1,357 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I had a small single room with shared bathroom. Room was clean, wifi worked, and there was an a/c (which I did not need) and a TV.

I stayed on the 7th floor, and there is an elevator. The place was fairly quiet.

Bathrooms were clean. And though I am not sure exactly how many shared bathrooms there are per floor, I noticed at least two, there was a never a problem with them all being occupied at once. One strange thing, one bathroom, which only had a toilet, did not have a sink! But other bathrooms were fully equipped.

The décor was a bit dated of course, and the rooms a bit drab, but this is a budget hotel. I was actually surprised – and impressed - with some of the old-fashioned design features of the hotel, such as the front desk and the elevator, with intricately carved wood. Otherwise, don’t expect too much in terms of design.

Staff were fine – not particularly friendly or enthusiastic, but not grumpy either.

The location is great – three/four blocks from two different subway lines, including Union Square.

Remember this is a budget hotel – meaning in the cheaper options for NY – and that NY city accommodation is super expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank move360
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The best thing about the Hotel 17 is its location - only a few blocks away from Union Square, with great restaurants (try Casa Mono for amazing tapas) and coffee shops (71 Irving Place) right around the corner. The rooms are very basic, but comfortable. We stayed in room 703, which was a quite spacious double room. The bathrooms are shared, but we never had a problem getting access to them. The hotel is a bit old and faded, and the toilets are a bit noisy after you flush them - you might not want to have the room right across the hall from the bathrooms. But for the cost of the room, it is very good value for New York, and well-situated. We didn't have much trouble with the Wifi, although you do have to reconnect sometimes if the connection drops.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms across from the bathroom, unless you want really easy access - the "05" and "06" were opposite the bathrooms on our side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I was passing through NY for 1 night and wanted something close to downtown/ greenwich village / little italy etc. It was cheap when booked through hostel bookers. (I couldnt find another in downtown so cheap with half decent ratings) It is not the ritz by any stretch but its NYC. if your in your hotel room your not doing it right. price was excellent. room was clean with a comfortable bed. Bathrooms were kept well clean and there was never a cue to get in them that i could see. If your just looking for somewhere to get a quiet nights kip then it is ideal for your needs. I walked from the hotel to Penn station which was probably a bit far with a suitcase but a cab on the inward journey was only ten bucks.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank russky29
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the 23rd December and from 26th until 4th December. The hotel is basic, but clean and staff were friendly. James on the front desk was always happy to chat and recommend different restaurants and places to go in the area. The hotel is a short walk from Union Square and Greenwich Village and close to 5th so it is easy to walk up to the Empire State Building and Times Square. There was a Walgreens, Subway and Starbucks very close by and a diner just across the street. Although the hotel did not have en suites, the bathrooms were very clean and neither of us had to wait to use one at any time. The bedrooms were small, but about average by New York standards and also very clean - a door hanger could be left outside your room in the morning if you required a maid.

The price per night was very reasonable - a lot cheaper than hotels around the Times Square/particularly touristy area. I would definitely recommend staying here, as all the sites of the city are easily accessible and the area is much more relaxed than further uptown.

Room Tip: We stayed on floors 4 and 5 and had no problems on either.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosie O
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed in room 105. It was small. The bed (a short double) was in the corner of the room and there was 2.5 feet on the other side of the bed and maybe 3 feet at the end of the bed. I am 5'8" and my feet were at the end of the bed. The pictures of a larger single room on their webpage are not of the one I stayed in. I was up in NYC for a family reunion, so I only needed a bed for one night. No major complaints. If your reservation says check in at 3 p.m. they will tell you your room won't be ready until 3:00. Never had any problems getting into a bathroom. For the price it was great. I didn't need to spend $250 for amenities that I wasn't going to use. My room was $147 for Saturday night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo