“Beautiful Smoked Fish -- Worth the Wait!”

Russ & Daughters Cafe
Ranked #62 of 14,664 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Deli
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed 2 December 2017

We arrived by 9AM on Black Friday, and had about a 30-minute wait to be seated. We ordered a variety of items from the menu: Melt-in-your-mouth smoked salmon, blintzes, matzo ball soup, borscht, an egg cream soda. All of it was beautifully prepared, and served very practically and reasonably quickly. Worth a visit!

1  Thank mshapiro99

Reviewed 2 December 2017

The perfect lox, smoked sable, and herring brunch. The bagels were perfect and fresh, the quality of the fish was simply superior. The borscht was loved (by those of us who love borscht) Everyone in our party was delighted with the food. The ambiance, creating an old time look added to the authenticity of the experience. This place is a must visit.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

Loved the food - and ultimately that is what we were there for. Latkes - amazing. Bialy and lox - perfect. Matzoh ball soup - rivals my mom's. But what stands between you and the food are some not very kind hosts. I get that it is crowded and there is a long wait, but on this particular Friday (day after Thanksgiving) as we waited our 40 minutes, I watched the hosts be outright rude to an elderly gentleman with a cane, ignore paying customers asking basic questions, and telling people to move so they had more space around the host stand. Again, the food was great, but I think I would have to weigh whether it was good enough to overlook rude staff.

4  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Starting with a warning. You may encounter a one hour wait at busy times. So make your place on the queue then spend the time in the fascinating Tenement Museum very near.
Russ & Daughters has a very traditional deli/cafe menu. Specialising I’m smoked fish of many sorts. All delicious. We loved the food here. Recommended

Reviewed 24 November 2017

We stopped here for breakfast, we must have just made it before the rush (9am) as there was a queue to get in after we were seated.
If you plan on eating there at the weekend, I would recommend booking in advance.
The food there was delicious, I got Lower Sunny Side which consisted of eggs, salmon and potato latkes (a tastier more filling version of a hash brown if you will).
The service was fantastic, we didn't have to wait to be severed or for our food and drinks to arrive.

Note: there is a lot of fish on the menu, therefore if you are not a fan you may struggle with the menu a little.