“Excellent Budget Hotel Option”
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #295 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I stayed at Hotel 17 with a friend for five nights in April. We were impressed by the cleanliness, convenience, and relative value of the property.

Check in and check out was easy. Front desk staff were efficient but not the sort with whom one would chat about the weather. The single elevator was reasonably fast and efficient. Hallways were narrow but clean. We stayed in a non-smoking room on the fifth floor, but we were surprised to encounter a distinctive pot smell in front of the room closest to the elevator. (The smell was there all six days.)

Our room had one double bed, one twin bed, a sink, nightstand, and small closet. The room was reasonably spacious, but it would have been uncomfortable for our five-night stay had we not spent most of our time outside. There was a large window with an a/c unit, but we didn't use it because the temperature was comfortable during our stay. Our room did not have any bed bugs. Sound insulation between our room and the hallway was minimal, but luckily fellow hotel guests were quiet.

Unlike other old hotels I have stayed at over the years, the shared bathrooms at Hotel 17 were clean and well-kept. Our room was across from two shared baths, and we had no trouble accessing them during our stay. Water pressure was good in one of the tubs and so-so in the other.

Hotel 17 is superbly located on a mostly residential street just a few blocks from Union Square. The 7 train stops nearby at 3rd Avenue, and multiple other subway lines are accessible at Union Square. I was very happy with the central location, especially since we split time between Brooklyn and Manhattan, and was thrilled to avoid the touristy chaos of Times Square.

Overall, I recommend Hotel 17 if you are searching for good, affordable accommodations in a convenient location.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank davdaven
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 16 June 2011

I was checked in about 10pm by a rather tired and grumpy man behind the desk who I'd obviously inconvenienced. I was so excited about being in New York to let it bother me too much though. This small hotel has loads of character starting with the walk to my room down a narrow, dimly lit hallway with patterned carpet and wallpapered walls. The sort of hotel you'd expect to find Philip Marlowe residing at in the 1940s. My single room was the smallest hotel room I'd ever been in. My room contained a single bed (too soft), a sink, an old tv that sat on a retro dressing table. I remembered I'd requested a smoking room when I spotted an ashtray on the dressing table. There was no fridge but there was an ice machine in the hall so at least I could grab some cubes for my drinks. My suitcase could fit in the room if I wedged it tightly up against the wall. . A shared bathroom across the hall and was always in immaculate condition and not once did I have to wait to take a shower. There's no dining facilities at the hotel but plenty of places close-by to grab a bite. Location of this hotel was great for me, near Union Square station and away from the congested Times Square. I'd stay at Hotel 17again because - 1) the location and 2) I can't afford anywhere else!

Room Tip: Quiet location. Clean hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Helen_of_Oz
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I would have liked to rate this hotel 3 1/2 stars, but I rounded up to 4 because of its location, cleanliness, price, and the friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. I can see why it gets such good reviews on TA.

I visited NY for 3 days during a very busy period, and I was looking for a room with a private bath with decent reviews for under $200. I couldn't find one, not even with Hotwire or Priceline. So I reluctantly chose Hotel 17 with a shared bath. I booked a single room through Expedia, whose description said the room would have a sink. I've stayed in B&B's and European hotels with shared baths before, and I can tolerate it if I have my own sink.

I checked into the room, and found it larger than I expected, very clean, with a comfortable bed. It appeared to be recently renovated. It was only after I was undressed and unpacked that I noticed there was no sink in the room. There were 4 shared baths for the 16 rooms on my floor, but only 2 of the baths had sinks. At that point I was too tired to complain, so I went to bed.

The next morning I requested to be moved to a room with a sink. I packed my bags and left for the day, and when I returned, I had been moved. I was very happy for the remainder of my stay. I never saw more than 2 of the 4 baths in use at once, and I always found the baths clean. They must be serviced several times per day.

The hotel is on a quiet residential street, but very close to shopping, restaurants, and subway.

My one complaint is the air conditioning. In both rooms I stayed in, there was a window-mounted AC right next to the head of the bed. It was very effective, but the noise might be an issue for you being so close to your head. I got used to the noise.

If you are willing to put up with the shared bath, and want a budget priced room, I would highly recommend Hotel 17. Just make sure you confirm your room has a sink!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sink!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank MyCatsNameIsBernie
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Nice hotel in middle of manhattan .. 2 miles each way to lower and midtown manhattan.. Small rooms but clean.. Even though bathrooms are shared I found always cleaned and prepared in my 4 days except once when someone had just used it.. Found good deal at orbitz for little over 100 bucks when I booked 2 months in advance for the memorial day weekend... Very good value for money in NY

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank avidworldtraveller07
Reviewed 22 May 2011

3 blocks to Union Square subways, plenty of nightlife to choose from. Get's a 4 star because room is small but it is cheap and clean. Bed is comfortable enough, room safe a plus, shared bathroom was almost always clean and available. Stayed 5 nights and never had a bad experience the whole stay; staff was fairly friendly...if you are looking for help they are there, just don't expect them to fawn over you, real New Yorkers don't fawn.

Room Tip: room 303 was clean, had a sink, window, a/c unit
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple