“Birthday Celebration”
Review of Havana Social

Havana Social
Reserve with OpenTable
Havana Social is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,004 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 17 July 2017

I went to visit Havana Social on a recommendation from a friend. I was not disappointed. We sat at the bar, the window was open and the breeze was perfect. We ordered a pitcher of coconut mojitos and tostones. The mojitos were excellent and the tostones were perfect. I definitely look forward to make reservations for lunch or dinner. Everyone was very nice and our bartender was very attentive. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed 4 June 2017

While everybody's opinion may be different, there are many things to like about Havana Social, but there are a few not to like.

On the positive side, our reservation was honored, there was live Cuban music the night I was there, the service was efficient, and the food was fresh.

On the negative side, as the restaurant is relatively small, they are very protective about their seats, even on a weekday night. They warn you on the website about nobody being seated until the entire party is there, and if one person in the party is 20 minutes late, the reservation will not be honored. Then you get a call the day of the reservation from Grace, who repeats the warning - in a mechanical way - on the phone. She sounds like a drill sergeant.
And she's at it again when she hands you the menu, especially when referring to the Prix fixe, when she tells you that no matter how many in the party, with the Prix Fixe, a 20% service charge will be added.

Re the menu, while there are traditional dishes, there are many that are missing - including my favorite: camarones enchilados. And they somehow - in their attempt to be different by calling themselves Cuban Fusion - serve some of the traditional dishes - in a Bento Box.

So, as you can see, for me it was a mixed bag.

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

Nice small restaurant as soon as you walk in the bar is right there. The bar sits about 5 people. I’ll say this restaurant sits a little around or a little more than 20 people. Prices of the food and drinks are reasonable I ordered the Mar y Tierra (chipotle pork chops,garlic butter shrimp,mash potato puree,sauteed spinach) and a Caipirinha. With my experiences with Caipirinhas it was good just a little too much ice in the drink other than that it was good. The pork chops were very good a nice thick piece and was cooked very well not dry at all and juicy. The staff were very friendly and everyone that walked passed us greeted us with smiles. My wife booked this for my birthday and they gave us complimentary drinks and flan with ice cream. For me they gave me a very nice size shot of Hennessy and for my wife a shot a Coquito. I will definitely come back next time is to check out their brunch.

1  Thank Darnell T
Reviewed 8 May 2017

A very snug place to taste some of the exotic foods of Cuba and Nuevo Latino. First of all the staff is very accommodating and tries to keep within the reservation schedule. The Bar is at the entrance and hopefully the customers are not as large so you don't have to squeeze to the hostess desk? The food is tasty, but I knew that a Cuban restaurant can make a decent American or Cuban Nuevo Hamberger (they do it well in Colombia). Well I saw the Havana Burger and thought that my dreams were true, I had found a Hamburger that Cubans and myself could be proud of at $24 bucks a pop? Well to my disappointment it was another Hamburger Paradise Hockey Puck? Dry Hard and tasteless. Strangely everything else was good, although the beans could have been a little bit more creamy. I would probably come back to their bento box dishes and friendly staff. But the dishes need just a little bit more work.

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

The food was amazing. This is my second visit to this place.
I remember trying the arepa dulce before (along with other magnificent appetizers) and this time was even better! Today we all shared our food: Spanish Omelette, Colombian and Cuban Benedict, and Huevos Rancheros - all of them absolutely delicious.