4,292 results
All reviews chrysler building great location new york heavenly bed times square spg member corner room mini bar good size bryant park late check high floor two blocks street noise housekeeping staff two double beds by nyc standards
Reviewed 9 October 2012

All around wonderful experience, things I LOVED about this hotel & my stay:
- Front desk staff was so kind, welcoming (Doris or Deloris, I think) and very excited about the renovations.
- Room was GORGEOUS with an incredible view of the Chrysler Building.
- Bed was fantastically comfortable. Usually hotel pillows deflate once you lay your head down, not these. Fluffy and firm.
- Room service was 24 hours and pretty delicious. I suspect they will broaden their menu once their restaurant opens. The Room Service staff was so sweet and friendly.

The best part of the hotel was the people: The general vibe was pure happiness and desire to express superb customer service (they did!). They all seemed really proud of the hotel and just pleased to be a part of it. You could feel their excitement & it made for a really awesome stay:)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This was my first stay at this recently converted Westin. It used to be a the Helmsley Mid Town. It has been renovated (though the lobby renovations continue. The hotel was very crowded and always a line of people at the front desk. With the exception of the house maids I never got the feeling of being welcome at this hotel. Every employee was always in a hurry. The room was very comfortable with a not so nice view and dirty windows, was next to the elevator banks and you could hear the noise all night. The room was not soundproofed very well for hallway noise either.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick P
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We checked into the Westin Grand Central on the first day of its re-branded incarnation.

The check it was fast enough but we got to our rooms to find both key cards failed to open the door (not what you're hoping for after a 24 hour journey). This was quickly resolved though and we were compensated with free internet for the duration of our stay by the lovely lady on reception.

The rooms where fine, with standard amenities and a view of the Chrysler building from our room along 42nd St.

The rooms also have the bonus of having an iron and board in the cupboard.

The shower curtains are the wrong size for the bath though, so be prepared for a wet floor.

The entrance to the hotel does have a lot of building work at the moment and I presume the screened off area was being converted into a bar or restaurant. We couldn't hear the noise from our room on the 22nd floor though which was a bonus.

We checked out after six nights and again this wasn't straightforward as the billing system was down and the confused lady (not the same as the one that checked us in) went to get help and left us hanging at the desk. She came back after a few minutes and said as we're pre-paid we could leave without a check out.

Our folio was emailed to us later and the bill was correct.

Now, we chose the Westin at the last moment due to availability and price, around $500 including tax per night but there are better options in the area at the same price if you book ahead.

Would we come back to this hotel again, probably not.

Room Tip: High floor away from the current renovation noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoshMainka
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I travel a lot and stay at a lot of hotels. I recently stayed at the Westin in Melbourne, Australia, and was so impressed that when I had a choice of hotels in New York I naturally choose the Westin. I believe there are two primary aspects that define a hotel experience. The first is the comfort of the room and the second, the service.

This hotel has only just re-opened and so the rooms are nice and fresh, tastefully decorated and quite cosy. The bed is comfortable, the curtains block-out, the aircon works well and the bathroom is a reasonable size. I never like showers over the bath and I like them even less when the drainage does not work effectively. I mean seriously in a newly renovated hotel I do not expect to end my shower standing in 2 inches of water. Other than the shower, which was a big disappointment, the room is comfortable.

The service however was the most disappoint aspect of this hotel. There are lot's of staff but they all seem to be busy with something other than their customers. There was more than one occasion I sought out assistance only to be handed off to someone else that was even less interested. I will come to New York again in another month, I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Darren W
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed at the Westin this week, on 10/3 ... just two days after the change over from Helmsley to Westin. I am very excited to have a new Starwood property in this neighborhood, as it is very convenient to my office, to Grand Central and to many of the major mid-town business restaurants. It will be very convenient.

The hotel is still under a lot of work, so be prepared for noise. The rooms have been updated and were very nice, although a bit small even by New York standards: perfect for business where you won't spend a lot of time in the room, but not really something I would book for a vacation or weekend get-away. I was a little disappointed to hear so much noise from the hallways at night, assuiming that updated noise control would have been a part of the renovation. It was not bad enough that I would not stay here again, but generally have me the feeling that I was not really in a very private location. (I found myself wispering on the phone as I had concern that people in the hallway and the rooms next door could hear every word of my conversation.)

Overall, as a business hotel in this neighborhood, it's a great choice. Much newer than the tired Grand Hyatt and with so much construction, I can only assume that great things are planned for this property. I only hope the build out a nice rooftop bar like the Grand Hyatt has, as their location makes for a perfect place for such a bar. (If they don't however, and you still choose to stay here, be sure to go to the Grand Hyatt rfooftaop bar, it's spectacular.)

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor corner room, one with a Chrysler building view for the best room in the house.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business