“Very comfortable, convenient and friendly”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #9 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 April 2012

After careful reading of reviews on TA chose the Elysee Hotel for our fortnights’ stay in fabulous NYC.

The location in Upper Mid-Town made Central Park, 34th , 32nd streets and 5th Avenue easy walking. Handy to a number of subway stations where after a bit of trial and error we found that we could reach anywhere we wanted.

As an added bonus the hotel has free Wi-Fi throughout with a very good signal (even works in elevator) - coupled with a handy desktop PC with printer in club room.

The club/breakfast room located on 2nd floor is an asset to guests - breakfast which is simple but adequate, consisting of cereals, fresh fruit, bread, bagels, yoghurt, tea and coffee all supported by friendly and very efficient staff .

As previous reviewers have commented the club room, on Level 2 - weekdays 5- 8pm - serves free wine, cheese, and appetizers. Again served by extremely efficient and friendly staff.

In general the staff were simply fantastic and professional. Special mention of the housekeeping staff whot maintained room in spotless condtion throughout our stay.

One small issue that should be mentioned as a matter of constructive feedback. Upon arrival at the hotel we requested an ice bucket from reception to chill some wine to celebrate the beginning of our holiday - the ice bucket did not arrive - this alone is a complete non- issue. However, on the evening of 1st November we requested an early morning wake up call (4.30am) - (to facilitate our departure for a pre-booked - prepaid day trip) - from reception. We did not receive any call - fortunately we used a small travel alarm - which is not necessarily reliable as a “ fail safe” - our alarm worked. Upon enquiring at reception at 5.15am that day when leaving the hotel - the gentleman at the desk indicated that there was no request logged. Again, a small matter - however - IF - we had been relying upon hotel staff for a wake up call to catch an international flight - without a back up - the consequences (for us) could have been expensiv e andserious.

Would we recommend the Hotel Elysee ? Yes -

**** We would also have normally provided a *5 Excellent TA rating.

Room Tip: As others have correctly identified - rooms on higher floors at the rear of the hotel are apparently...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vada
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Vada,
It means so much to us that you selected us after researching TripAdvisor for your 14 night stay! I am pleased by all the wonderful comments you made about our desirable location, the effectiveness of our complimentary WiFi, our comfortable Clubroom and its abundant complimentary amenities and lastly our staff all of whom I am most proud of for their hard work and diligence at making each guest’s stay a happy one.
My only regret is that we seem to have failed you on two occasions. I sincerely apologize and take full responsibility for you not receiving your wake-up call. I agree and empathize completely with your example about missing a flight due to not receiving a wake-up call. After reading your review I began my investigation and noticed the absence of your room on our call sheet. I can only assume that the agent you spoke to forgot to mark your request. Thank you for providing me with a wake-up cal. I have now implemented a procedure, which requires the agents to repeat the request back to the guest, which hopefully will eliminate an occurrence like this from happening again. I am fortunate to reply to a most understanding guest like you who did thankfully make your prepaid tour and not someone who would be rightfully upset had they missed an early flight or any appointment for that matter. With regard to your request for ice, again, I offer my apologies. Ice should not have taken more than ten minutes to reach your room. I am sorry we failed you with these two simplest of requests. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to earn that five rating. Please feel free to contact me on your return as I would be delighted to personally assist with your reservation.

John Avina

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel because another hotel in the same chain was full for Easter. I already trusted the brand, but I nonetheless was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of the staff. I arrived early, and they immediately recommended I leave my luggage with them while I went out for lunch. A second after that, someone already had my bags in their hands. The counter staff patiently answered my gazillion questions. The room itself was of a good size for the smaller ones offered at this facility, even for NYC. Since I was in one of the smallest type of rooms, there was no view, but given the fact that it was NYC during Easter weekend, I appreciated the fact that my window faced a wall instead of the street. I slept better in that room than I ever have in NYC! Tiny, tiny irritant for me was the lack of counter space (there was none, in fact), which, I imagine, for even just a couple of people in a room, would definitely be annoying. It's a drop in the ocean though, when I think of the excellent welcome and friendliness of all the staff, the location, value and everything you need in a beautiful package.

Room Tip: If you want a view on the street, go for the suites, because the smaller rooms are on the inside cor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

What a great hotel! Staff so friendly, great location! Lovely rooms, convenient breakfast.
The wine and cheese in the evening Is a lovely touch!
Totally would recommend this hotel!
Many thanks for the prosecco for my wifes 30th birthday!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our first visit to NYC as a special anniversary occasion, which the hotel found out about so left us a bottle of quality bubbly and a little box of chocolates. We were delighted with our choice of hotel and it lived up to our expectations. The location is very good (about 10 mins brisk walk to the Rockerfeller Centre). Excellent 'Continental' breakfasts, although they do have boiled eggs too. Very friendly staff, seemingly going about their work efficiently and happily. Can't really think of anything to criticise and we'd definitely stay here again. Don't miss The Monkey Bar for a cocktail, which is part of the hotel and featured in 'Sex and The City'.

Room Tip: We stayed in two Junior Suites on the 14th floor. Very large rooms with the 'wow' factor. Ex...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The service received from the hotel was excellent, from the moment we checked in to to our very last day when we checked out. The staff are extrememly helpful and can't do enough.

We stayed in the Queen Superior room. It was similar to a mini suite. A lovely room with tasteful decor. When we returned in the evening room service would have been in and drawn our blinds and turned on the bedside lamps. A lovely addition to the overall service. I gave the sleep quality 4 because I found the bed a bit lumpy but that could be to personal taste.

I was very pleased with the daily Breakfast and wine with canapes in the late afternoon to evening. Everything on offer was non-meat which made it easy.

Location is great for a peaceful stay from the noise of the general noisiness of the city but local amenities are little to none after hours. There is restuarant attached to the hotel we hoped to have tried but didn't have time. It's had great reviews and the hotel keep a couple of table aside for guests.

Overall we had a great time staying here and is certainly the best hotel we've stayed at. The only thing I would say I didn't like was the guests that stayed for business would take over the lounge area during breakfast and the evenings to have meetings. Large groups and loud conversations. However, the hotel is pricey so their trade will come mainly from businesses.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com