“Excellent Choice for NYC”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #70 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My girlfriend and I spent three nights at the Sanctuary after choosing it via TripAdvisor. The room was ready early (around noon), which is always a plus. The room was small but clean and inviting. Everyone there was always friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were great, and the atmosphere was very . . . hip (can't think of a different description). It was a shame that the windows in the room only faced an open shaft, so there were no views and very little natural light coming into the room. Oh well, no big deal. It was clean, quiet, and right in the middle of everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if possible.
1  Thank OrlandoPete
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2011

It's great to hear when guest of ours have a great experience when they stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

We are not perfect, but we certainly do try to make every effort in making our guests happy and we learn from our mistakes. Nothing matters more to us than having our guests leave the hotel with a overwhelming experience of service satisfaction, and with the eagerness to return soon.

Jeremy Poon

Write a ReviewReviews (4,142)

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Decidedly not a cheap place to stay, but worth every cent. Great location only a few steps from all the Broadway shows, yet super quiet. Small rooms but great decor, good beds, spacious rainfall showers and very clean.

One small drawback is that the hotel bar closes at 11pm and the breakfast buffet wasn't always sufficiently stacked. Also we would have preferred breakfast longer than 10am.

A huge compliment goes to the concierge service, in particular Brandon who went above and beyond in organizing a flight home for us after ours had been cancelled. We enjoyed another full day in NYC while he took care of the details. Thanks again!!

We definately will be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diana D

Thank you for posting a great review of us on tripadvisor.com.

Guest feedback is always important to us and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please let me know when you plan to stay with us again and I will personally make sure that you will have a later breakfast and that the bar will stay open longer.

Brandon will be happy to know about your comments.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Arrived on a Monday morning for a one night stay. My room was ready at 11:00am which was a pleasant surprise and great beginning to my day. Before I went up to my room, the Concierge, Brandon, spent about 30 minutes with me giving me taxi tips, subway directions, making dinner reservations, and mapping out the locations of the clothing stores I wanted to visit. Brandon was helpful, patient, kind and thoughtful. I felt like he would help me out during my visit, day or night, if I needed it. This was important to me since I was traveling alone and I think he understood that. Many, many thanks to you Brandon for providing exceptional customer service! Then there is Michael to thank. Michael helped me navigate back to the hotel late afternoon when I called to get directions. He stayed on the phone with me until I found the hotel and he was so happy to meet me. Michael and I talked for nearly 45 minutes. He told me about his experience growing up in Rhode Island and what brought him to NYC. Michael is another grand example of providing outstanding customer service to his guests. Thank you, Michael, for helping to make my stay at The Sanctuary an outstanding experience. By the way, the bed and pillows were ultra comfortable and the room was extremely clean. I couldn't have been happier or slept better. When I asked Michael for an iced tea, one of the hotel staff ran across the street to get me a cup. Who does that these days? Bravo to the hotelier who hired Brandon and Michael. Both gentlemen should be recognized in a meaningful way for the special way they treat their guests. They are just the kind of representatives of your hotel that you want them to be. I will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor, room 906, and the room had a window facing
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

Thank you for expressing such great feedback regarding your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

Michael and Brandon will be so happy to read about your comments. They (as well as the rest of the staff) really put forth great effort in providing our guests with the best experience possible. The goal is to always provide our guests with S.T.A.R. (Service Tailored to Any Request) service.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Knowing how hard it is to find an affordable place to stay in New York City that seems worth the money, I turned to Tripadvisor for suggestions. While The Sanctuary didn't have perfect reviews, the majority were positive (and I'm well aware some people are never happy regardless of circumstances). Overall, my fiance and I had a great experience staying on a Tuesday through Thursday during the week. The room we stayed in was a bit small (I wasn't surprised by New York standards though), but very well arranged and had everything we needed. Not much of a view from our room, but I don't expect to stare out the window much when I'm in New York. For only being a half a block away from Times Square, we were impressed with how quiet it was. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, even helping us with rather last minute arrangements for transportation back to the airport. As some other reviewers have mentioned, the breakfast was simple, but I was impressed by the fact that there was breakfast and it wasn't an additional charge (I've stayed at several really nice hotels where they don't offer anything other than maybe a restaurant or direct you to the local Starbucks). The food was good and the coffee was hot, which meets my morning standards. Free Wi-Fi in the rooms too, which is always a plus. Convenient location to Times Square and Broadway shows while not being too far of a cab ride or subway transit to other locations. Overall, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

We truly appreciate when guest take the time to write about their experience with us. Thank you for giving us such great feedback.

Our staff takes great pride in providing the best service possible for our guests and they will be happy to hear about your comments. Many guests such as yourself have made great remarks about the fact that we offer complimentary breakfast, wi-fi, and gym passes to some of the best gyms in NYC (Equinox and Sports Club LA).

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

This hotel is tastefully decorated and well situated for a visit to Manhattan. It is within walking distance of all the attractions in the upper district and a short metro or taxi ride to lower Manhattan. The staff are excellent, very helpfull with advice and well mannered. The location on 47 street is very close to Times square but at the same time quiet so sleep was not a problem. The rooms are clean and modern. I would use this hotel again no problem.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Sanctuary Hotel.

We appreciate feedback from our guests as it gives us an opportunity to continually enhance the experience here.

We hope to see you again.