“Best kept secret in lower Manhattan Great value for money”

Washington Square Hotel
Ranked #146 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Bangkok, Thailand
“Best kept secret in lower Manhattan Great value for money”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I shouldnt be writing this as its my well kept little secret.. This is a great value for money hotel Its not a five star experience but the rooms are bigger than most in NYC and quite adequate for a short stay, long weekend etc What makes it is the amoshpere, friendly staff two restaurants and bars and amazing location opposite Washington Square and close to literally scores of restaurants and bars, clubs etc and a block away from the metro for going quickly uptown

Room Tip: Upper floors five and above and at the back of the hotel ae quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tonsberg, Norway
Reviewed 31 May 2012

First time my wife and I stayed at this was hotel was in 2010, and our experience was so positive that when we went back to NYC in May 2012, we decided to stay at Washing Square Hotel again.
Nice and spacy rooms, if you pay a few dollars more you get a view to the Square, room cleaning excellent and very friendly staff. In the hotel basement you have the North Square restaurant, a delightful restaurant whether you're having breakfast, lunch or dinner. There's also a nice bar just behind the reception.
The location is perfect for exploring lower Manhattan where you'll find many interesting places and areas, wiuth an abundance of small cafes, restaurants and shops of every kind.
Just a short walk to the NY Metro which brings you "anywhere" in no time. Much better than hailing a taxi who which has to fight the heavy traffic in the streets and avenys of NYC...

Room Tip: As mentioned, be willing to spend a few more dollars to get a Deluxe room with park or city view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SignarI
Alabama
Reviewed 30 May 2012

During past visits to the city, I've always stayed in the theatre district, as seeing shows is the major reason I go to NY. This time I decided to stay a bit further downtown to experience a different neighborhood. I chose WSH because I liked the deco style and prices were reasonable for a Memorial Day weekend. I have a mixed review of the hotel. Decor is nice, hotel is clean, but rooms are _very_small, even for NYC. The continental breakfast is truly minimal...and the toaster malfunctioned and burned a slice of bread to a crisp my first morning. Coffeemaker in my room stopped working the second day, and the ceiling of the shower began leaking on the morning I checked out. Staff were friendly, and the young woman at the front desk was gracious enough to use her computer to check me in to my flight and print a boarding pass for me the morning I left. Maid service was good, too. I did not see a lot of good restaurants in the neighborhood, and you should avoid the Waverly Place Restaurant at all costs---or at least avoid the chicken if you eat there. Oh, and I had to constantly (or so it seemed) sign back in to the wi-fi...registering once wasn't enough.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed for 3 nights & loved the WSH. We had a deluxe exterior twin which, tho cozy, was comfy, impeccably clean, efficiently furnished, with a nicely updated bathroom. Like Italy, they even offer complimentary continental breakfast...all for a very reasonable price by NYC standards. Great location too. Only prob, our AC unit loudly cycled on & off all night which was quite annoying. We did not need it after 1st night, but would have spoken to the helpful & friendly desk for a change of room had it been necessary. Stay here! I will next time.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice city roof top view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Scotland
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My first time in New York and after much debate we decided to stay in Greenwich. Great decision. Got checked in straight away when we arrived mid afternoon. Very friendly staff. Breakfast is good too, not a massive selection just the basics but that is all we wanted. We had a deluxe room 7th floor and we needed the extra space for our cases I have to say. Had no problem sleeping. Took a wee while for hot water sometimes but it always appeared.
The man on the door during the day was very friendly. Subway a short walk away. Lots and lots of bars and restaurants close by. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012