“Great Stay and Clean Rooms”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #336 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We really likes this hotel for its location to midtown and Bloomingdales. The room was modern, clean and even quiet for NYC. We didn't spend much time in the lobby or eating any food from the restaurant/bar but we found the staff here quite friendly. The housekeeping dept. kept the room nice and clean and I LOVED the fluffy towels. THe bed was average (my back ached a little because I sleep on an extra firm mattress at home) Overall, I would reccomend to anyone traveling to New York to see all the sights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Thank you so much for a great review! We are so glad you able to take advantage of the great location of our hotel!

We hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,011)

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I can stay in many hotels in NYC, but I decided to return to this property after 3 years away. Marilyn at the front desk remembered me and placed me on a high floor and took great care of me. The hotel lobby is a bustling place in a busy part of the city. Plenty of restaurants and bars everywhere. And a short walk to all the shopping oh 5 th ave. besides the great cookies, diamond members get a breakfast and Internet. Can't wait to return in February. Thanks again, Marilyn!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Thank you so much for a great review! I am so glad you had such a wonderful stay!

See you on your return trip!

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed at the doubletree for 6 nights and paid approx $325 a night for 2 double beds. This is my 6th visit to New York.

I will start with my first impressions of the Doubletree Metropolitan which is a friendly welcome outside of the hotel by the door staff, then when we checked in we were ' welcomed' to the doubletree by the receptionist however this was done with no smile what so ever. The receptionist made no small talk such as how was your flight? or told us any hotel information about wifi etc only what room/floor we were on.

I believe that when you check-in you are to be given a choice of water or a cookie, we were not given this option and was given the cookie.
I requested a room on a high floor on my booking reservation however I was given a room on the 3rd floor. When I asked for another on a higher floor I was given the 11th which was appreciated however my 'special request' for a higher floor was clearly never even looked at.

We was pleased with the room size it was very spacious and clean. We had 2 doublebeds and they were very comfortable. Bathroom was a reasonable/ average size for NY standards but didn't appear to have had been refurbished.
I believe the whole hotel has recently had a refurb but I wouldn't say I noticed in the room it just looked like average decore.
On entering our room it was exceptionally cold, we had attempted to follow the instructions given to increase the room temperature however found this to be complicated so I called and asked for the maintenance to come to the room to assist us.
3 phone calls to the care line, 1 visit to reception and over a 2 hours wait we finally had the maintenance in our room and told us how to work it. The instructions to use it are incorrect without the maintenance guy showing us we would have never had figured it out. Having to wait 2 hours and make 3 phone calls AND a trip to reception was unacceptable, in other hotels I have never had to wait longer than 20mins for assistance and given this is not a particularly large hotel in comparison with others I am not sure why I was waiting so long?

Each day the housekeeping staff said good morning and were always very friendly. They also did a great job each day maintaining the cleanliness of our room. They are a credit to the hotel so much more than the reception staff in my personal experience.
The staff in the lobby would also wish us a good morning however the reception staff did not and any interactions we had with them were not done in a welcoming or friendly way.

Our room key stopped working twice on our stay; I believe this to be an issue with the hotel, an issue which has not yet to be rectified. On both occasions when getting a new key card from reception there was no apology given either time and on one occasion I found the receptionist to be quite rude when showing her my key card and room number instead of apologising for the key not working and asking for ID she simply said ' well I don't know who you are I've never seen you before as I didn't check you in so I will need to see identification'

It comes up time and time again on here, there is no tea/coffee maker in the room which is crazy in this day and for the price you pay for this hotel it is expected and totally unacceptable not to have them. Even if they compromised and instead of in the rooms had tea and coffee available for guests in reception each morning so you could at least come down and bring a coffee up to your room, but nope nothing!
I asked one of the staff why there was no tea/coffee maker and was informed it was due to the time and upkeep which for the price guests pay, size of hotel and for the 4star it has ( also being a part of the Hilton chain) is a pathetic excuse! To save money more like....... so much for the customer comes first.

Finally I was aware that to check bags on check-out they charge $1 a bag/case however what I was not aware of was that it is $1 to check-in each bag and then another $1 each when picking bag up. So for 3 hours we had left our bags at hotel before returning and leaving for the airport and the total cost of this was $12.

The hotel is well located and in a really lovely area of NY however at the price they are charging there are other hotels in the area which for the same price or less you would get more for your money or if you manage to get a good deal much less than what we paid which was $325 a night.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay! I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I will be sure to forward all of your comments onto the appropriate departments for further review.

We hope you will stay with us again soon on your next trip to NYC!

Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Fantastic location! The rooms are small and dark, but well appointed and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again in the future. You just can't beat the location for the price.

• Stayed: December 2012
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you so much for a great review! We hope to see you again soon for another great stay!

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Yes, it's New York, but there must be better choices for this price. Clean facility, but shows its age. Judging from the crude repair job, my door had been broken into previously. Small room, barely able to pass between the foot of the bed and the wall mounted flatscreen. No coffeepot in room. Only phone is on the desk,not on the nightstand. No shampoo among the toiletries; any noise in the hall came right through the wall. The only positives were great front desk staff and a very good continental breakfast from room service for $21.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We want all of our guests to have a great stay and I regret to see your experience was anything other than that.

We hope you will visit us again soon for a stay that will surely exceed your expectations!