“Incredibly disappointing - stay elsewhere”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #292 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Having visited the Carlyle in the past, and being familiar with some of the great hotels of the world, I was looking forward to my recent stay there. My enthusiasm was misplaced. The rooms are extremely tired for the most part - and believe me, I know because I had the misfortune to experience several.

More disappointing was the abominable service. With one or two exceptions, the service was slow, indolent, and disinterested. When I first had to change rooms late one evening, it took over an hour for the porter to arrive to move the luggage. When he did arrive he hadn't brought a trolley. When eventually the move was made, a number of possessions were left behind. When this was discovered, not all of them made it back to me and I left New York in the unusual situation of having a suitcase that was lighter than when I arrived!

Even simple tasks like cleaning the room or replenishing supplies were not carried out efficiently, effectively or sometimes at all. Please, don't be wowed by the illustrious name of this once-great hotel. There are many places to stay in New York City. I have no doubt that most of them will be better than this dive.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank p1nkyandperky
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear p1nkyandperky,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us as well as fellow travelers.
Although we are disappointed to read about your experience, it is feedback like this that we find most beneficial for improvement. We have been in touch with the appropriate departments to look into your notes further, as it does sound like the level of service you encountered was not at all up the standard to which we hold ourselves at The Carlyle. If you would be open to sharing more, we would very much welcome the chance to speak with you. Our Director of Rooms, Paulina Padilla, would appreciate the opportunity to make amends for what sounds like a visit full of frustrations. She can be best reached via email at Paulina.Padilla@Rosewoodhotels.com.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future for a better experience. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 20 September 2017

I live in NYC and arranged for my family visiting from out of the country to stay at the Carlyle. I booked and paid for the room online and followed up with a call indicating that they would need an extra bed brought in for their young daughter. That evening my family arrived and they did not have the extra bed. I called the hotel and they wouldn't send a bed to the room without extra payment, and said they were not permitted to take payment over the phone. They refused to send the extra bed to the room (and it was past 11 pm). It was unbelievable. I have never had such poor service, and would have thought that i was at a holiday inn rather than a luxury hotel. I would not choose to stay or arrange anyone else to stay at this hotel again. Terrible.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank monicakarora
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Monicakarora,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, we can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. If you would like to share more feedback about your stay, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly at TheCarlyle@Roswoodhotels.com. We would be happy to hear from you. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

We spent 5 amazing days at the hotel. We received amazing service, probably the best we have ever had. The morning buffet was truly amazing and everything was plentiful and delicious. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite on arrival for free.
I cannot wait to go there again soon. It is worth every penny.
The toiletries were Kiehl's and included a facial moisturiser and lip balm which were full sizes. I am very pleasantly surprised and can't wait to go there again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear Nora D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your phenomenal review with us as well as fellow travelers! We are delighted to know that everything from your interactions with our staff, to the breakfast offerings each morning, exceeded your expectations. It was our pleasure to have you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

I have stayed in the hotel in June 2017. My feelings are mixed about this hotel. On the one hand it takes you back in the old times because it has kept its character -i.e. in each elevator there is a doorman who is dressed with black suite and white gloves and is taking you to the floor, the jazz bar is just amazing like the old times. The rooms are old, the floor the doors and the drawers are very old. It is a basic old bedroom. On the other hand the service is excellent. I must admit that the personell made me feel very comfortable even when i asked them to take me to a nwer room. The newer room was not really renovated but better than the previous one. If i remember correctly there is no gym. I wouldnt stay there again but i would definetly go again to the jazz bar and the
restaurant. The food in the restaurant is really good,. Also breakfast is really amazing, If you like spacious and modern rooms dont stay there. P.S. The location is in a nice neighbarhood of New York just two blocks from central park.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorldtravelerCyprus

Dear WorldtravelerCyprus,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us as well as fellow travelers! We are delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed the service you received as well as your time at the Carlyle Restaurant and in Cafe Carlyle. Additionally, we are so glad that our location was well-suited to your needs! Your feedback is very helpful to us and we apologize that your accommodations did not meet expectations. It is feedback like this that we utilize to improve. To your note about the gym, that is located on our 3rd Floor in the Sisley-Paris Spa and open to hotel guests 24 hours a day. We will be certain that our Front Desk team is more clearly communicating that to guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for a better experience in the future. If not for a stay, we do hope you will join us again at the Cafe. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I was surprised as to how large our room was. The lobby and entrance were beautiful. Staff were all very friendly. Good location on the upper east side. Close to the park and great shopping close by. Highly recommend!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Massimiliano P, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Vancity9,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us as well as fellow travelers! We're so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time at The Carlyle so thoroughly and that our location was well-suited to your needs. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future. Wishing you all the best!