“Nice and professional employees”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #334 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I am here on business during the busiest time of the year. I just wanted to write how nice the hotel is. Most of all to thank the fellow employee. This hotel is very clean and decorated with average decor. The service at this hotel is top notch. Front desk agent, Taryn, was very professional and courteous. she was able to help me get my hilton card number with couple of clicks. She even offeedr to pay for my stay...just kidding. I would stay here...most definitely.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John L
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! We are so glad you had an enjoyable time! We hope you see you back soon for another memorable stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We booked the hotel on the basis of price and Trip Advisor reviews. After many hours on Trip Advisor we concluded that hotel rooms in New York would be small and expensive. Once we got over this we were happy with our choice.

We had asked for a quiet room on our booking and were happy to find this was the case. Our room was away from the road and allowed us to look into the apartments opposite! This didn’t worry us as we wanted to be able to sleep well so we could enjoy the city. The check in was quick and efficient and we enjoyed our welcome cookies!

The room itself was not as small as we expected after reading the reviews on a number of New York hotels; we had a smaller room in San Francisco last year! We had a king size bed, a large flat screen TV, a desk and a chest of drawers. The bathroom was quite tight, though that didn’t cause too much of a problem for us. The room was clean and made up every day. We did hear a small amount of noise outside the room once or twice, but it did not bother us.

The hotel is on Lexington and probably about a 10 minute walk to Grand Central Station. There is a subway station about 50 yards from the front door as well which makes travel very easy.

We spoke to the concierge once or twice and found some of the staff more knowledgeable than others. We had breakfast at the place next door to the entrance - we found it a bit expensive, though very convenient for the hotel. We didn't eat in the hotel, so we couldn't comment on that.

Overall, a good choice in a useful location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! We are so glad you had an enjoyable time! We hope to see you again soon for another memorable experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

As a Hilton Diamond member and a frequent traveler, I have to say I was a bit disappointed with this property. I stayed for four nights on business. I would rate it a 3.5. As always, the pros and cons are listed below:

PROS
1. Very good location, right next to the subway, seven blocks from Grand Central Station, 20 minute walk to Times Square and the Theater District. Also, several local restaurants (think reasonable) in the surrounding blocks.

2. Surprisingly quiet. I had requested a quiet room and received an inside room on the 16th floor. Never heard a sound and I am a light sleeper.

3. Free breakfast. This is neither a pro or a con. It seemed like everyone in the hotel received the same free continental breakfast. It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible, but it was satisfactory. You could upgrade to eggs and bacon for $8.00 more.

4. Nice gym, however there was a much nice 24 Hour Fitness two blocks away that I used daily.

5. Train from JFK stops three blocks from hotel, bus to Newark is an eight block walk. Very efficient and lot cheaper than the cabs.

CONS

1. Staff, not pleasant. Gentleman who checked me in was nice, but most of the staff while not rude were cold.

2. Room, while quiet, was very small. For one individual, no problem, two or more would have been crowded. I did see some other rooms that were larger than mine, but they faced out towards the street.

3. Didn't seem to matter that I was a Hilton Diamond member. I did not press this point, but I didn't get the impression they would have cared.

4. When I checked in I was given a coupon for $5 off in the bar, but it had to be stamped at another desk which was a pitch for a Hilton Time Share. Really!

5. No coffee or hot water maker in the room. Really, in this day and age. I was told I could order room service. Of course I got around this by going to the gym each night and getting a cup of hot water out of the water cooler.

I stayed at the Marriott two block away for my fifth night (to take advantage of a Marriott promotion) and I thought it was a much nicer property.

Cheers.

Marius

Room Tip: Inside rooms don't have views but are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Marius40
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel! I will be sure to pass this information onto the appropriate departments for further review. We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible while they are here and I sincerely apologize that you did not experience that! We truly value your Hilton Honors Diamond status, and regret that you did not get recognized properly.

We hope to see you back soon for an experience that exceeds your expectations!

Reviewed 22 September 2012

This hotel is mediocre at best.

Pros:
Location
Quiet Rooms
Cons:
Hard to get help - TV was broken and it took them a day to come by and that was because i pestered them. The careline was always busy, I called housekeeping when i needed help.

Wont go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BrianSip

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel! I will be sure to pass this information onto the engineering department for further review. We want all of our guests to have th ebest stay possible while they are here and I sincerely apologize that you did not experience that!

We hope to see you back soon for an experience that exceeds your expectations!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Very nice hotel. Clean, and quiet. We had a view of the Chrysler building which was lovely. We stayed 4th of July and got an excellent rate...The room was surprisingly spacious for NY. Really nothing bad to say. Loved the location as well. bet. 51st and 52nd street on Lex. Very close to busses and trains. Very friendly staff. Concierge service also.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple