“At last, a NY hotel I would go back to”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #40 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“At last, a NY hotel I would go back to”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed three nights at The Iroquois last week, on a business trip. Although on my own, I had one of the biggest NY hotel rooms I've stayed in - I could actually walk around it without bumping into furniture. Flat screen TV, complimentary half bottle of wine, water, truffles (sign up for their executive program - it's free), and NY Times in the morning, free Wi-Fi. Huge bathroom, totally modern, with lovely tiles, Molton Brown goodies, and lots of fluffy white towels. The room was the super quiet - I never heard anyone next door, above or below. And the bed and pillows were just right. Nice desk area for working, a decent sized closet. OK, my view was of the fire escape, but that's pretty much all you get in NY, so I'm fine with that. If I want a view, I can go out into the street! I ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was fine - although I'd like a stronger cup of coffee and less salt in my eggs. The first night I had a drink in the restaurant bar and had the best Cosmo I've had in years. The staff are all super helpful and polite, with one possible exception - a group of us was in the front 'Library' room having a meeting and were told very abruptly and with no warning that we all had to move immediately as they had to set up for a dinner. It was 4pm, so we were herded into the restaurant bar, where all the employees seemed to make as much noise as they could. I'd assumed the 'Libary' was a public room as it had computers in it - and it was empty when we walked in. Aside from that one issue, it was a great stay. And I'd definitely put it high on my list for a return trip. Super convenient location, far enough from Time Square not to be bothered by the noise, but close enough to all the things I needed to get to.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor at the back, I think it was 907
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would be happy to return. It is very rewarding to hear such kind words and I do apologize for the incident with the library, at times we do host private dinners in that space, however it is certainly unfortunate that you felt herded away and I do apologize for that, as I am certain that was not the intention of the staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future! -Kelli Phillips, Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

As first time visitors to New York we wanted a mid-priced hotel with a central location and a traditional feel as opposed to the shiny granite and glass types. The Iroquois was it. Fantastic location - close to the sights and shops while nestled in a relatively quiet street full of hotels, clubs and restaurants. Decor is traditional but in good order.
The hotel has just 12 floors, (a cottage by NY standards) and we were on the top floor. The room was fairly small but quite clean & comfortable. Complimentary newspaper and free Wi-Fi was great plus an iPod docking station was available too. No tea or coffee making facilities but free coffee or hot apple punch available in the lobby. NY is known as the city that never sleeps and that sure is true. Even on the 12th floor there was an ever-present drone in the background. Bed was very comfortable though so not complaining.
Whatever your taste there is a bar or restaurant nearby to suit you. For breakfast, the Red Flame Diner offers great value in a classic setting, perfect for people watching and just 20yds from the hotel.
And so to the best bit - the hotel staff. Everyone at the Iroquois was extremely friendly, helpful and efficient. Special mentions go to Alan the concierge plus Bill and Anwar in the lobby who's attentiveness could not be faulted. Altogether a really nice bunch of people.
If we ever get back to New York we would certainly look to stay at the Iroquois again - thanks to all for making our stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for you kind compliments, our staff is flattered and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again on a future trip! -Kelli Phillips, Assistant Front Office Manager
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Iroquois from Feb 17th to 23rd. Luckily, we contacted the hotel reservations beforehand and ended up choosing a suite (one of 12 only). So the room was of a good size, though the bathroom still required some exercise - it is not easy for two people to fit in it at the same time. NYC was not so cold when we were there, and it was good as the small bathroom window did let the cold air in. It was not insulated. The staff made an effort to help us w/ our requests, including complimentary tea on Sunday, when the hotel restaurants are closed. In the last day, we asked for a late check-out for which we paid about USD 140.00 and had to change rooms. Then we were given the opportunity to assess how lucky we had been w/ our suite choice. The room we moved to was next to the gym and it is tiny! I suspect all the rooms in that corner are the same size. No minibar as it would not fit in, the window opens to the emergency stairs outside and our oversized luggage did not make its way between the bed and the chest. It had to be lifted to be placed into the closet. The closed was slightly bigger than the tiny one in the suite, though, and although the bathroom did not have a separate shower and bath tub, it was almost the same size as the suite bathroom. Good location, specially if you intend to go to theaters.

Room Tip: The room next to the gym and the ones above this one are good enough if you are solo. If you do requ...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RHOM
IroquoisFrontDesk, Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience, we are always thankful for such feedback from our guests, as it is such a great tool to better our hotel as well as our service. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our Suite and I hope that you join us again! Warm Regards, Kelli Phillips Assistant Front Office Manager
new england
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I just completed another two night stay and honestly, I don't see a reason to stay anywhere else in the city. It's centrally located, always clean/friendly/quiet. I had a room on 12th floor and it was very quiet which is my preference. I don't usually care about the view so these rooms work for me. I find the rooms to be a bit bigger than standard NYC hotel rooms and if you join their frequent guest program, they leave you little treats like slippers. I really enjoy my stays at Iroquois and look forward to the next one!

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank puff007NewEngland
IroquoisFrontDesk, Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
I'm so happy to hear that you chose to stay with us again and we were able to provide you with the service you have come to expect from our hotel. We hope to see you again soon! Warm Regards, Kelli Phillips Assistant Front Office Manager
Lackawaxen, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at the hotel 2 nights and rented 2 rooms. The service from top to bottom was great! Friendly staff. The rooms were elegant and extremely clean.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill M
Thank you for your compliments! I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to provide you, not only with a comfortable room, but exception service. Thank you for sharing! Warm Regards, Kelli Phillips Assistant Front Office Manager