“A New Must-See in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 1,068 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The High Line is an elevated railway transformed into a public park on Manhattan's West Side. The park features lush horticulture, artworks, seasonal food vendors, community programming, and unique views of the Hudson River and New York City skyline. The High Line runs between Gansevoort Street to West 34th Street, between 10th and 12th Avenues. Friends of the High Line raises 98% of the High Line’s annual budget. Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is a public park maintained, operated, and programmed by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking
USA
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“A New Must-See in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have visited the High Line twice so far, once alone in the freezing weather and once with my husband on a beautiful day. Both times, the HIgh Line was buzzing with people walking, sitting, eating lunch, and just enjoying this wonderful attraction.

The HIgh Line is primarily a walking path with plantings and benches and sunchairs on the sides. It currently runs from around Gansevoort to 30th Street, with plans in place to extend to (I think) 34th Street. I think that this was the most inventive and excellent use of old, unused railroad tracks. The High LIne provides views of the Hudson River as well as many NYC streets, and also offers a great way to get from one end to the other without traffic ! I understand that the warmer months will bring food and beverage vendors: I certainly could have used a nice cup of coffee while walking there in winter!

I have only a few comments/suggestions for the Park Dept/ Friends of the HIgh Line:
1) please add signs on the High Line to identify the street that each stairway is on . I had to look for landmarks to remember which stairway would lead me to 14th Street. It would be helpful to visitors. 2) it is wonderful that there are restrooms available, but I hope that more will be added. The ladies room, even in February, had a LONG line and only two toilets. 3) I noticed that many people were tripping over the ends of the benches and the raised areas that marked the "garden" areas because they are made of the same concrete as the walkway and blend in very easily. So.... Walkers, please be alert. If you are looking around and/or wearing sunglasses, it is very easy to trip over the concrete areas that are raised.

For information about the High Line, visit its website. It's very informative.

I highly recommend walking the High Line. What a great addition to an already amazing city!

Visited February 2012

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Views and Plants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I'm so glad we went to the High Line when we visited. I definitely plan to go back. We rested in the shade and ate ice cream sandwiches.

Some of the sculpture stuff seems to bottleneck traffic, but it wasn't too bad.

I highly recommend a visit to the High Line.

Visited July 2011
Melbourne
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

It was a rainy day, so we didn't get the best value of our walk through this park and the nearby Chelsea Markets. But it was impossible to miss the fact that this is a quiet corner of New York that provides plenty of walking advantures.

Visited February 2012
Bronx, New York
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What do you give a city that has everything?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Well another green space built on the remains of the industrial age. That's what.

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I hadn't heard of this place, but a friend who lives in NYC recommended it. I really enjoyed it! It's in Chelsea which isn't somewhere really on my tourist path, so I enjoyed seeing a different part of the city. I entered from 23rd St and 10th Ave, but there are many easily accessible entrances. Just look for the elevated walkway and a stairs or elevator leading up. The path is elevated above the streets and follows an old rail track, offering lovely views of the city and the water. It even has some very cool birdhouses along the way. This is a great place to spend an afternoon, and best of all - it's free!

Visited March 2012