“Excellent Gluten Free Italian Food Options”
Review of Senza Gluten

Senza Gluten
Reserve with OpenTable
Senza Gluten is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #225 of 15,768 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 25 - USD 50
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Description: We are aware that being celiac or choosing a gluten-free diet can sometimes be challenging, especially when dining out. At Senza Gluten we want to make sure your dining experience is perfect and safe by guaranteeing a 100% gluten-free cuisine.
Reviewed 1 August 2018

Went for lunch on a Tuesday afternoon. This is a small, cozy place. Menu options are really good. Excellent service. In our group we had two flatbread pizzas, a burger, grilled chicken breast sandwich, Penne Al Pomodoro. Everyone enjoyed each dish. If no one told you it was Gluten Free you would not be able to tell based on what we ordered. Our group also shared a couple of Torta Al Cioccolatos (molten choc. cake) for dessert. Really tasty. Do yourself a favor and try this restaurant regardless of the fact it is totally gluten free. If you have a gluten allergy or intolerance (as one of our party does) this is a fantastic place to have a worry free, delicious lunch or dinner. Prices are a little on the high side but not overpriced. Be advised they only accept cash or American Express. We will return again.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

Expensive, special meal prices but not a special experience. Food cold, tables way too close together, service brusque. I think this is a much over rated restaurant. The gluten free elements of the meal weren't good. We had rock hard bruchetta and bland spaghetti. There are places offering gf pizza nearby where I'd go instead.

1  Thank cathy e
Reviewed 27 July 2018

Although not diagnosed with celiac, I wanted to try Senza Gluten after reading some stellar reviews.

Three friends and I dined on a blistering, humid night. I arrived first and was seated quickly, but no one offered water. I was really surprised, because on days like this, when the humidity takes everything out of you, this is usually the first thing a restaurant offers. The restaurant wasn't busy, just 6:15. Waiting, waiting...I gave up and started looking at the cocktail menu. Diner #2 arrived 10 minutes later, was seated, no beverage or water offered. Again, I was surprised and starting to get a little angry. The third in our party arrived, and we were still not offered anything to drink. I spoke up and asked if I could order a drink.

Note to restaurant: You should know better. You don't have to wait until everyone is seated to at least provide water, on such a hot night!

Next, we were asked to move tables because there was a large party coming and they needed the table where we were seated. Our fourth arrived in the midst of the move. I didn't really mind until we sat down. The new table was right next to the servers' station with all of the utensils, napkins, etc. as well as the stairwell to the rest rooms. The air conditioning was pointing right at the table and caused a draft.

From that table I noticed a supersweet smelling "cleaning product" that was pretty overpowering. No one else at the table seemed to smell it, so I was quiet about it, but the disturbing scent was not in the air at the first table. Well, so what, it was the worst table in the house, I would say. We've had worse...oh no! We haven't.

Okay so let's get to the incredible food. One in our party had a sinful 4-cheese spinach gnocchi in a sauce that was neither too thick nor thin. He was very pleased and ordered another mojito with ginger. Our pickiest diner ate all of her penne al pomodoro and was pleased with the Montepulciano wine. I had the vegetable lasagna (just scrumptious), and the other diner had the meat lasagna (which cost more...kind of strange).

From our arrival until about 7:30, we could hear each other very well. When two parties of birthday celebrations started partying, we had to shout to hear one another, and the later it got, the more difficult it became.

The restrooms, frankly, stank of that awful sweet smell and there was no room to wait on line, when I went down, except on a steep staircase.

If only they hadn't seated us at that awful smelling spot. And had brought out the ice water as soon as we'd come in.

I don't understand what's going on with Senza Gluten, but the food is pretty spectacular. If I lived nearby I would do take out. All of the servers were very accommodating and genuinely friendly, but who doesn't offer you a drink on a 90 degree, 75% humidity night? And what is with that awful smell?

1  Thank LizzieandIzzy
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

This was a real gem to find. Located in trendy Greenwich Village this was an absolute delight for me as someone with celiac disease. The food quality was good if a little ‘like mama used to make’ and even the gluten free bread was good which makes a change from the usual cardboard versions I’m used to. This place is 100% gluten free making it the perfect place to avoid cross contamination. As with all specialist dining, particularly in upmarket Greenwich, this isn’t the cheapest restaurant but as a treat for an excellent gluten free meal this is hard to beat.

1  Thank MikeHa117
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

Went for a gluten free lunch. It was absolutely delicious but the service was terrible. Also they charge for refills on ice tea. Restrooms were not clean and were stinky. We had to keep asking for refills. Had to ask for our check too. Was very disappointed in the service.