“Great modern Indian”

Price range: USD 14 - USD 26
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Second visit here and still good. Tasting menu is definitely the way to go for the adventurous--just make sure you're hungry because it's a lot of food--but a great assortment of their best and good way to really experience the range and quality of the food. Anything on the menu will be good and fresh. This is "modern" Indian--def not 6th Street. There have been a number of these modern Indian restos in NYC over the past, most not surviving long but offering a welcome change from the old heavy fare of 6th St/etc.

Date of visit: April 2018
ChinaGrillMgt, Manager at Babu Ji, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Knohanz,

Thank you so much for your kind review and for revisiting our restaurant! We take pride in giving the best experience possible and it makes me proud we showed our best, not once, but twice! I hope you’ll join us again, but next time you must try our lamb chops—they are divine!

For any future reservations, please feel free to reach out directly to me: elliot@babujinyc.com

Very Best,
Elliot

Reviewed 20 March 2018

A young and modern place with pop music a little too loud for my taste. The gol gappa appetizer ($10) was simply amazing and must be ordered. The spinach paneer ($18) was fine but not exceptional. My companion was happy with his food.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to Babu Ji several times as it is close by my residence near lower 5th avenue Manhattan. We had the lamb chops, although only 2 were delicious. We had for the first time , Grilled dourade, with heavenly spices, perfectly done, and a nice portion. And had the Palak paneer, a spiced spinach curry with cumin, chili and a touch of cream, heavenly. Had a very good glass of syrah. Our waiter and the service staff in general were a 10/10. They brought out a complimentary honeyed donut, delish. And topped off our wine on the house. I am a snobby international foodie and guarantee all will love this food

Date of visit: March 2018

Hi there Jeff,

Thank you so much for frequenting our restaurant! I am so happy you have received the best Babu Ji experience we have to offer and I will definitely pass along your compliments to the staff. Please join us Monday-Friday, 5-6:30pm, for our Happy Hour; or for any future reservations, please feel free to reach out directly to me: elliot@babujinyc.com

Very Best,
Elliot

Reviewed 3 March 2018

The picture was intriguing - so I had to check it out. The online menu looked very enticing, so I knew it was on the to-do list. It took a bit of back and forth to find it - but very much worth the effort. We were greeted warmly and taken upstairs to a table next to the window over looking the street. Ollie greeted us and asked if it was our first visit and we were visiting from. He was patient and answered all of our questions about the menu and did not bat an eye when I changed my order. The Tandoori Chicken and Waffles were so unusual and so good - perfect combination of the spicy chicken with a slightly sweet waffle and made for a spectacular presentation . My friend had a curry bowl with butter chicken - yum. They also shared the Tuna Tartare - really nice! One more place on the list to visit next time we are in NYC.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 21 February 2018

A small restaurant with limited seating on the ground floor. We were seated upstairs. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. We should have gone with the tasting menu which looked much more interesting than the regular limited menu. There were several gluten free items. The cauliflower which looked really good was not and the waiter said they cannot make it gluten free. The flavors of the dishes were good, but different than what you would expect. The chicken tandoori was very tender and juicy. Portions were small, keep in mind when ordering. Overall it was a bit noisy, we could not keep a conversation.

Date of visit: February 2018