“Average property.. good location”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #311 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Average property.. good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Went here for a weekend getaway in May 2011. Property was very average... a bit tired and old looking

The room is clean but not much. The amenities in the bathroom are not good at all for a Hilton hotel. I expected more.

Service was just okay

Location is pretty good as it is close to Grand Central Station so it is comfortable to commute from there

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our location.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We usually try to stay at Hilton hotels while traveling as we like the comfort & the perks with being Hilton honor members. This hotel was no different. Clean rooms, comfy beds. With our membership, we were offered free daily breakfast, or 2 free drinks a the bar each. We opted for the breakfast since the bar closes early (11pm). The breakfast is a full American breakfast, aka buffet. The food isn't bad, but isn't great. But hey, its free!! Although I do think their potatoes tasted funny.
The rooms are very small, as are the hallways. But, if you are not traveling to NYC to hang out in your room, then that should't be an issue!
While it is about a 10-15 minute walk to Times Square, it is only about a 5 minute walk to Grand Central Station which gets you everywhere!!
There is also a Starbucks nearby, and a CVS right near the entrance to the subway station should you need to grab something you forgot.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brandy516
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read about all of your insights on our property and appreciate your thoughts. We look forward to your next visit.
jnorman76
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

The Hilton Manhattan East is beautiful with lots of old touches. The lobby is small, but there is an atmosphere around its days as the Tudor. There are lots of quirks (small elevators, small hallways, small conference facilities), so if you're a business traveler used to the Hilton brand, this probably isn't the place for you.

The front desk staff was efficient, but not overly friendly. They failed to let me know on check-in that there are two towers to the hotel. Being in the south tower, I went downstairs to find offices and a hallway full of used towels (yuck) only to be re-directed. Once I got to my room, it was well appointed and comforting. There is a sincere amount of construction being done in the area, and the hotel is covered in scaffolds (including this corner room upgrade).

The bathrooms are in major need of an update. Mine included a Jacuzzi tub, a bidet and a toilet. But all needed updating. Despite the full page of instructions in the shower, I failed to master the exact cadence of what was needed for a not-too-hot shower.

All in all, I probably won't stay here again, but it's nothing against the property itself. I just prefer larger facilities with a little less charm. But that makes me American, right?

Room Tip: Ask for a room without scaffolding on the outside to preserve any view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BoogerSwamp
Thank you for your comments. We apprieciate your thoughts on our property. We will share them with our entire team.
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We visited Hilton Manhattan East during New Year's time this year for 3 nights. We were upgraded to executive room due to hilton hhonors status. The hotel is on a decent location, a bit far from attractions and there isn't a lot going on in the neighborhood. Grand central is nearby so you can travel with relative ease around manhattan

Rooms were decent size for Manhattan, albeit a bit tight. Bathroom had relatively good amenities but cleanliness was not spot on (especially in the shower). Breakfast was decent, variety was good but quality not top-notch

Service was relatively friendly but nothing exceptional, although nothing to complain about either.

All in all, an ok stay but not the best Hilton in town

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Armadillob
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your thoughts on our property and will share all of your feedback with the entire team.
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I only stayed here one night (for business), but had it been a longer stay, I would have changed hotels, something I never do.

When you first enter the hotel, you'll be impressed . . . friendly people, attractive and quaint lobby area, nice bar. So all that I needed was a decent room and that's where everything fell apart. As a Hilton Gold member, I usually get at least a pretty decent room. But when I showed up (around 3:30pm), I was told they only had a queen room at the moment and that the king room I was scheduled to have would not be available for a while. No problem I said, and took the queen room. I really don't care that much about room size, particularly since this was a one-night stay and I needed to get some work done.

When I entered the room (Room 1024), I was a little surprised. Chipping paint on the ceiling, and a couple of small chips of paint had fallen to the carpeting. In my opinion, this is not something you need to bring to the hotel's attention - see the picture I'm posting and judge for yourself. This is evidence of a hotel that's stopped caring. Then, the bathroom. It was clean enough, but smelled like mildew - I assume from the shower curtain, but I didn't investigate further. I just dealt with it. I'm a little angry at myself for not leaving the hotel right then.

And yet neither of the above two issues was my greatest issue. I went out to a business meeting and dinner, returned to the hotel at about 10:30, and got ready for bed. The room was a little warm so I turned on the a/c. It worked fine. But every time it cycled off, there was a loud bang and rattling of metal, which woke me up periodically throughout the night. We're not talking about typical city noises (I live in Chicago). I'm talking about what it would sound like if someone took a metal bar and starting smashing metal pipes . . . repeatedly, and loudly. Needless to say, not a great night of sleep.

I travel occasionally to New York for work and to visit family, and I've stayed at a Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn, both near Times Square, as well as two Hiltons (one near Times Square, the other on 6th), the Doubletree Times Square and the Waldorf. All of the above would be acceptable if you're Hilton Honors and looking for a Hilton property. I can't recall which one I liked the most - the Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton were actually surprisingly nice, and I also liked the Hilton Times Square (Hilton on 6th seemed a bit dated) - but I would never return to this hotel.

Perhaps I just got a bad room - but nobody should be subject to a room like this one.

Room Tip: If you go, do not stay in Room 1024
Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank ChicagoToTheWorld
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that you experienced the problem that you did while staying with us. This is not the standard, but an exception. We are reviewing this room with the entire team to see what occured. We hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.