1,358 results
All reviews shared bathroom union square new york double bed stay there again manhattan heating
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This outdated Hotel is very friendly one. Even if the architecture and the structure is not proprely "modern" there is a limit due to lack of restroom in the room. Anyway I found it very decorous, clean and confortable under every other aspect.

Room Tip: Just stay in front of the Restrooms, I found them very clean and with a sort of blue light that I can imagine as a uv light (?)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

First of all, there is nothing WRONG with Hotel 17. The place is very clean, the check in was fine, the bathrooms in good shape. Rooms are a bit worn, but clean and the bed was comfortable. But...for the price I paid, I could have gotten more bang for my buck.

I booked a double room, thinking my daughter might be coming. I ended up by myself, but figured it would be nice to have the extra space. However, my room was obviously a single into which they had crammed a double bed. Very cramped. To be fair, the next day, they did offer to switch my room, but I was on my way out and did not have the time. I asked for a reduction in price, but they would not do this. So it seems that a (VERY) "small double" is the same price as a standard room.

There is no lounge, no bedside light, no bedside table, no facilities for making coffee/tea, no refrigerator, no breakfast. Basically a room. They do have free WiFi and there was a small TV in the room.

I paid about 50% LESS at the Larchmont (just on the other side on Union Square) for the same size room which included bathrobe, slippers, a lounge with free computer, a bedside light and table, flatscreen TV and breakfast. I have also stayed up at the Chelsea Lodge in a double room which included a private shower and was cheaper by about 25%.

So, in my opinion, the Hotel 17 needs to add a few more niceties or reduce their price to get more than 3 stars as a budget hotel in NYC.

Room Tip: If you book a double, make sure you get what you pay for and ask for a "standard double."
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SavvyFaire
Reviewed 7 April 2012

What a gem! Great little hotel on a quiet street near the East Village that looks like a Parisian scene. The rooms are basic but comfortable, shared shower and toilets but a sink in each room. The staff were a bit hit and miss, one one really great and helpful and the other was rude and obnoxious, which is the only reason Im not giving this 5 stars. I would still recommend this hotel if you want something a bit different to the norm.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SAMANTHA J
Reviewed 6 April 2012

It was nearly impossible to find a reasonable priced hotel room in NY easter week so we decided to give Hotel 17 a try, they had one room left. It is not a place that I would have ever thought about staying at, but after several good reviews on trip advisor I made a reservation. I stayed here with my daughter and her friend, both 15, and they loved the old fashioned feel of the hotel, especially the elevator from the minute we walked in the door. We paid $165 for a good sized corner room with two double beds, a desk, sink, plenty of towels and three windows. The only reason why I did not give the hotel an 'excellent' rating is because of the shared bath. We were lucky that it was directly across from our room, which was room 806 on the top floor. The bathroom was always clean and very convenient but I have become spoiled by the new modern private bathrooms. The hotel is located in the Gramercy area which is nice and quiet and it is on a very pretty tree lined street in a mostly residential area. We found many fantastic vintage clothing stores located within a short walk of the hotel & a great bagel shop around the corner. Greenwich Village, Union Square & Little Italy were within a reasonable walking distance. I would stay here again because it was quiet, clean and comfortable, a good price, and the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Don't be scared away by the shared bath, it wasn't that bad.

Room Tip: Room 806 is on the top floor, has 3 windows so there is a view and two double beds, and it is right across the hall from the bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank marylandusacpl
Reviewed 3 April 2012

stayed here a number of years ago - I was looking for a base not a hotel. Lots of American student use this hotel. Found it to be clean and tidy - only downside was that we did not have en-suit but there were plenty of washing facilities so no queue's.

Easy to find and within easy reach of all sightseeing. Felt safe throughout my stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends