“Nice”
Review of Kellari Taverna

Kellari Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kellari Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #433 of 13,678 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 25 - USD 60
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th & 6th Aves
Transit: Subway: F, D, B, M; 42nd St. - 6th Avenue 4, 5, 6, 7; Grand Central St N, R, Q; 42nd St. - 7th Avenue Railroad: Long Island Railroad; Long Island and Queens Metro-North; Westchester, Putnam & Connecticut New Jersey Transit; New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia
Description: Kellari Taverna is located in the heart of New York City, three blocks from Grand Central Station, Times Square and the Theater District. The dining room decor evokes a subterranean wine cellar designed with contemporary elegance. Kellari features the traditional Greek taverna specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops and meats, and an eclectic selection of contemporary Hellenic savory appetizers ("mezedes") created by our Corporate Executive Chef, Gregory Zapantis. Our menu also features a variety of Greek cheeses, baked or flamed 'Saganaki' style, as well as a selection of Raw and Marinated seafood. The Kellari dessert menu includes innovative specialties such mastiha pudding and warm sokolata with halva ice cream as as well as traditional favorites such as Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Kellari Taverna offers an extensive international wine list featuring the largest selection of Greek wines available in any U.S. restaurant. About 24 wines are available by-the-glass.
NY
“Nice”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I ate here with three friends on a Friday evening in January, during restaurant week. We had a 6:45 reservation and were seated promptly. The restaurant was extremely busy and lively. Our server asked if we had theater plans - a good sign of the efficient and pleasant service to come. My risotto and scallop appetizer was delicious and nicely presented. (one seared scallop ontop of the risotto). While this is not a Greek dish, it was terrific. One friend had the grape leaf appetizer- said it was good and the other had the Spanakopita, which was delicious. Their wine menu was extensive and offered a nice selection of wines by the glass. I ordered the Kotopoulo - herebed roasted chicken atop feta infused mashed potatoes. This was tasty and was a very generous serving. One companion ordered the seared tuna while two had the Moussaka. The tuna was terrific but the Moussaka was surprisingly only fair. One friend mention that it tasted a bit burnt on the bottom. The desserts were decent but I didn't love the Sokolatina (a dark chocolate tort) and I love chocolate. The honey walnut cake with fig gelato was outstanding.

Overall, we had a good dining experience in that the service was very good, the atmosphere was sophisticated and lively...and the food was nice, with just one notable disappointment with the Moussake.

• Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Shortchanged on the special offer”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We made the mistake of heading here during restaurant week. I had some one dry chicken, which would have been slightly better if there had been any sauce, my
Wife had the moussaka - a block of unseasoned lamb mince. Dessert was a similarly spectacular non event. The only plus was the dirty martini I had to open. The waiter was poor, with us waiting forever for our bottle of wine to be returned to the table for refills. The are better Greek restaurants and many better cuisines in NYC to try. A Greek tragedy.

New York City, New York
“Great Restaurant in Midtown”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We visited for restaurant week and were extremely pleased with the restaurant. The decor was pleasing, the seafood was excellent as well as the dessert. I highly recommend the baklava. I had the seafood dish with shrimp, scallops and muscles with Orzo. My dish was delicious. Also for being restaurant week, the portion sizes were plenty and there was plenty to choose from for the 1st course and 2nd course. I highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely return.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank ncarlo68
Cleveland, Ohio
“The only way to teach a waiter is with the TIP!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Someone before me wrote about attitude of the waiting staff ... we did notice that also. We dined at Kellari twice. And had different waiters one with attitude and one without, but for the money they were getting paid I will take our family elsewhere.
In the Korea town waiters not even once missed an empty glass or a dirty plate. We should've switch the tips amounts.
Other things I'm skipping in my review didn't score any points for Kellari.

Clear Lake, Wisconsin
“Great Greek Restaurant, perfect Spanakopita!”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We had midday drinks and appetizers at Kellari Taverna. The Spanakopita was great, we also had Calamari which was very good. The service was good, and it was a very pleasant atmosphere. We were wishing we had another evening so we could have dinner there, but there are just too many great restaurants in NYC!

• Visited December 2011