1,358 results
All reviews shared bathroom union square new york double bed stay there again manhattan heating
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I was checked in about 10pm by a rather tired and grumpy man behind the desk who I'd obviously inconvenienced. I was so excited about being in New York to let it bother me too much though. This small hotel has loads of character starting with the walk to my room down a narrow, dimly lit hallway with patterned carpet and wallpapered walls. The sort of hotel you'd expect to find Philip Marlowe residing at in the 1940s. My single room was the smallest hotel room I'd ever been in. My room contained a single bed (too soft), a sink, an old tv that sat on a retro dressing table. I remembered I'd requested a smoking room when I spotted an ashtray on the dressing table. There was no fridge but there was an ice machine in the hall so at least I could grab some cubes for my drinks. My suitcase could fit in the room if I wedged it tightly up against the wall. . A shared bathroom across the hall and was always in immaculate condition and not once did I have to wait to take a shower. There's no dining facilities at the hotel but plenty of places close-by to grab a bite. Location of this hotel was great for me, near Union Square station and away from the congested Times Square. I'd stay at Hotel 17again because - 1) the location and 2) I can't afford anywhere else!

Room Tip: Quiet location. Clean hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Helen_of_Oz
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I would have liked to rate this hotel 3 1/2 stars, but I rounded up to 4 because of its location, cleanliness, price, and the friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. I can see why it gets such good reviews on TA.

I visited NY for 3 days during a very busy period, and I was looking for a room with a private bath with decent reviews for under $200. I couldn't find one, not even with Hotwire or Priceline. So I reluctantly chose Hotel 17 with a shared bath. I booked a single room through Expedia, whose description said the room would have a sink. I've stayed in B&B's and European hotels with shared baths before, and I can tolerate it if I have my own sink.

I checked into the room, and found it larger than I expected, very clean, with a comfortable bed. It appeared to be recently renovated. It was only after I was undressed and unpacked that I noticed there was no sink in the room. There were 4 shared baths for the 16 rooms on my floor, but only 2 of the baths had sinks. At that point I was too tired to complain, so I went to bed.

The next morning I requested to be moved to a room with a sink. I packed my bags and left for the day, and when I returned, I had been moved. I was very happy for the remainder of my stay. I never saw more than 2 of the 4 baths in use at once, and I always found the baths clean. They must be serviced several times per day.

The hotel is on a quiet residential street, but very close to shopping, restaurants, and subway.

My one complaint is the air conditioning. In both rooms I stayed in, there was a window-mounted AC right next to the head of the bed. It was very effective, but the noise might be an issue for you being so close to your head. I got used to the noise.

If you are willing to put up with the shared bath, and want a budget priced room, I would highly recommend Hotel 17. Just make sure you confirm your room has a sink!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sink!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank MyCatsNameIsBernie
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Nice hotel in middle of manhattan .. 2 miles each way to lower and midtown manhattan.. Small rooms but clean.. Even though bathrooms are shared I found always cleaned and prepared in my 4 days except once when someone had just used it.. Found good deal at orbitz for little over 100 bucks when I booked 2 months in advance for the memorial day weekend... Very good value for money in NY

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank avidworldtraveller07
Reviewed 22 May 2011

3 blocks to Union Square subways, plenty of nightlife to choose from. Get's a 4 star because room is small but it is cheap and clean. Bed is comfortable enough, room safe a plus, shared bathroom was almost always clean and available. Stayed 5 nights and never had a bad experience the whole stay; staff was fairly friendly...if you are looking for help they are there, just don't expect them to fawn over you, real New Yorkers don't fawn.

Room Tip: room 303 was clean, had a sink, window, a/c unit
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Hotel is a really good location. Easy walk to flatiron, empire state, lots of bars and restaurants and subway for everything else.

The room was adequate. Bed was OK, clearly not new, but fine. Room was a god size and shared bathrooms were clean 99% of the time and only had to wait to shower once. We didn't have bed bugs which I was expecting as a give in so that was a good thing! T.he room was really hot and stuffy. We had to turn the fan on which was painfully loud, but i think this is just the nature of the age of the building.

We were delayed in our arrival with snow storms and trying to change our booking was a nightmare! we booked through Hotels.com and had called and emailed them, called the hotel direct and then stayed on the phone while hotels.com called to change the booking and they still hadn't updated it/didn't get it when we arrived three days later, so not a great start. Service never wowed us.

If you are looking for accommodation on Manhattan on a budget from what we could find it was the best you could get. If you are looking for a more comfortable US trip go to San Diego. When we were delayed in LA with the snow we rented a car and went there and it was really god value for money. For the same price we stayed at Hotel Del Coronado which was amazing!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple