All reviews upper east side bemelmans bar elevator operator elevator attendants central park tower room new york madison avenue hardwood floors iconic hotel elevator service luxury hotel home away from home four seasons living room public areas great shopping
Reviewed 17 October 2017

An old tired hotel that needs to be completely redone. Shabby chic is not desirable ina hotel. It’s just shabby and needs repairing and a complete makeover. Spend the money. Charging 1000for a,n inferior room is gauging the guests.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Rosewood Hotels & Resorts
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Dear T850QCloris,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are disappointed to hear that your experience was not up to the standards to which we hold ourselves at The Carlyle. We have taken your notes to our upper levels of management as this some of the most important feedback we receive. Again, we appreciate your time and apologize for your visit. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future after our property under goes a restoration and provide you with a much better stay. Wishing you all the best.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Checkin was slow, only one person working the counter. I had tight dinner reservations and was coming to check-in directly following a red eye and then the office. I had to wait several minutes while the desk bantered with other customers making idle chit chat. In addition, there was no acknowledgment from the counter that I was even present - no "Just a moment sir", no eye contact. Nothing.

At 8:45 am the following morning, loud jack hammering and drilling started through my floor and wall. I immediately called the front desk, who immediately forwarded me to the manager on duty, who said that there was renovations happening on the gallery below. No offer to look into the issue or change rooms.

Not acceptable at 8:45, it continued through 10 am. I was unable to get a good night's rest after my red eye flight the day prior.

I left this precise feedback verbally at the desk on checkout. An apology was offered, but nothing further.

Booked through Amex Fine Hotels.

Not Rosewood quality at all.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Justin H

Dear Justin H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I have always wanted to stay at the Carlyle. It did not disappoint Located in one of the best Manhattan neighbourhoods it draws worldwide guests and locals The rooms are comfortable and range from Traditional to Modern in decor From the welcoming reception staff to the elevator operators you are made to feel at home Bemelmans is a great place for a drink and a meal. This hotel fulfills and exceed expectations

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank William M
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear William M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as well as fellow travelers! We are absolutely thrilled to know that your long awaited visit to The Carlyle not only met, but exceeded expectations. That is the kind of feedback we are so grateful to receive! Further, we are delighted to hear that our location and your accommodations were well-suited to your needs. Moreover, that your interactions with our staff were warm and inviting. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.
Wishing you a wonderful fall season!

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Having visited the Carlyle in the past, and being familiar with some of the great hotels of the world, I was looking forward to my recent stay there. My enthusiasm was misplaced. The rooms are extremely tired for the most part - and believe me, I know because I had the misfortune to experience several.

More disappointing was the abominable service. With one or two exceptions, the service was slow, indolent, and disinterested. When I first had to change rooms late one evening, it took over an hour for the porter to arrive to move the luggage. When he did arrive he hadn't brought a trolley. When eventually the move was made, a number of possessions were left behind. When this was discovered, not all of them made it back to me and I left New York in the unusual situation of having a suitcase that was lighter than when I arrived!

Even simple tasks like cleaning the room or replenishing supplies were not carried out efficiently, effectively or sometimes at all. Please, don't be wowed by the illustrious name of this once-great hotel. There are many places to stay in New York City. I have no doubt that most of them will be better than this dive.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank p1nkyandperky
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear p1nkyandperky,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us as well as fellow travelers.
Although we are disappointed to read about your experience, it is feedback like this that we find most beneficial for improvement. We have been in touch with the appropriate departments to look into your notes further, as it does sound like the level of service you encountered was not at all up the standard to which we hold ourselves at The Carlyle. If you would be open to sharing more, we would very much welcome the chance to speak with you. Our Director of Rooms, Paulina Padilla, would appreciate the opportunity to make amends for what sounds like a visit full of frustrations. She can be best reached via email at Paulina.Padilla@Rosewoodhotels.com.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future for a better experience. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I live in NYC and arranged for my family visiting from out of the country to stay at the Carlyle. I booked and paid for the room online and followed up with a call indicating that they would need an extra bed brought in for their young daughter. That evening my family arrived and they did not have the extra bed. I called the hotel and they wouldn't send a bed to the room without extra payment, and said they were not permitted to take payment over the phone. They refused to send the extra bed to the room (and it was past 11 pm). It was unbelievable. I have never had such poor service, and would have thought that i was at a holiday inn rather than a luxury hotel. I would not choose to stay or arrange anyone else to stay at this hotel again. Terrible.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank monicakarora

Dear Monicakarora,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, we can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. If you would like to share more feedback about your stay, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly at TheCarlyle@Roswoodhotels.com. We would be happy to hear from you. Wishing you all the best!