“Wonderful weekend stay”

Ranked #72 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Charlotte, NC
“Wonderful weekend stay”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent a weekend in NYC to celebrate my niece's 16th birthday. We couldn't have been happier with our choice of Sanctuary Hotel. From the moment we entered the lobby we were impressed with the peaceful enviroment. And the staff could not have been more helpful. Special thanks to Jacob for arranging two wonderful dinners for us! My niece recieved a lovely plate of goodies and a card signed by the staff. She was thrilled. We loved our king deluxe on the 6th floor - perfection! The rainhead shower was so nice; plenty of hot water and good water pressure. A problem with cable TV was the only small hiccup of the weekend. The unique combination of location, style and superb staff makes Sanctuary our NYC hotel of choice for all our future visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan G
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Jacob will be pleased to know that you were happy with the services that he provided for you. Its comments such as yours, that motivate the staff to do even better.

We hope to see you again soon.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here for one night when my husband and I went to New York for a Broadway show. Loved every minute here! We checked in early and our room was ready. We were also told we were given an upgrade. Very nice to hear. The decor, the staff, the room, everything was perfect or near so. I was particularly impressed with the design of the room and their use of space. The shower and double sinks were part of the room, yet you could have some privacy when the curtain was pulled. Very comfortable, very New York. We have already booked a room for next year and are considering a trip much sooner. What a great find!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PKNSW16
I'm so glad that we were able to provide you with such an enjoyable stay.

Knowing that you already have plans to come back, puts a smile on all our faces. At the Sanctuary Hotel, our goal is to always provide our guests with a memorable and unique experience. I'm happy that we were able to accomplish this with you.

Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Sanctuary is a lovely little jewel box of a hotel. Fabulous location walking distance to Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, and surrounding areas. At check in you walk into a very dim, romantic lobby and bar area. All staff members I encountered were very friendly and helpful. The internet and TV were both out when we checked in so they offered us a $10 credit toward on demand movies. (Our on demand was out too, we didn't really care because we were out late but it would have been nice to use the credit. Instead they promised us a deluxe room upgrade on our next visit.) The lobby is really dim and so are the stairs (there are elevators but we were just on the 2nd floor.) I would take my mom there or my kids there, for instance, but I would recommend it to 20-40 something couples or singles.

We had a deluxe room on the second floor so view isn't amazing down there but that wasn't one of my criteria so I didn't mind although it was quite noisy that close to street level. They are in process of building out a restaurant also and we were above and to the right of that, some of the noise was from there, I believe, as men were still working at 1130p.

The room is really nicely done for a small space. There are chandeliers, dark colors, tile that look like pebble grained leather, blackout curtains that really worked, shower in the main room but it has a curtain if you were just with a friend, etc.. Only things I would change if I had a magic wand are that the bed was too soft for me even though I really like soft beds and there is a double sink; I would prefer one sink and some counter space. Also would add some more lights near the vanity, pretty tough to put makeup on in this very dim space.

Happy hour is 5-7p with a limited food menu and lots of specialty drinks. I have no idea what was on special because the waiter didn't say but we were just having simple drinks so no big deal. When we left for dinner, 2 of the employees had no clue which direction to point you to go anywhere (new, maybe?) but they grabbed someone else, a blonde gentleman, who was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Also, there is a free continental breakfast is served in the morning, 7-10ish. Skipped breakfast because it was ridiculously hot in the serving room for no apparent reason, like 85 degrees. Very strange. Staff offered to keep our bags for us when we checked out in case we were staying in the city for a while. Didn't need that but it was nice that they thought of offering.

Room Tip: get a deluxe room, we were in one and it was small so I can't imagine a standard size
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about us.

We apologize for the TV service interruptions that you experienced. Unfortunately, this was something that was not in our control. To rectify the situation, we are not going with a completely new service provider that will provide us with even more HD channels and more of the latest new movies.

In regards to your comment about the front desk staff, we do have quite a few new additions. They are in the process of training and learning about our commitment to the high standards of service we provide. I'm happy to know that Brandon (who is one of our S.T.A.R. Experience Managers) was able to assist you and offer you great suggestions.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to see you and your family back soon.

Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 April 2012

So your looking for a chic, sexy, out of the ordinary hotel? The Sanctuary is what your looking for. It's location is fab, 2 minute walk to time square or any subway station to take you anywhere your heart desires.
When you walk in the door the friendly staff makes you feel at home. The concierge can suggest restaurants, make reservations, or call a taxi or car for you. The lobby is trendy and drenched in red and black with gas fireplaces and chic sitting areas. The lobby bar is directly to the back and looked great, unfortunately I was unable to partake due to being pregnant , but Im sure it was a decent as far as lobby bars go. When we arrived up to our room, which was a deluxe king with a street view, it was very clean and comfortable. All of the rooms are small but you are in NYC, keep in mind you aren't living here. The room has a very sexy feel to it with the chandelier above the bed and the shower enclosed in glass in view of the very comfortable bed. However if you would like some privacy there is a big curtain that can be closed. The bathroom is separate from the shower and just includes the toilet and sink, very tiny but does the job. There is a " main " sink in between the shower and the bathroom. There is a nice mini bar if you choose to use it. In the morning they offer a decent continental breakfast, which is a nice perk. It is served until 10:30 am. They will also hold your bags after you check out so you can enjoy the city without having to truck your belongings behind you, all you have to do is ask.
Although this hotel is aesthically pleasing and does make you feel as if you have walked into a sanctuary after enjoying a day in the concrete jungle it does have some downfalls. Our room happened to have a clogged shower and a television that essentially did not work. The shower filled up with about 2 inches of water and took a half an hour to drain, not pleasant for the person showering after you. The TV, not that I was there to watch it but its just the point, had about 6 channels that worked. We told the front desk about our issue and were told that by the time we arrived back that evening it should be taken care of , apparently they were working on the TV. When we did arrive back that evening we were greeted by a letter that stated they could not get the TV working, now there was no channel that worked , but they would give us a $10 a night allowance to watch movies. The movies are $12.99 - $17.99. So not really doing us a big favor on that one. The next morning we discovered the shower still had the same problem. Also, one of our windows was cracked opened at the top therefore we could not shut it, too high, and so we had a little more traffic noise than we should have. For the price, $ 400 per night, those problems should not exist. I am not unrealistic, I have even worked in a hotel , I know things happen but when you are paying that much they should be resolved or you should be given another option. However, for the location in NYC that is the going rate and so one must accept these things.
Is it worth trying once? I would say so. Twice? You be the judge.

Room Tip: Deluxe King with street view is a good choice. However instead of booking through an online service...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lijahbear16
Thank you for sharing your detailed experience with us.

It is our deepest commitment to ensure that we provide each guest with a flawless and memorable stay. In this case, we failed and I would like to sincerely apologize for it.

Our front desk staff strive so hard for service excellence and it saddens them to know that we were not able to follow through with your request of fixing a clogged shower. In regards to your TV not working, we are very sorry for the disruption of service. This situation came as a surprise to us and we made every effort to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, our satellite service has been recently blocked by a newly constructed building of great height. We now have to go with a completely new service provider.

You pointed out such great things about your experience with us. Many guests such as yourself, also like the design and decor of the Sanctuary Hotel. Guests always rave about our S.T.A.R. Experience Managers (Concierge) in regards to the personalized and genuine services that they provide.

I would love for you to come back and experience the Sanctuary Hotel the way it was truly meant to be. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the near future and I would personally assist you with reservations. You can contact me by emailing jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2012

This haven, so perfectly named as the Sanctuary is probably the best hotel I've stayed in on any visit to the US and by far the best in NYC
From the moment you walk through the door you're met by the most amazing staff, they really are very genuine and friendly people, nothing fake or forced!
The lobby and bar area are that of a European boutique hotel with attention to detail which is carried out throughout the whole hotel....
It was the most pleasant check in even though we had trouble with our credit card the staff happily showed us to our room where we could access the free wifi to sort our banking! And actually it was the quickest non hassle check out also! Bonus ;-)
The room was perfect!!!! I'm very fussy and have to say I was a little concerned that the rooms might be tiny and cramped! In fact it's the opposite, perfectly designed, über chic and classy. Plenty of space for a couple. We had a queen room but from what we saw the other rooms were perfectly spacious also! It was spotless almost like brand new as if we were the 1st people ever in the room, that made a difference in my eyes, the shower was like the rainforest shower head so it was the best treat after a day walking around the city!!!
Breakfast was also amazing as I've food allergies which I notified the hotel of prior to our stay and these requirements were met from the 1st morning, the breakfast staff even knew my name haha, such lovely lovely staff... I seriously can't say enough, I could write a novel!!! The guys on the door were always smiling and happy to answer any questions, we always had a laugh with them ;-) They even arranged a really nice lady in a yellow cab to take us to the airport on a flat rate, I think her name was Patsy, she was also very friendly and sang the praises of the hotel, she said everyone who she collects from the Sanctuary is smiling and happy... We were smiling but sad to be leaving!
You have got to stay here! Top class hotel with top class staff ;-)

• Stayed March 2012