“A perfect New York day”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 15,768 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 108 - USD 182
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
Reviewed 16 September 2018

For an international visitor, what could be better than a morning at MOMA, lunch at The Modern and a performance of Three Tall Women on Broadway.
The ambience of the restaurant is perfect with a backdrop of the Museum courtyard, service is wonderful - they were on a mission to ensure I could fully enjoy the meal without pressure but also to get me to the show on time.
Everything was perfection and the food is exquisite - a good balance of 3 courses showed the talent of the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,868)

Reviewed 9 September 2018

This beautifully designed restaurant does not disappoint in food, service or ambience. Currently only offering four or eight course meals, the choices could not be more creative or beautifully prepared and presented. A wide and unusual selection will tempt your taste buds and please the eye. Wine selection is broad and well priced. Although not inexpensive, the setting, low noise levels, comfortable seating, professional and friendly staff make this one of the best dining experiences in NYC. This is my fourth visit and each time sparkles.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Modern. This time we managed to make a reservation for dinner. If you don't do that you'll have to wait at least 30 minutes at the bar and they will sit you in the front part of the restaurant, whereas with a reservation you get a table in a much quieter part of the restaurant in the back, nicer to have a good conversation with your friends.
All of the four courses were outstanding. I started with a fois gras that was incredible. Then a lobster fricassée, the main entrée, a suckling pig was divine, especially the crust, and we ended with a dessert that is one of my favorites, black forest, excellent, with a coconut sorbet as a side. The pictures here are the pig and the black forest.
The service of the modern is impecable and good service you recognize by the details. Starting with the sommelier that came promptly to our table just moments after I started reading the wine list. She also never let a glass of wine even half empty.
Also the waiters came in pairs to deliver three plates, so we all got our plates at the same time. Again, nice touch. This happened at each of our four course menu.
The modern is amazing. You will have to pay an expensive price, but if you like to eat well, I would say go for it, at least once. The menu costs 177 dollars, with service *included*.
Anyway, that is what I said in the first time and, look at me now, writing about my second visit .
Enjoy.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

We celebrated my husband's birthday at The Modern's Chief's Table. First thing you have to know - it's expensive. Second thing you have to know - it is the only experience of its kind in NYC. You sit within the kitchen and get to watch the whole operation while each dish is brought over and explained by a chief who prepared the dish. And I guess the other thing to know, all the dishes are very rich and unique. So I wouldn't suggest this for someone who likes basic dishes or doesn't enjoy expanding their taste buds.

While I booked the reservation months before, they called the day before to see if I had any requests or suggestions for the meal. They were able to honor my seafood allergy without a problem. While still giving my husband all the seafood dishes that he loves.

Every dish was wonderful but beyond that it was amazing to be able to sit in the kitchen of a Michelin rated restaurant and watch the whole production.

1  Thank c1045ef
Reviewed 1 September 2018

First, let me say we did not order the most expensive wines or entrees and this was the MOST expensive meal we have had anywhere.....and we travel a lot. There are apparently 2 venues in the restaurant. We were attracted to the one overlooking the courtyard.....an expensive decision. There is also one as you walk in that might have the same menu at lesser cost.

1  Thank BayHeadTravelinBear