“Terrace Suite”

GreenLeadersBronze level
san antonio, TX
“Terrace Suite”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I've reviewed it before and I still think it's the best location in the city for families and shopping. The plaza is my go to hotel in NYC. I've tried others but always come back here. For me the plaza is the center of the city.

This time we stayed in a Terrace Suite. We were supposed to have an edwardian suite but when we checked in they asked if we wanted to upgrade to the terrace suite and we decided to do it. It was not a complementary upgrade, I am never the girl who wins the hotel room lottery. We paid a lot more than we were going to for the edwardian suite but you only live once.

The suite was beautiful, two stories, with the one bedroom upstairs. The downstairs had a living room, an office, a small kitchen area and a full bathroom. The terrace was off the bedroom and overlooked 58th street. For the most part the suite was super clean and the bathrooms are spotless. The only exception was the couch in the living room. It was borderline yucky. I could have complained but we just grabbed some of the big bath Towels and put them down over the cushions.
While I loved the room, for a family with small children this suite would not be ideal. We have a 4 year old and I was very conceded about him falling down the large set of wood stairs. If you have kids younger I would say this is not the room for you.
The best part of the room aside from the very large terrace with a great city view was the master bathroom. It was beautiful and had a heated floor. Which was perfect for feet that were tired from the endless amounts of walking you do in NYC.
The plaza is a great hotel for families , the service is good, It's clean, it's safe and the location is ideal.

Room Tip: Terrace suite is beautiful but not for families with toddlers.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank suitestayer
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for choosing The Plaza as your home in New York City. Your feedback and loyalty to our hotel is greatly appreciated. We are pleased to share that we are currently working on improvements to our Terrace Suites which include carpeting the staircase and putting pull-out couches in the study to better accommodate larger families. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Our family group travelled from the UK and stayed in New York and as a special birthday treat for my mother and her best friend, I decided to take them for afternoon tea at the Plaza on the 08th April, Easter Sunday.

I reviewed the Plaza Hotel website before we travelled, and although the afternoon tea menu was very expensive ($50) I convinced myself that it was an experience that they would thoroughly enjoy.

I booked through the Open Table link and received a confirmation that our table for 5 was reserved on the Easter Sunday. So far so good.

The sandwiches selection detailed on the publish menu was not what I would call typical, and so I emailed the Palm Court on the 02nd April to see if they could provide us with a more simpler sandwich choice.
I received a reply on the 5th stating that a note would be made on my reservation and that they received special requests on a daily basis and try to accommodate all their guests. Again so far so good.

We all arrived in plenty of time and proceeded to the Palm Court to be told by, who I assume was the lady in charge of the Palm Court that they weren't serving afternoon tea, and that they were serving Easter Brunch for $95.00 per person!!! and that they had tried to contact me on my mobile but the number was not recognised. It's a UK number.

I was totally bemussed and said that I would have to speak to my party and explain the situation.We agreed somewhat reluctantly to take our seats and review the bruch menu. There was nothing that appealled and for the $95 for the privalege it was even less appealing.

It was a that point that my partner went over again to the employee and said that we weren't interested in the bruch menu and wanted afternoon tea for our special occassion. The manager was called for and we were then told that our tea could be served in the Rose Club to which we left our table and were directed to a dark corner in what appeared to be the main hotel bar.

For the next 10 miutes the staff were frantically proceeding to set up our table (we put the small tables together to give us more surface area to use) Our tea order was taken and that arrived first and by the time the food arrived we had drunk most of it. The scones were cold, even though they were wrapped in a napkin and the sandwiches were not touched by my mother because no staff member enquired about the special request.

I received the bill and left the table to discuss the service shortfalls and said that I wasn't willing to pay the service charge which equated to $37.00. The employee in charge ( Andrei, who was overstrectched ) asked what the problem was with the service and so I explained that I wasn't happy to pay it and wished it to be removed from the bill. He was not authorised to do it and would have to get the Manager.

The Manager promptly arrived and we entered a conversation, human error was given as to the email response to my special request, and that the person doing so did not recognise the date I had booked was a date that afternoon tea service was suspended. She was very apologetic and as recompense I was refunded $150 for three of the teas which I accepted.

I did get an email on my phone on the 8th stating that the Plaza had cancelled my reservation but at that point I was already in the hotel with my party beginning this fiasco.

A wonderful looking hotel ruined by a horrible experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Markuns
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

its a very nice hotel, the rooms are spacious and very comfy, though the service was so bad, it took us 30 minutes to check in, and the reception desk employees were so laid back! too bad for such a great location!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Elyias
Old Brookville, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Had beautiful Edwardian suite to sharewith my mom for her birthday with partial park view - king size bed in bedroom and a rollaway in the living room that was actually wonderful. The room was over 1000 sf and the bathroom was gorgeous with separate entries to beautiful shower stall and toilet. The dressing and bath area were large and lovely - tiles were elegant. Concierge service excellent. Bar drinks ridiculously expensive even for New York. But the room price for space and glamour beat other comparable properties. Beware, not a get away from it all hotel. Not low key. Not boutique hotel ambiance. Hustle and bustle with tour groups winding around the Palm Court dining room while we were having lunch because it is that grand and pretty.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback on your recent stay. We are very proud of the exceptional room product we offer - our suites are among the largest in New York City and our bathrooms are truly spectacular. The entrance of the hotel is a bit busier than most being that we are a New York City landmark, however we are glad that you weren't inconvenienced and are understanding of our unique situation. We will share your review with our hotel team-- we all hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon!
Kentucky
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We just stayed at The Plaza for three nights. The hotel is opulent and the sevice stellar.We got a free upgrade to a Rose Suite for beiing Fairmont Presiedent Club memebers.I highly recommend doing this before you go.The membership is free.

The Palm Court is wonderful!We enjoyed breakfast everyday.

It is right across tne rosd from FAO Schwarz and the Apple store.They have house cars - BMW - which takes you to shows and dinner within 12 miles.

One caveat- the fitness club has pool which charges 50$ for a half day and 100$ for full day?!? I have nevef had to pay to swim in a hotel where I was paying almost 1000 $ night.
Theynalso charge 75 $ for a rollaway bed per night.

Despite it I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Become a Fairmont Club Member fro free upgrades
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends