“Beautiful room but let down poorly by lack of service”
Review of The London NYC

The London NYC
Ranked #164 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney
“Beautiful room but let down poorly by lack of service”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I was very excited to stay at The London hotel as the pictures on the website looked amazing. I paid $700 for a room and I have to say it was a lovely room (at first site) and also amazingly large by New York standards as there was a separate bedroom, separate dressing area where I could put my clothes and suitcases away, a rather large bathroom with separate bath tub and shower and also a very big sitting area. I found though that whilst the room looked incredibly chi chi and elegant, it was not very practical. I have rated the room very good for its size. The chaise lounge looked nice but was not great to recline on. What really let this hotel down though was the lack of service. Room service took ages to materialise and housekeeping was really not up to scratch for the money that I paid. For example, I had a glass of red wine on my first night and 4 days later the dirty red wine glass was still on the bar and hadn't been taken away by housekeeping. I had rubbish which wasn't taken away by housekeeping when they cleaned the room. I found front desk to be amazingly unhelpful and the concierge to be uninterested. I called management to try to have these problems rectified but they were not very responsive. The doorman never offered to help with suitcases or with my bags and there was no friendly greeting that you would get from say, the Shangri-la in Singapore when you walked into the hotel even after a few days staying there. I was very disappointed with my stay at The London and would recommend it as a poor choice for a stay in New York due to the lack of service and attention to detail all round.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank MissWizzy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (805)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The room was great and the service was excellent. Great facilities and would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank George G
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just got back from a four night stay here. Great position, lovely spacious room, nice and quiet. Staff on reception were excellent. Like previous comments I would only add that there is nowhere to sit and wait. We ended up choosing to go ahead with our journey to the airport and sit there for an hour more! It would be great to have tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Thought 32$ for two cups of tea in the morning (room service) was a little steep. The cocktail bar was a little disappointing. Staff, with the exception of a female member, were sullen and disinterested and the place looks tired. A visit to the restroom clearly indicated it hadn't been serviced, overflowing bin and no toilet paper and that was early evening!! Fortunately they have more than one. Overall the experience was good, I would stay there again the rooms are delightful, loved the decor and double shower. Bed so comfy thinking I need to change mine at home. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The London… in New York? Is there a New York in London? This is a great choice for a nearly 5 Star property that offers a perfect location for those venturing to the theater every night, without wanting to stay in the fray and hassle of Times Square. I only wish I could love this hotel, instead of really liking it.

Is it perfect? No. Is it a lovely hotel with spacious accommodations with posh interiors? Definitely. I only wish this fine property would up the service and luxury aspect to make this a must-stay New York hotel.

The rooms are the main selling point here—they are very large for any city. Most are suites, if not all. The décor is seemingly understated contemporary. Unfortunately, the “for looks only” living room furniture is poorly made and totally uncomfortable. I could also call it “cheap.” There is also not enough lighting anywhere except the bathroom in this hotel room. It is as if they forgot lighting or someone stole the lamps. This is not acceptable for a supposedly 5 star hotel. Dimmers good. Dark bad.

The bed is comfortable, if not luxurious. Unlike other luxury hotels, you will not crawl in the bed and be taken to a land of “I wish my bed felt this good.” The televisions are also incredibly small. Tiny.

The bathroom was nicely laid out and we really appreciated the double person shower.
As far as service it is friendly, not polished. There is also a feeling that there is no manager on duty—I have no idea if there is, but that is the feeling.

We also had a problem with cigarette smoke in our non-smoking room. On two of our three mornings we had a definite smell of cigarettes being pumped into our ventilation. I called both mornings and was informed that several other people called, but that “this happens sometime.” Not good.

Then there is breakfast and the lobby restaurant. Our deal from Amex came with breakfast. Unfortunately, the breakfast room and offering at The London reeks of low effort and has the presentation of a Marriott. The service is also just standard – at best. Several guests around us were upset with their service and lack of it. The manager also seemed completely incompetent. The food was fine—for the Hilton across the street, and the café itself (doubles for the bar) is worn and in need of a minor makeover. The vinyl on the banquettes should have been replaced a few years ago. The menu is also very limited, and makes you feel they really just want you to get the mediocre buffet laid out on the bar. Yes, it was free. But it was not special in any way.

So, there, that’s The London in New York. If you demand a 5 star property that delivers New York luxury effectively and with all pistons firing – this isn’t for you. But, if you want a perfectly located hotel that is just far enough from Times Square so you can walk to the theater, but not stay there – this is for you. It’s also a great choice for those seeking room size over luxury. I would stay again, but if someone else was paying, and price was no issue – there are 5 star hotels that deliver much more service, luxury and detail to attention.

Room Tip: High floor, or facing the park side.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TRVLtruth
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The London was once my favorite hotel in NY with its spacious rooms, excellent location, very good food and outstanding service. The rooms and the location are still attractive, but the service and restaurant experiences during our last visit were not very good. To be fair, whenever we complained about a service issue, the hotel tried to address it. Unfortunately, a lot of small issues piled up faster than we had the energy to deal with. Examples: housekeeping took away all the soap and the shower cap without replacing them; four used towels (for three people) were taken but replaced with only two; the room charge on the final bill was wrong; there were rarely newspapers available on our floor or at our door in the morning. Somewhat more discouraging was the truly awful service we had at afternoon tea. The server forgot our order until reminded, so it took 30 minutes to arrive. When we requested a refill of hot water, it took another 25 minutes just to get hot water. It was impossible to get her attention to get the bill because she was too busy chatting with another server, so we finally just left payment on the table. One other problem was that there was work being performed on the building, and no mention of this was made until after we checked in. Starting at 8 am each weekday morning, there was extremely loud drilling noise in the room that lasted for hours. It was impossible to sleep or even talk on the phone for most of the day due to the noise levels. I sincerely hope the London can address the service problems that detract from an otherwise wonderful hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family