“Yes it's worth it. One of my best meals ever”
Review of Sushi Nakazawa

Sushi Nakazawa
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Nakazawa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #805 of 15,914 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Went here on a special occasion--treating my 15-yr-old son to the real deal. We are sushi fanatics but without the expense account to back up the habit. While looking for the right Omakase I looked at many and likely could have gotten a very good meal for half the price. However I'm glad we ended up here because everything about the place was extraordinary. The selection while seeming familiar was in fact so far beyond what you would get at a decent sushi place--it was really on another level completely, and the very entertaining chef was very good at discussing the subtle differences in the fish and in what is required to prepare it. If you can afford it--you must go. Months later I still remember the food I ate--and yes my son loved it too. The service and atmosphere are very high-end Japanese--very elegant and quiet; I recommend dressing well. We sat at the sushi bar which is definitely the best way to experience Omakase at this place. Yes there can be over-explaining by the support staff but she will back off once she knows what you're doing. They have a beautiful sake selection and I suggest again putting yourself in their hands and taking their recommendation.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

After watching a clip about chef Nakazawa’s story behind opening this restaurant (and of course his Jiro Dream of Sushi fame) we had to come along, particularly because that he tries to produce New York style omakase. It did not disappoint; we were served at the 10-seat sushi bar over the course of two hours 21 exquisite pieces of sushi featuring fish and seafood from Boston, North Carolina, Japan, amongst others (plus an extra USD 15 each we had both the Japanese wagyu beef sushi and the combo two sea urchin sushi, one from Japan and one from the US) ending with a lychee ice cream and soothing genmaicha (roast rice tea). The sommelier was also very attentive and we ordered the dry umeshu (plum wine) to go with our meal. We booked on OpenTable about a month in advance with little difficulty. Very highly recommend!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Super high quality sushi with great service. The omakase is world class, and they only serve the best fish on the perfect rice in the right ratio. The sake pairing goes just right. Eating at the sushi bar is the better option but harder to get reservations. But the table service omakase is still worth the price.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 16 March 2018

I first tried sushi in '86 and have enjoyed it over these many years.This was my first time having omakase and candidly, it was amazing. I can't say that every piece was the best I've ever had as that would be inaccurate; however, the scallop and ironically the Spanish Mackerel (from the Outer Banks) melted on my mouth! The Toro was superb and the Saki Tasting (basic, not premium option) was well worth the investment! The next time I visit Manhattan, I will be back.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 5 March 2018

The preparation and presentation are awesome the fresh fish is unique and delicious. The service is thoughtful and reserved. The sake flight was a great addition.

Date of visit: December 2017