“A ver good midtown Manglhattan choice”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #127 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Spending 4 nights in this hotel at beginning of round the world trip. Found the location unbeatable and price good. Staff have all been very helpful ie. blown light bulb replaced immediately and more coffee capsules arrived speedily so would recommend this small hotel. Other reviewers have commented about the lifts/elevators. In January this has been no problem, so no long waits. Others have mentioned breakfast which, I would agree, could do with a little improvement. It would be nice to have healthier choice cereals for example and a wider choice of fruit. The staff there have been fine, no rudeness but we did find the tip voucher a little strange.

My only criticism of the place is that it does look a little tired and dark. The whole decor needs subtle lifting, both the lobby and rooms. Ours was a good size, as was the bathroom so good comfort feeling here but I did want to take the decor by the scruff of its neck! It deserves it ....

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Langalenie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed 24 January 2012

This hotel exceeds all expectations. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. Location, Location, Location. Half a block from subway. What more can you ask for.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This is really pretty picky to mention, but the elevator service in the hotel is really a bit of a problem. During our visit, only one elevator was operating most of the time. You really had to add an extra 10 minutes to any planned meeting times!

Elevators aside, The Blakely is outstanding. Spacious, comfortable rooms, well decorated and comfortably appointed; modern plumbing and bathrooms; free wifi internet access with really good bandwidth; breakfast included; wonderful Midtown location on (by Manhattan standards) a quiet street. Back in the "picky" department, the bath towels will soft and fluffy could have been a bit larger.

The staff was universally thoughtful, responsive and available. I had left my iPhone in my room when I checked out. By the time reached the ground floor and before I had missed it, housekeeping had found it, called the front desk and brought it to me!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hct1948
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My sister and I stayed here for one evening during a girls' trip to NYC. This is my second stay in this hotel and it was everything I remembered it from the first visit (about 2 years ago). The staff is very accommodating and very helpful with any requests or questions. We were upgraded to a suite due to a promotion. The bathroom was upscale and luxurious.

Complimentary breakfast was great. And the hotel also has free wifi.

A couple of con's, but it wasn't enough for me to demote a rating point:

Thermostat was truly controlled by the hotel, not the individual rooms. We couldn't get the temp above 68-ish, but it was warm enough.

Only one elevator was in working order, but it really didn't affect us any.

No extra blankets in the room, but I'm sure they would have brought us some if we requested.

And of course the most attractive feature about the hotel is the LOCATION! Walking distance to/from Grand Central. Couple blocks from Central Park and the great shopping on 5th Ave. We walked to dinner, a show and back to the hotel. Great overall stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jennypenny12
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here with my husband in Dec 2011. I liked the hotel for its location and cleanliness (room was small, but that's NYC). My husband wasn't as impressed as the elevators were too few and always busy. I'd stay again, but he wouldn't.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple