“Great location, friendly staff”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #75 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The renovation was not complete at the time of our stay. I felt the lobby was a bit too dark (even for a sanctuary) but overall an edgy, Euro-modern interior. The rooms were nicely furnished with good showers. We were upgraded to the larger King room from the smallest room and the space was much better.
The desk and lobby staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is very good!

Room Tip: The smallest room is very small so try for the next one up in size.
1  Thank LIKE195
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review about us on tripadvisor.com.

All feedback from our guests, is always appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon.

Sanctuary Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (4,160)

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I was really worried when I had to pick a hotel for our trip at NY city. I heard too many stories about bed bugs and I know even if you pay bucks there is no guarantee in NY. I did a lot of research and tried out Sanctuary as I know they are newly renovated. I was impressed to get an email 1 month before our arrival enquiring if we had any special requests. I wrote back all I want is a clean room, higher floor and NO bed bugs. The manager replied nicely and gave me the assurance no bed bugs. Indeed, the stay was very pleasant. Room was clean, staff were friendly and we loved the romantic design of the room layout. My 10 year old son and my hubby enjoyed the stay, prime and central location at Times Square, just half block from subway. A very convenient location and reasonable price hotel for our first trip in New York. I'm a very picky person but I must say I highly recommend Sanctuary hotel for anyone who want to stay at a prime and clean location at NY City for an affordable price.

3  Thank Alice T
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about us on tripadvisor.com.

Contacting the guests prior to arrival is very important to us. It gives us a better understanding of what our guests would like and gives us an opportunity to personalized their stay.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

very nice place, good location. Only issues I had was that the AC vent blows directly on the pillow end of bed in a small room, but maybe there is something they can do about it. Housekeeping kept shorting us on washcloths (1 for 2 people?) All in all, a nice place to stay. The reduced price due to the 'soft opening' is appropriate; no items in courtesy frig, no restaurant, no exercise facilities (they give you passes to some great health clubs that are close by). Overall, I would stay here again.

I look forward to returning.

1  Thank samher110258
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Thank you for your feedback about the Sanctuary Hotel.

We will have our engineer team take a look at A/C vent issue that you brought up. We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

This hotel is amazing from the time you arrive, until you check out!!!!!! I have never stayed at a hotel where EVERY EMPLOYEE was friendly, helpful, fun, etc. They love their jobs! I cannot remember everyone's names (sorry), but Julio and Lenny warm my heart -just amazing staff! OK......the hotel was very trendy and decorated beautifully. It is small, but that adds to the charm. It was clean and inviting. The location is perfect! Quiet at night and a nice walk to many places! The only disappointment was when I booked our room, it said I would be receiving a free upgrade - it did not say "if available." However, when we checked in, there were no upgraded rooms available. Sort of disappointed, (who doesn't enjoy an upgrade), but again, the hotel is fantastic. Do yourself a favor and stay here on your next NYC trip!!!!!!!

1  Thank Zildjian12

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about us on tripadvisor.com.

The staff will be so happy to see such great comments about them, especially Lenny and Julio. We place so much effort in creating an environment that gives our guest a feeling of "home away from home". It's nice to know that our guests are happy with the effort.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

This was a trip to take my granddaughter to NYC to go shopping. The hotel is located in a great area, close to the tour buses and teenage shops. The room was brand new and on the 6th floor with construction on the floor but a wonderful room. Of course, we faced a brick wall from our window but in NYC that's what you expect. We appreciated the room "fridge" to store our leftover pizza and water bottles. You should book a king-size bed instead of a queen-size bed for maximum comfort unless you're not with your granddaughter.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Thank you for your review of us on tripadvisor.com

I am happy that you and your granddaughter enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.