All reviews upper east side bemelmans bar elevator operator elevator attendants central park tower room new york madison avenue hardwood floors iconic hotel room service luxury hotel home away from home living room four seasons higher floor few blocks
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I chose this hotel because of its location and its reputation for elegance and sophistication. It did not disappoint. The service was top-notch and the rooms large and luxurious. If you are looking for a wonderful romantic getaway, this is the place.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 238Michelle68
Anthony M, Managing Director at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear 238Michelle68,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are delighted to know that our location was well-suited to your needs while in the city. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We so enjoy going to Cafe Carlyle whenever ee visit New York.

As ever, dinner was excellent and service was very good. My husband and I shared a foie gras terrine which was excellent and then we both chose the classic sole meneuiere for our entrees.

I was really looking forward to hearing Judy Collins perform the Cafe Carlyle show and I must say that I had hoped she would play more of her own music. She played only two of her own pieces. She played a preponderance of Sondheim pieces which was interesting but not the Judy Collins show I had hoped for.

Her final song was Send in the Clowns, so thank goodness she sang that as a closing piece.

Judy Collins is 79 years old... God bless her that she is still singing. I just wish we were hearing her classic music of her past and our memories.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2beans2000

Dear 2beans2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback on your experience with us as well as fellow travelers! Thank you for spending the evening with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We very much enjoyed our stay at The Carlyle. Our suite was very comfortable and well-maintained by the house-keeping staff. Some of the furnishings though are rather shabby and in need of replacement as were some of the drapes. I expect better from a hotel of The Carlyle's quality and reputation. While the temperature in our suite was perfectly comfortable, the A/C control pads were at best poorly responsive and I'm doubtful that either was functioning properly

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank bdsaly
Anthony M, Managing Director at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear bdsaly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay overall and certainly apologize for any frustration related to the HVAC in your accommodations. We are in the process of updating our systems throughout the hotel and hope to welcome you back again once it is complete! Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Booked a deluxe suite for two nights, reserved through an agency that is a Rosewood preferred partner, guaranteeing upgrade upon booking. Hindsight, wish they just directed me to another 5 star property that truly provides five star services and maintain the entire room portfolio as such.

Checked in on 76th Street. Driver removed bags from vehicles. No doorman or bell staff was present. Driver went into the property to recruit assistance. Check in seamless and elevator staff consistently personable and engaging. "Deluxe" suite was anything but. Room was in dire need of renovation with dated furniture, inoperable and ill secured window treatments, exposed wiring in baseboards, peeling wall paint, etc. Contacted the front desk for a room change. Staff was very accommodating. However rooms offered were of the same condition. While we did change the room as one offered was significantly larger. there was nothing luxurious, riddled with the same concerns noted above but now later to be discovered with a corner of the shower filled with black mold. Daytime housekeeping staff was professional, housekeeping staff during turndown quite unimpressive. Late diners, housekeeper was anxious to just provide waters and ask" you are all set, right" with no offer to return even after informing her we had dinner reservations at 9pm.

Room service food was average, arriving hot. Breakfast room service waiter was wonderful. Night room service needed some professional training, lackadaisical in nature with no semblance of professionalism.

Upon check-out, porter was prompt. Met him in lobby, provided him with a gratuity and I was informed the luggage was loaded in the car to the left of exit by the doorman. Upon exit, there was once again no staff, no vehicle but there was one piece of our luggage sitting on the sidewalk with the shoppings bags hung over the extended handle.

Rosewood markets themselves as a top luxury brand, known for service and well appointed interiors. This is now the second time the brand has fell far short of that goal, the first being our visit to the newly opened property in London. This client is going to stick with Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental going forward........

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank pitch328
Anthony M, Managing Director at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear pitch328,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed and thoughtful feedback with us as well as fellow travelers. While our intention is to provide all our guests with a world-class experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from most and utilize in order to improve. It's apparent in this case that we fell short of providing you the kind of service we work hard to deliver on a daily basis. It is important for us to do what we can to make amends for your visit and hopefully create an opportunity to welcome you back for a better stay. If you would like to discuss your time at The Carlyle further, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Hotel Manager, Massimiliano Puglisi, directly at Massimiliano.Puglisi@Rosewoodhotels.com. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

I stayed at the Carlyle for three nights last weekend. I was upgraded to a suite because my room wasn't ready when I arrived. Higher floor facing east so the view was of rooftops, but the suite itself was large, comfortable, and clean. The minibar was stocked with things I liked, they kept bottles of water on each nightstand and the toiletries were Keihl's, which is what I normally use.

Service was flawless. From the prompt elevator operators and bellmen to the friendly front desk staff, every request was fulfilled immediately. When I was concerned about my suitcase being overweight for my flight, they promptly brought out a scale to confirm.

On this visit, I had breakfast in the restaurant, drinks at Bemelmans, and tea in the Gallery. (I've been to the Cafe Carlyle several times in the past but not on this trip, as much as I would have liked to see Lena Hall.) The restaurant and Gallery were quiet and relaxing even though there were a lot of guests. The breakfast buffet is terrific and my friend who's a tea aficionado was very pleased with the extensive selection available.

I know the hotel's history and the long list of important people who have stayed here, and I can see why. You feel like you're home.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear mapleleaves8,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel and your experience! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. It was our pleasure to welcome you and a delight to read your kind feedback! We hope to see you again very soon. Wishing you all the best!