New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of National Comedy Theatre New York

National Comedy Theatre New York
Ranked #16 of 137 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the nationally acclaimed National Comedy Theatre. Hilarious improv comedy that is performed every Friday and Saturday night. Appropriate for all audiences.
Doylestown, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A family friendly night of laughs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Our annual trek to New York always includes a stop at the National Comedy Theater. What initially attracted me was that this is family friendly (meaning no cursing and very affordable) and it truly is a fun, safe environment for families with kids. I started bringing my kids when they were about 10. I think any younger than that wouldn't work only because they just wouldn't understand the humor. What keeps us coming back is that each visit is new & fresh, because each comedy sketch is guided by audience input, therefore, each act is different. I highly recommend this night of improv comedy.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Beth T

Schenectady, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great for a Good Laugh!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

My husband, brother, and I went for the 7:30 show. We were unsure of what to expect, but were greatly surprised. The show was excellent! It was set up as a competition between two teams, which competed against each other in improv games. They kept us laughing for most of the night, we were even tempted to stay for the next show. The theater also had a nice little snack bar, popcorn $2 and wine or beer for $5, pretty reasonable priced for NYC. We rode the subway in, but did note that free parking was available on the street in front of the theater. This was a great experience and a nice bar/club alternative. We will go again next time we visit NYC.

Visited July 2011
Hoboken, New Jersey
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Hilarious All-Around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

What a great time. The Improvisers at the National Comedy Theatre are some of the best I've seen. Smart, quick and family friendly. Great date night out and inexpensive. You need a laugh or a dozen? Look no further. Two thumbs way up!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank cyranotony
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Excellent Comedy for Adults (and Ok for tweens as well!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

I am a BIG fan of the Natiional Comedy Theatre here in NYC! I live in the city, and only found this great event when searching for things to do with family visiting from out of town. It is a great place to hang out with adult friends (for less than the price of a movie ticket!), and still appropriate for kids 10 and up : ) The show changes each nite, as do the players, so it never feels the same. Well worth checking out.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank nolaclark2
Katonah, NY
204 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 398 helpful votes
“FUN and great value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I love improv, and this show was a great way to spend the evening. Sadly, the audience was small last night, (it deserves to be full, but it was a cool, rainy night), so it took a liitle while for people to get into it. ONce they got going though, it was non-stop laughing and fun. The comics are very clever, and it is also nice that the show is clean. NOt a single swear word, which I don't mind, but it's always great to see comedy that doesn't rely on crude behavior. I am definitely planning on going another night with a group of friends. PLUS, this place has a big advantage over other clubs in that the tickets are cheap, there are no drink minimums, and the bar is reasonable. A perfect place for a night out in NYC.

Visited June 2011