“Good price and great location”

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #264 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good price and great location”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Clean, comfortable, affordable and convenient! This Holiday Inn is a few blocks from Penn Station so it's ideal if you're coming to NYC on the train. The room was small but who needs a big room when you're spending most of the day exploring the city?! The staff was helpful. Breakfast is decent and included in the price of the room. There are quite a few choices including eggs, cereal, bagels, etc. Just time your meal around the big school groups so you can find a table. Easy check in and check out. I booked thru the website and got a discount. It's also a good idea to book early as this hotel was full all the nights we were there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fmcs599
, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear member,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we glad to see that your time with us was enjoyed. We hope to see you in the near future and to be once again of service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I am a big fan of IHG hotels. What I like most about them is that with their Express brand, you always know what to expect. This location was no different. The breakfast was the shining star and there was not an additional fee for a King-Sized bed - which is, at least from my experience - common in NYC. The room was a good size for the city. Times Square would have been a nice walk from the hotel, but the rain made it miserable. It was very easy to catch a taxi on 8th Avenue - even in the rain! No complaints here and the staff was friendly (friendlier than many NYC retail clerks I encountered during out trip) and worked efficiently.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa A
Dear Melissa,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we're glad to see that your time with us was more that pleasant. We hope that your future travels guides your our way, we would love to have you again.
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Tiny $300 room. NYC prices always shock me. Front desk staff were friendly and attentive.

I parked my car for two days at $40 per. No in or out. When I picked up my car the attendant practically ran into the hotel and threw my keys on the counter and hurried away. I was left holding a tip in my hand. I commented to the desk staff that it was strange and they agreed. I gave the tip to them.

I gave my car the once over concerned that maybe it had been damaged. No problem there. Drove away and after a couple of miles I noticed my gas gauge. I had about 3/4 tank when I arrived and less than 1/2 tank after parking.

Either the parking lot is in New Jersey or the guys treated my car as their car for a couple of days. Since the passenger seat was obviously moved maybe they went on a date? No way for me to prove it but make note of your mileage.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank SimmJim
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear SimmJim,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edmonton
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I quite enjoyed my stay here with my hubby. We did see the rooms in the basement as the previous poster stated, but that is to be expected when booking third party. We had a 4th floor room with a view of the empire state building (not great, but still could see). I thought it was clean, but small, to be expected in NYC. Loved the location as it was close to Madison Square Garden, Penn Stn., etc. For those who don't think it was close enough to Times Square, you have to pay to stay there. Not $109/nt. Also, for those who book through a third party, you have to know how hotels work and your request will be honored last. Also, requests are just that, requests. Never guaranteed. I am a travel agent, and sometimes it's 50/50, but it never hurts to tip the check in guy, just a tip. Enjoy NYC!!!

Room Tip: Always ask for a high floor facing the Empire State Building!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maried11
AnthonyL865, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and everyone in the Tripadvisor community. We are happy that you enjoyed your time with us; we hope to see you in the near future in you ever find your way back to our great city.
Valencia, Venezuela
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Hotel is a couple of block away from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station and a few blocks from Times Square.
Clean room, good price, helpful staff. Rate includes breakfast, but just so you know, breakfast area is always packed and is kinda difficult to get a table. Me, I'd rather just grab what I want and eat it in the comfort of my room. Breakfast is the same as any HIExpress (killer cinnamon rolls), hot and cold staples, but if you want something else, there's a Panera Bread and a Starbucks around the corner on 7th Ave.
If you have a car, parking is next door and if you pay for valet parking (pretty much the same as self-parking) you have to call about 15 minutes before going out, so you can have you car waiting for you and not the other way around.
Great value for the location!

Room Tip: ask for rooms anywhere but basement or first floor. We were in 3 rooms on the 4th floor (south side...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank marseijas
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing our Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden, we are very happy to learn that your time spent with us was excellent. We appreciate your recommendations for future guest and we hope they will use it while staying in our great city. We look forward to service you again in the future, as that is our main focus. Thank you again for the great review, we hope you have a safe day.