they are at The Plaza, their incentive to tolerate bad manners is lower; but treat them with courtesy and they respond in kind.
5. The food is OK for snacking purposes. I'd avoid it a part of a regular diet. Go to the La Parisienne Coffee House on 7th near the Park for an excellent breakfast, or the Brooklyn Diner (212 W 57th St) for lunch (Rootbeer Float – hhhhhhhm!).
6. The place has a great location and is crazy cheap for Manhattan.
I've never seen vermin there (and I've stayed there twice). I did see a roach next to the Empire State building, by the loby of a posh office block, it was huge. But never at the YMCA.
To sum up: It looks a bit rough, it's quiet enough to sleep in, the beds are clean and comfortable, the bathrooms are communal but fine,* and the location is awesome.

* Note: I'm going to qualify that statement. The bathrooms are fine if you take a little spray bottle of bleach. They are cleaned regularly, but the other guests are not always as careful while away as they would be in their own homes. I'd also recommend a set of sucker hooks, that way you can hang all your clothes up (but then what kind of traveller doesn't take sucker hooks with them?)

Room Tip: Go for the 12th floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Wandering_Bukanin
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

You get what you pay for. This is certainly the case in this place. Staying in a room with a friend, we had prison style bunkbeds, a view of another building which backed on to the place and not a lot else.

But, it was very cheap and in a great location.

The shared bathrooms were acceptable, but on one occasion we did see a dead cockroach..not nice. I would recommend you to bring flip flops!

Room Tip: Paying the extra however much it is for an upgrade is probably worth it here!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends