“Great modern Indian”

Babu Ji
Ranked #2,957 of 14,808 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 14 - USD 26
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Description: Jessi and Jennifer Singh, the team who created three acclaimed Australian restaurants, Dhaba at the Mill (sold in 2013), Horn Please and Babu Ji (both sold 2015) bring their signature creative and fun approach to Indian dining to NYC. The Hindi term Babu Ji, when used playfully is what we New Yorkers might call the mayor of the block. In India, a Babu Ji is that self appointed neighborhood ambassador who knows everyone and everything that’s happening the village. He’s a real character who always has a great story. When it comes to food, he’s equally enthusiastic. A Babu Ji unashamedly indulges in food and hospitality. He laughs loudly and revels in his food, company and atmosphere. He absolutely loves being served. We love this type of dining spirit. We have created Babu Ji, the restaurant with this dining ethos in mind, hoping to provoke this gregarious, spirited dining attitude in our guests. The food at Babu Ji is simple yet remarkable in the general Indian dining scene as it’s made from high quality ingredients, cooked earnestly and offered in a considered and regularly changing menu that spans Indian street food, cross regional curries and tandoori specialties. We’ve stocked the beverage fridges well with a large selection of craft beer, imports and an approachable but interesting wine list. Jessi is the man behind the pots, whose cooking has been celebrated by the most respected Australian publications such as The Age Good Food Guide, Broadsheet, Cheap Eats, and The Australian as well as America's cream of the crop, The New York Times, WSJ, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, Time Out, Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, The Infatuation, and more. He grew up in a humble, North Indian village kitchen where his love of cooking for others emerged. Now, his village happily extends to New York City. Come to Babu Ji ready to have fun with us. We hope as you pass through our doors, you will feel the hospitality spirit of our beloved India, where it is always an honor to feed a guest. We look forward to sharing a meal with you, Jessi & Jennifer
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Second visit here and still good. Tasting menu is definitely the way to go for the adventurous--just make sure you're hungry because it's a lot of food--but a great assortment of their best and good way to really experience the range and quality of the food. Anything on the menu will be good and fresh. This is "modern" Indian--def not 6th Street. There have been a number of these modern Indian restos in NYC over the past, most not surviving long but offering a welcome change from the old heavy fare of 6th St/etc.

ChinaGrillMgt, Manager at Babu Ji, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Knohanz,

Thank you so much for your kind review and for revisiting our restaurant! We take pride in giving the best experience possible and it makes me proud we showed our best, not once, but twice! I hope you’ll join us again, but next time you must try our lamb chops—they are divine!

For any future reservations, please feel free to reach out directly to me: elliot@babujinyc.com

Very Best,
Elliot

Reviewed 20 March 2018

A young and modern place with pop music a little too loud for my taste. The gol gappa appetizer ($10) was simply amazing and must be ordered. The spinach paneer ($18) was fine but not exceptional. My companion was happy with his food.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to Babu Ji several times as it is close by my residence near lower 5th avenue Manhattan. We had the lamb chops, although only 2 were delicious. We had for the first time , Grilled dourade, with heavenly spices, perfectly done, and a nice portion. And had the Palak paneer, a spiced spinach curry with cumin, chili and a touch of cream, heavenly. Had a very good glass of syrah. Our waiter and the service staff in general were a 10/10. They brought out a complimentary honeyed donut, delish. And topped off our wine on the house. I am a snobby international foodie and guarantee all will love this food

Hi there Jeff,

Thank you so much for frequenting our restaurant! I am so happy you have received the best Babu Ji experience we have to offer and I will definitely pass along your compliments to the staff. Please join us Monday-Friday, 5-6:30pm, for our Happy Hour; or for any future reservations, please feel free to reach out directly to me: elliot@babujinyc.com

Very Best,
Elliot

Reviewed 3 March 2018

The picture was intriguing - so I had to check it out. The online menu looked very enticing, so I knew it was on the to-do list. It took a bit of back and forth to find it - but very much worth the effort. We were greeted warmly and taken upstairs to a table next to the window over looking the street. Ollie greeted us and asked if it was our first visit and we were visiting from. He was patient and answered all of our questions about the menu and did not bat an eye when I changed my order. The Tandoori Chicken and Waffles were so unusual and so good - perfect combination of the spicy chicken with a slightly sweet waffle and made for a spectacular presentation . My friend had a curry bowl with butter chicken - yum. They also shared the Tuna Tartare - really nice! One more place on the list to visit next time we are in NYC.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

A small restaurant with limited seating on the ground floor. We were seated upstairs. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. We should have gone with the tasting menu which looked much more interesting than the regular limited menu. There were several gluten free items. The cauliflower which looked really good was not and the waiter said they cannot make it gluten free. The flavors of the dishes were good, but different than what you would expect. The chicken tandoori was very tender and juicy. Portions were small, keep in mind when ordering. Overall it was a bit noisy, we could not keep a conversation.