“For Cookies there's no Competition!”
Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 475 Dessert in New York City
Price range: USD 0 - USD 23
Cuisines: Indian, Fast food
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
Reviewed 30 March 2012

It's very difficult to pass Levain bakery without calling in; this place really does make incredible cookies.

As a warning, eat in moderation; the dough is heavy and rich but so, so good!

2  Thank Rachel W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,916)

Reviewed 29 March 2012

After hearing all the fuss I decided to try out levain bakery in Harlem. I bought two of their famous cookies. Yes, they are larger than the average cookie but I managed to eat two in the one go and I only weigh 50 kilos so i'm not sure why people claim they are so big.

The cookies are okay. I don't think they are fabulous enough to put this bakery in the top restaurant list of NYC. I'm not a big fan of eating raw cookie dough and the consistency of these cookies is like that apart from around the edges which are crunchier and nicer. To me it was overly dense, unrefined and gluggy. Bigger/ fattier and filling doesn't necessarily represent good food if you get my drift. I wouldn't go back for their cookies, not sure about the rest of their products as I didn't try them.

2  Thank Sosuma
Reviewed 29 March 2012

a bit hard to find.....go anyway...the cookies are fabulous

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We let our noses be our guides and we lucked out. The bread rolls and scones are delicious. We will definitely be back next time in New York!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

OMG...there is not better chocolate chip cookie in the world. I go WAY out of my way to visit here and get the chocolate chip walnut cookie. Tip: ask for a warm one...so gooey and rich, you can barely eat one...and I think each weighs about a half pound. I have been going for more than 10 years to this place...tiny basement hard to find kitchen...it hasn't changed a bit...and thank heavens! They also ship, so it is a great gift, but nothing compares to fresh and hot out of the oven.

1  Thank MrFordCT