“Ropa Vieja, Vaca Frita and Sangria are the Real Deal”
Review of Guantanamera

Reserve with OpenTable
Guantanamera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #440 of 14,431 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: A,C,B,D,1 at 59th St/Columbus Circle, N,R,Q,W at 57th St
Reviewed 25 November 2014

This is one of the most authentic Cuban Restaurants in the Big Apple offering home style traditional Cuban dishes. Highly recommend the Ropa Vieja dish, a Cuban specialty of shredded beef stewed in a tomato sauce with onions, garlic and other spices served with black beans and rice. The Vaca Frita is another favorite translated as Fried Cow in English. The beef is shredded and pan fried until crispy seasoned with lime juices, onions, cilantro and other spices served with black beans and rice. Absolutely mouth watering and delicious! YUM! My husband and I joined a few friends for dinner and drinks and we had a wonderful time! Great food and live music! Definitely one of our favorites in our beloved New York City!

Reviewed 23 November 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner at this restaurant which is a couple of streets parallel to the restaurant Row of NYC and service and food was excellent. The wine list on offer was very affordable (considering new york prices). For starter we had pork tamale (to die for), main had a sort of seafood platter which was also excellent. When we went , they also had live music. Definitely a good restaurant in the big apple.

Reviewed 20 November 2014

While on vacation, I will often look for experiences that help me understand and define the character of the city that I'm visiting. After living in New York for over 10 yrs, I realize that I definitely take the City for granted and have not delved into finding its heartbeat as much as I would when visiting a new location.

Fortunately, there are those around me that have helped me find those little gems in the City that have helped color my stay here. On a cold NYC night, me and my fellow classmates in Jessica Rodriguez's Latin percussion class decided to take her out for her birthday, and we thought, what better place to take her than somewhere you can hear some live Salsa, and get some good Cuban food (I'm sure their awesome $6 mojito deal on Tuesdays didn't hurt our decision either). :)

Located steps away from Columbus Circle, you'll find one of the City's finest Latin dining experiences. For the strict foodie experience, I know there are many other options for Latin cuisine that NYC can offer, but I get the feeling that for a fun night of food+music+live salsa music, Guantanamera Restaurant is an experience that is hard to beat. My selection for the evening was the delicious Ropa Vieja (shredded skirt steak braised in a garlic sauce of fresh tomatoes, sliced onions and mixed peppers), which was quickly served from their courteous and friendly staff. It's also important to acknowledge the quick turn-around time for their drink service, which insured that we always had a drink in our hands, and definitely kept the party mood going!

Although the dining experience was great, what made this night memorable was experiencing the Pedrito Martinez Group for the first time. Recognized for his skills on the congas, Pedrito Martinez and his band will skillfully amaze any music aficionado who appreciates quality Latin percussion. As a bonus, what most of us diners didn't realize was that Guantanamera is also a popular hang-out spot for Latin artists, many who arrive with instruments in-hand, after they've completed their gigs elsewhere. Put a group of amazing artists in one room, and what you get is an insane impromptu jam session at the end of the night that just has to be experienced live!

So for anyone in the City who is looking to have a memorable night, dining on some tasty Cuban dishes, and being awe-struck by the musical stylings of some truly amazing Latin musicians, make sure to check out Guantanamera Restaurant.

Reviewed 17 November 2014

Nice, moderately priced cuban restaurant in midtown. The food was well prepared and authentic. The server wasn't helpful or friendly which detracted from the experience. We also did not stay for the cuban band which started around 8.

Reviewed 16 November 2014

Some reviewers called it pricey. Earlier reviewers complained of other things. I don't review a lot because I work in Manhattan and usually leave the NYC yelping to tourists. However, we were pleased to find a good place for a pre or after theater dinner, this time near Studio 54 which is a block away. It's actually a very reasonable four star restaurant by Manhattan standards. That's one of the reasons we chose to try it. Tablecloths, plenty of room around each table. Pleasant, friendly greeting and service, nicely paced. The food was good, with a satisfying choice of Classic Cuban dishes and decent portion sizes. Enough to leave some over if you want. We didn't try dessert, too full, but ordered coffee. I was touched when my decaf came with a small pitcher of steamed milk, without me asking or ordering it. Better yet, my husbands acute hearing let us in on a secret. Most of the other clientele were Cuban American. You know what that means about a restaurant?